Move up stakes?

winbig

Keep winning this amount.
Just a quick question....

I've built my BR from a measly $30 to over $500 in 2.5 days, and was wondering if I should move up in stakes or just stay where I am and build my BR more?

I've been playing (and crushing) the $25 and $50 PLO and NLHE tables...

Any insight would be great ;) :notworthy

You`re just in upswing period. You are playing way over your limit now and if You move up it will only take 1 losing session to lose everything. I don`t know how You cope with tilting but one really sick suckout can make You do things which You would not do normally, keep you playing when it is obvious its not your day. If you`re not that good at poker just stick to nl5/10, $0.05/0.10, tables and this is for holdem, in omaha one can never be to certain what is the proper bankroll to play at which stake.

On the other hand, if You have good control over yourself, meaning you done it in the past, keep moving up until you get sucked out for the first time and then switch to really conservative bankroll management, 50 buyins, until it stops. I don`t have that much control of myself for the first 5 minutes while playing with loose bankroll management. Playing limits with only few buyins behind me makes me nervous enough so when suckout happens I just tilt for few minutes like hell and this can be disastrous to my bankroll.

Don`t get me wrong here just offering my view, your money - your call.

Actually I did an about face....I decided to w/d a bit and treat myself to a major tourney - the Sunday Warm-Up for $215. Even after that I have $130 behind. I'll move down stakes again to $10 tables and work up again from there.

We're in 2nd break right now and I'm in the middle of the pack, so I'm holding my own...I was almost out, but not now thanks to a great read :)

PokerStars Game #35398156153: Tournament #219020016, $200+$15 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (300/600) - 2009/11/15 14:53:42 ET
Table '219020016 201' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: tthe killer. (15456 in chips)
Seat 2: poppiekimmie (77160 in chips)
Seat 3: meatwad_72 (9589 in chips)
Seat 4: millions2310 (3725 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: Lucky_Luk3 (19645 in chips)
Seat 6: Willem09 (9228 in chips)
Seat 7: DiscoveryPP (40764 in chips)
Seat 8: AceQuad (13098 in chips)
tthe killer.: posts the ante 25
poppiekimmie: posts the ante 25
meatwad_72: posts the ante 25
millions2310: posts the ante 25
Lucky_Luk3: posts the ante 25
Willem09: posts the ante 25
DiscoveryPP: posts the ante 25
AceQuad: posts the ante 25
poppiekimmie: posts small blind 300
meatwad_72: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to meatwad_72 [9d Ac]
millions2310: folds
Lucky_Luk3: folds
Willem09: folds
Jysky11 is connected
DiscoveryPP: folds
AceQuad: folds
tthe killer.: folds
poppiekimmie: raises 600 to 1200
meatwad_72: calls 600
*** FLOP *** [Ks 6c 4h]
poppiekimmie: bets 600
meatwad_72: raises 1200 to 1800
poppiekimmie: calls 1200
*** TURN *** [Ks 6c 4h] [9h]
poppiekimmie: checks
meatwad_72: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ks 6c 4h 9h] [Qh]
poppiekimmie: bets 4800
meatwad_72: calls 4800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
poppiekimmie: shows [3d 7c] (high card King)
meatwad_72: shows [9d Ac] (a pair of Nines)
meatwad_72 collected 15800 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 15800 | Rake 0
Board [Ks 6c 4h 9h Qh]
Seat 1: tthe killer. (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: poppiekimmie (small blind) showed [3d 7c] and lost with high card King
Seat 3: meatwad_72 (big blind) showed [9d Ac] and won (15800) with a pair of Nines
Seat 4: millions2310 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Lucky_Luk3 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Willem09 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: DiscoveryPP folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: AceQuad folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I hate super-aggressive players, you never know what they got....can be very dangerous...

My JJ ran up against AA on a low board....any other player and I fold have folded...oh well.

Off to have fun at $100 PLO tables...Tired of grinding :) Just gotta play smart.

Down, but never out :)

It pays to be lucky...I flopped an underset and was dead to a 7..

Dealer: Game #35411002977: meatwad_72 wins side pot ($190.30) with four of a kind, Sevens
Dealer: Game #35411002977: meatwad_72 wins main pot ($126.30) with four of a kind, Sevens

Now only if I hadn't played in that tourney, I'd have about $600 now...ahhh well :)

Playing PLO50 with a $500 bankroll, you should not move up in stakes, but move down. You have just 10 buy-ins, and in a swingy game as PLO, this is dangerously low.

Hi WinBig!

Here's a link to something that could be very useful.

I tend to agree that you're moving up too quickly. If you're killing the PLO and NLHE tables (well done by the way), what's the urgency in moving up so quickly? What got you to this point, was grinding it out. I think that the safe bet is to have at least 80-100 buy-ins, but I would be content and secure enough with no less than 40; otherwise it's just too risky.

A few weeks ago, I was grinding it out over at PokerTime at the .09/.01 Sit&Go 5-seat tournaments, fighting with a just a couple of bucks, slowly bringing that up to $20 (and that was a VERY tough grind), and then I jumped up to the .50 cent buy-in tournaments. If you're good enough (and sounds like you are), you're going to get there anyway, why not play it safe and build-on your bankroll; and don't jeopardize it in any way.

Moving up slowly sure seems boring, but if you graph/chart/record your sessions, it may help to motivate you to make the right play. The process of getting there can be fun. Here's a great tool (and it's free) from a great site, to help you see and review your progress:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson was on record saying that he built-up a $10,000 (now apparently $25,000) bankroll, with only a $1 deposit to start him off (although he busted-out on his first dollar so had to redeposit for another $1 so it's actually $2). He said that once he made about $16, he knew that he would never lose. Over the period of something like 6 months, he claimed that he really had to grind-it-out, and that it wasn't easy moving up levels as quickly as he would have liked. He kept to his plan, and that he couldn't move up unless he had at least 100 buy-ins (I seem to recall). So, if he went on a bad streak, he had to move down a level and work his way back up.

Ferguson was already a millionaire many times over when he started this project, he really didn't need to waste his time doing that, but if he went through all of that trouble to see if his method was good enough, I'm going to guess it's good for everyone else.

If you want to hear some solid interviews about how some of the top ranked online poker stars built their bankroll, I'd check out PocketFives.com Podcast page (
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
).

I hope that some of this helps. :)

Steed

***​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back