Movies

Red was very good I enjoyed it a lot.I love Kevin Smith and well this movie was ok, was not what I expected but hey it is Kevin

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan too, and even got to see him last night. Great seats and a fantastic night. It was the final night of the 'Jay and Silent Bob get old' tour in Vicar St. Did anyone else get to see them on this run? I'm off to the framers on Saturday with my signed poster. (nerdgasm)

I also got to see Pacinos new flick (Wilde Salome) this week. The jameson film festival is running here so he showed up for a speech before hand plus q and a afterwards. My girlfriend got to touch his shoulder as he walked by which has made her millenium :) If I'm totally honest I wasn't too thrilled with the movie, but nobody tell the gf that or she'll leave me!

The Help

This is one of my favorite new movies in the last few years. I grew up in Northern Louisiana about three hours drive to Jackson, MS. When I was born there were they were just getting rid of separate water fountains and toilets for "White" and "Black."

When I started second grade they started desegregation in my Parrish. I had the first black teacher in an all white elementary school during the second grade. In the third grade, they started busing in the children. For me, it was a blessing. Our school district--in spite of what they may have said about public education in Louisiana at the time could not have handled it better. My second grade teacher was the first and ONLY black person in my formerly all white school. She won over here class of 2nd graders on day one. Not only was she a good teacher, but she was also a compassionate and brave individual. I will never forget her.

Back to the movie, "The Help."

I'm sure everyone did not love this film the way I have (five times now) but if you have not watched it I encourage you to do so prior to the Oscars on Sunday night. Then route for Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer to win in the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories. Ms. Davis delivers one of the greatest all time performances in her role. She can make tears well in my eyes without saying a word. Ms. Spencer--in the supporting also gives an Oscar caliber performance. She provides comic relief throughout the film.

The entire ensemble cast is IMO plain perfect. The hateful Hillie with her bridge club bitches, Skeeter (Eugenia), is brilliantly played by relative newcomer, Emma Stone, who dares to write a book from the perspective of the colored help. Sissy Spacek as Hillie's aging mother with the onset of dementia, the little girl who plays, Abeline's last "little girl" is a brilliant young child actress. Allison Janney also delivers IMO her best performance ever as Skeeters mother. Cicily Tyson, although her screen time is minimal--her impact powerful and moving. And perhaps aside from Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain's portrayal of Mrs. Celia Foote is so endearing and so funny. How could any man resist this woman---and how could anyone not be endeared to her character. Lets not forget to mention Mary Steenburgen as Elain Stein, the boss a the publishing firm in NYC.

There is not a bad performance in this movie but it is no chick flick or boring artsy fartsy movie the Academy embraced because of political reasons or because all the critics loved it so much. For me this movie succeeds on so many levels. It remains even handed and never goes low brow with lynch mob scenes or the like. There is plenty of comic relief and I consider it to be a modern classic.

I know the Oscars are boring but I will be watching on Sunday to see Ms Davis and almost certainly, Ms Spencer accept their well deserved Oscar Trophies. I don't see how it could possibly lose in the "Best Adapted Screenplay" category and an unprecedented sweep may be in store.

But even if it does not win a single Oscar, unless you are a prejudiced and heartless individual do yourself a favor if you have not done so already. Rent and watch "The Help."

Just remember:

1. You is kind.
  2. You is Smart
  3. You is Important!

We don't go to see new movies anymore. Don't like greasy floors and seats, overpriced gooey, chewy popcorn, and small screens. LOL Our flat screen at home works just fine for movies when they show up on Starz or whatever. And my popcorn is excellent. :D

Some of my favorite movies (no particular order):

Dogma (sacrilegious - it offends all religions equally - and funny as hell. Hubby hated it.)
Lair of the Whiteworm (funny, horror, I bought it on DVD. We watch it every Hween.)
The Philadelphia Story (Grant, Stewart, Hepburn -- I could watch it a thousand times and still laugh so much I miss dialog)
Bladerunner (I had to buy a new DVD, the old 8" doesn't work in our newer dvd player)
Babe (sorry.... you just never know what might strike my fancy:)
Shawshank Redemption
Ice Age (see 'Babe' above LOL)
Matrix trilogy
The Man Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain (quiet, funny, endearing)
Local Hero (Another I could watch a zillion times and never get tired of it)
Seven (crime, serial killer, Morgan Freeman... what else could you ask for? LOL)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (aliens and Dreyfuss)
Men in Black (Tommy Lee Jones and aliens and funny)

More than enough for now. LOL

All but very few new movies bore me or strike me with that 'haven't I seen this before?' feeling. Due to my age I suppose. They remake too many movies.

Last three films I watched:

IronLady - Excellent acting allround, very interesting
Rabbit Hole - Great story, good acting, well worth watching
The Guard - Dark, funny and classically Irish

I have had a good run of films of late :)

I've been told that I should watch that movie The Help several times so I guess I'll pick it up on my way home tonight. It sounds like my kind of movie :)

I fully agree on everything you said about The Help.
It is an excellent movie, and as you said, NOT a chickflick at all, so if anyone didn't watch it yet, I'm not afraid to recommend it.

This is one of my favorite new movies in the last few years. I grew up in Northern Louisiana about three hours drive to Jackson, MS. When I was born there were they were just getting rid of separate water fountains and toilets for "White" and "Black."

When I started second grade they started desegregation in my Parrish. I had the first black teacher in an all white elementary school during the second grade. In the third grade, they started busing in the children. For me, it was a blessing. Our school district--in spite of what they may have said about public education in Louisiana at the time could not have handled it better. My second grade teacher was the first and ONLY black person in my formerly all white school. She won over here class of 2nd graders on day one. Not only was she a good teacher, but she was also a compassionate and brave individual. I will never forget her.

Back to the movie, "The Help."

I'm sure everyone did not love this film the way I have (five times now) but if you have not watched it I encourage you to do so prior to the Oscars on Sunday night. Then route for Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer to win in the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories. Ms. Davis delivers one of the greatest all time performances in her role. She can make tears well in my eyes without saying a word. Ms. Spencer--in the supporting also gives an Oscar caliber performance. She provides comic relief throughout the film.

The entire ensemble cast is IMO plain perfect. The hateful Hillie with her bridge club bitches, Skeeter (Eugenia), is brilliantly played by relative newcomer, Emma Stone, who dares to write a book from the perspective of the colored help. Sissy Spacek as Hillie's aging mother with the onset of dementia, the little girl who plays, Abeline's last "little girl" is a brilliant young child actress. Allison Janney also delivers IMO her best performance ever as Skeeters mother. Cicily Tyson, although her screen time is minimal--her impact powerful and moving. And perhaps aside from Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain's portrayal of Mrs. Celia Foote is so endearing and so funny. How could any man resist this woman---and how could anyone not be endeared to her character. Lets not forget to mention Mary Steenburgen as Elain Stein, the boss a the publishing firm in NYC.

There is not a bad performance in this movie but it is no chick flick or boring artsy fartsy movie the Academy embraced because of political reasons or because all the critics loved it so much. For me this movie succeeds on so many levels. It remains even handed and never goes low brow with lynch mob scenes or the like. There is plenty of comic relief and I consider it to be a modern classic.

I know the Oscars are boring but I will be watching on Sunday to see Ms Davis and almost certainly, Ms Spencer accept their well deserved Oscar Trophies. I don't see how it could possibly lose in the "Best Adapted Screenplay" category and an unprecedented sweep may be in store.

But even if it does not win a single Oscar, unless you are a prejudiced and heartless individual do yourself a favor if you have not done so already. Rent and watch "The Help."

Just remember:

1. You is kind.
  2. You is Smart
  3. You is Important!

I hope you find a copy if you are going to rent . . .

I've been told that I should watch that movie The Help several times so I guess I'll pick it up on my way home tonight. It sounds like my kind of movie :)

Hello Lizzy, I hope you are able to find an available copy if you are renting--"The Help." I'm certain you will laugh and cry. Movies like this are rare--especially these days. Hollywood grinds them out like cheap sausages spending ungodly amounts of money to produce absolute crap the vast majority of the time.

I hope I haven't set the expectation too high. Please let me know how you liked it.

Duplicate posting--probably losing too much sleep to gambling :)

I quoted jezebel incorrectly. Ignore this post.

Last edited:
What a great list of classics . . .

and from my fave posted earlier

Im Brian, No Im Brian, Im Brian and so's my wife :lolsign:

Some of my fave classic movies

The Sting
The Shining
Psycho
All The Presidents Men
Marathon Man
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dirty Dozen
Bridge on the River Kwai
Deer Hunter
North by Northwest (Always remeber the scene in the restaurant where you can see the lil kid in the background put his fingers in his ears before the gunshot)

Every movie on your list is in my top 50. I love 70s movies so much. I'm just going to throw two titles out there:

Network-- It's as if the writers had a crystal ball into the future of Network Television. Although Black Comedy is not usually my cup of tea, "Network" is one of my all time favorites.

The Way We Were-- Streisand gives IMO the best best performance of her career. The chemistry she has with Robert Redford combined with his brilliant portrayal of Hubble Gardner is magical. Most love stories fall flat on their face. While there are numerous excellent Romantic Comedies, The Way We Were is a love story in the purist form. I cannot think of another movie in that genre made after 1970 that succeeds the way this film does.

The Iron Lady vs The Help Two brilliant performances

Favorite movie=Band of Brothers

Just saw The Iron Lady. Meryl Streep is awesome and definitely deserves an Oscar for her performance. Really interesting take on alzheimers.

Saw Breaking Dawn about 4 times=another Twilight fan:)

I completely agree. Meryl Streep DOES deserve an Oscar yet again. But she already has two and holds the record for nominations.

There has only been one tie in the Best Actress Category. That was 1968 when Barbra Streisand won for "Funny Girl" (deservedly so IMO) and of course the late great Katherine Hepburn picking up her third for "The Lion in Winter."

Wouldn't it be something if there were a tie this year for Viola Davis in "The Help" and Meryl Streep for "The Iron Lady?" I doubt it will happen and if I were a gambling man--wait a minute--I AM :) I would bet $5000 that Viola Davis will win on Sunday.

I'm a total horror movie junkie. I'm pretty sure that I've seen every ghost story, zombie apocalypse, demons and exorcism, and slasher flick ever made, lol. Nothing overly good of late though...except for Insidious, which someone already mentioned. Made me jump more than once, but hated the ending.

This past weekend, I just downloaded "The Grey" w/Liam Neeson, and "The Woman In Black" with a grown up Harry Potter, lol. The Grey I thought was a simply outstanding movie about the will to survive, even when you think you've given up and have nothing left to live for. Once again however, I detested the ending, which you only really see if you sit through ALL the credits at the end. Woman In Black was a decent ghost story, better than expected. I also burned Underworld Awakening onto the same disc, but haven't watched it as yet.

Toss up for me as to my fav movie(s) of all time. Braveheart, the complete LOTR trilogy is beyond brilliant, John Carpenter's original Halloween for edge of your seat suspense, The Exorcist (which still gives me nightmares), Pulp Fiction (or anything Tarantino), and almost anything with Jack Nicholson in it...all rank in my top ten I'd say. I know there's more, but I seem to be having a blond moment, lol.

I did pick up the movie Courageous. It's a religous movie, but has a GREAT message about committing to being the best parent you can be (it's based around father's, but I think it could stand for any parent who wants to make a resolve to their children!). Deeply moving, and makes you think about how many times we as parents take for granted what we think our children know/feel.

I did read the book The Help, and if like so many movies made from books...I'm usually disappointed in the movies. I should stop reading I guess LOL I do intend on buying it though, my mother said it wasn't bad (she read the book first also).

My youngest grandson and I have a "date" to go to the movie store on Sunday (he's going to finally spend the gift money I gave him for Christmas), so I will probably be leaving with a few more movies to add to my collection.

I'm a total horror movie junkie. I'm pretty sure that I've seen every ghost story, zombie apocalypse, demons and exorcism, and slasher flick ever made, lol. Nothing overly good of late though...except for Insidious, which someone already mentioned. Made me jump more than once, but hated the ending.

This past weekend, I just downloaded "The Grey" w/Liam Neeson, and "The Woman In Black" with a grown up Harry Potter, lol. The Grey I thought was a simply outstanding movie about the will to survive, even when you think you've given up and have nothing left to live for. Once again however, I detested the ending, which you only really see if you sit through ALL the credits at the end. Woman In Black was a decent ghost story, better than expected. I also burned Underworld Awakening onto the same disc, but haven't watched it as yet.

Toss up for me as to my fav movie(s) of all time. Braveheart, the complete LOTR trilogy is beyond brilliant, John Carpenter's original Halloween for edge of your seat suspense, The Exorcist (which still gives me nightmares), Pulp Fiction (or anything Tarantino), and almost anything with Jack Nicholson in it...all rank in my top ten I'd say. I know there's more, but I seem to be having a blond moment, lol.

You havent seen all of 'em yet at least not the Chinese ones and those produced in Hong Kong.

No wonder one of your earlier avis was one from a horror movie - Texas Chainsaw massacre?

Have to agree on not many great horror movies of late, how blessed the 70's early 80's were for brilliant slasher films and classics by Argento, Craven, Romero, Bava, Fulci, Cronenberg etc Last decents one for me would be Zombieland, original REC and a few others

Watched Underworld last weekend, i think bits of the whole film would have made a great first half to a movie.

Still get a chill up my spine from the Exorcist spiderwalk and the creepyness of the opening scene with the market place, dogs barking.

You havent seen all of 'em yet at least not the Chinese ones and those produced in Hong Kong.

No wonder one of your earlier avis was one from a horror movie - Texas Chainsaw massacre?

With some gore filled cheesy classics like Zombie Ass, Machine Girl, Tetsuo, Audition, Battle Royal etc i did like some of the chinese ghost movies. Even some of the indonesian, filo movies are getting quite good :p

One movie that Jack Nicholson stars in that I really love is One flew over the cuckoo's nest, great movie:D really funny, oh and the other one that he plays an obsessive compulsive, can't remember the name of it:oops:

As Good As It Gets

One movie that Jack Nicholson stars in that I really love is One flew over the cuckoo's nest, great movie:D really funny, oh and the other one that he plays an obsessive compulsive, can't remember the name of it:oops:

I agree. He has so many great movies but those are definitely two of the best IMO.

Just watched The Grey starring Liam Neeson, great film, also watched The woman in Black, to be honest, it has a high rating on IMDB, I find that it's slow and boring with a poor ending.

Yes for Octavia Spencer and No for Viola Davis :(

There is no question that Meryl Streep's performance was Oscar worthy. She is IMO the greatest actress of our time. Is there any role she cannot play to perfection? I still would have liked to see Ms. Davis win but it doesn't really matter. They were two great performances in two very different movies.

Certainly, Meryl Streep deserves her third trophy to tie Katherine Hepburn. I wouldn't be surprised if she breaks that record in the next few years.

One more thing about the movie, As Good AS It Gets . . .

You know, I did not actually see this film until about a year ago. It was a cold and rainy day and I was off work. My best friend had the DVD and I had never really even cared to watch it. My preconceptions of the movie were completely off. I always found it hard to believe that Helen Hunt won an Oscar for her role in the film until I watched it.

As it turns out, it is definitely in my top ten favorites of all time. What an incredible film.

You know, I did not actually see this film until about a year ago. It was a cold and rainy day and I was off work. My best friend had the DVD and I had never really even cared to watch it. My preconceptions of the movie were completely off. I always found it hard to believe that Helen Hunt won an Oscar for her role in the film until I watched it.

As it turns out, it is definitely in my top ten favorites of all time. What an incredible film.

Couldn't agree with you more, really great film, great script and great acting:)

Just finished watching the recent Tin Tin movie, quite enjoyable.

Got Hugo to watch tonight or tomorrow.

Tin Tin is a great film for the family, actually it was a surprise to me as I never liked the cartoon as a kid:D

Hugo :what: it's okay but not exceptional, my kids didn't really enjoy watching it, it's very slow.

The polar Express is a great film for the young at heart and the children:D

THE HELP

I was recommended 'The Help' to watch, I watched this last night, IMO I would give it 10/10 for acting, storyline and some laugh out loud moments:D, One of the best films I have watched in a long time:)

Thanks Patrick,

Mary:thumbsup:

If anyone wants to stream movies online, just go to movie2k, great site, putlocker is the best to use to stream.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back