Mayan Calender

immortality

Dormant account
So we now are at the end of May in the year of our lord 2012, there has been a hell of a lot of hype about the dreaded "Doomsday":p
(sorry in advance, I thought this would be a fun topic lol)

So who thinks that the world is headed for an abrupt end this year?

A recent poll declared that 1 in 5 americans believe the world will end 21st December this year, ( I doubt very much that this is every citizen in America that was interviewed lol)

I doubt the world will end, but it will definitely change as the climate of the earth is ever changing, heck it's been changing since the dawn of time...

So we now are at the end of May in the year of our lord 2012, there has been a hell of a lot of hype about the dreaded "Doomsday":p

A recent poll declared that 1 in 5 americans believe the world will end 21st December this year, ( I doubt very much that this is every citizen in America that was interviewed lol)

I doubt the world will end, but it will definitely change as the climate of the earth is ever changing, heck it's been changing since the dawn of time...

My question is.....how could the Mayans predict the end of the world on a precise date in 5000 years time? It's a load of youknowwhat.

It's simply the end of a calendar cycle, just like the ones we have on our kitchen wall. The calendar has to end sometime, and afaik there is still arguments about the exact end date and some experts believe it has already ended.

Let's face it..if its all over in December, we can't do anything about it so why worry?

People have always been looking for doomsday. :p

Every couple of years you'll hear about doomsday cults of one type or another-
Usually if they're the type to get all suicidal. :/

One of the major misconceptions is that the Mayan Calandar 'ends'.
Mayans, in fact, belived the world was in ages, or cycles- the end of an age, or cycle was cause of celebration.

It heralds the beginning of a new age.

The world /may/ very well end this year on the 21st of December this year:
But the end we find may be some kind of fundemental new beginning.

Perhaps some event will be traced back in 50 years. A minor discovery that unlocks an amazing potential.
Perhaps on the 21st, the SETI project's mission will be considered a success?

Think about that one: With the question 'Are we alone'. answered with certainty; Would we be living in the same world anymore?

Mayans, in fact, belived the world was in ages, or cycles- the end of an age, or cycle was cause of celebration.

Perhaps some event will be traced back in 50 years. A minor discovery that unlocks an amazing potential.

Think about that one: With the question 'Are we alone'. answered with certainty; Would we be living in the same world anymore?

The 'universe' is vast and beyond our understanding, still.

I cannot and do not believe we (Earth) is the only planet that has life, (as we know it ;)).

Our minds cannot fathom the extent of space.

I don't care what the 'informed' say, I believe we are not alone......

...but don't get me started on 'if dreams are reality'..thing.

The 'universe' is vast and beyond our understanding, still.

I cannot and do not believe we (Earth) is the only planet that has life, (as we know it ;)).

Our minds cannot fathom the extent of space.

I don't care what the 'informed' say, I believe we are not alone......

...but don't get me started on 'if dreams are reality'..thing.

I don't disagree whatsoever!

In this case, however, I'm speaking very specifically to the Mayan Calender and how its been misrepresented.
Sensationalism sells books. It sells movies. It sells documentaries.

Since 2010- you've seen an upswing of all things 'We gunna die in 2012'.

Because it sells.

People are WAY more morbid and macabre than any of us would like to admit.

I, for one, always slow at horrible road accidents.... Praying that I 'don't' see a corpse.

Secretly. I do kinda want to see if someone died- to confirm with my own eyes. I'm /really/ curious.

We are secretly, I feel, Much darker than we are willing to admit. ;)

Why else would Reality TV be so popular? The most popular stuff all seems to be little more than dressed up torture-programing.. (FOR ALL THE DOSH, EAT THIS LIVE ELK's FRESHLY REMOVED TESTICAL LOVINGLY SMOUTHERED IN THE LIQUIFIED NASTYBITS OF THIS EVENING'S PIG-ROAST!)

Anywho. My point: Beware of advertising and social engineering. Its more places than you know.

My roomie and I just finished dealing with this week's recycling. Then got to mop up all the masty soured cottage cheese that plopped the bottom of of the paper bag for kitchen waste. We sort and box and bag and tie everything, and deal with garbage nights that shift after every holiday.

If the world ends this year, I'm gonna be seriously pissed at all the time I've spent trying to save it.

I don't disagree whatsoever!

In this case, however, I'm speaking very specifically to the Mayan Calender and how its been misrepresented.
Sensationalism sells books. It sells movies. It sells documentaries.

Since 2010- you've seen an upswing of all things 'We gunna die in 2012'.

Because it sells.

People are WAY more morbid and macabre than any of us would like to admit.

I, for one, always slow at horrible road accidents.... Praying that I 'don't' see a corpse.

Secretly. I do kinda want to see if someone died- to confirm with my own eyes. I'm /really/ curious.

We are secretly, I feel, Much darker than we are willing to admit. ;)

Why else would Reality TV be so popular? The most popular stuff all seems to be little more than dressed up torture-programing.. (FOR ALL THE DOSH, EAT THIS LIVE ELK's FRESHLY REMOVED TESTICAL LOVINGLY SMOUTHERED IN THE LIQUIFIED NASTYBITS OF THIS EVENING'S PIG-ROAST!)

Anywho. My point: Beware of advertising and social engineering. Its more places than you know.

Raw honesty!:cool:

I have always wanted to know more about advertising and marketing...take for instance another reality show( 'The Pitch'...a reality show based upon the non-reality show , Madmen'. lol...sorry for YET another reality show to the 'list'.

We can sell anything to sell, just by 'illusion'. AND what 'we' want to hear if it fits what is actually real-time..i.e foreclosures, banks, cars and how we are all in the 'same boat'...so there fore we can be 'safe' knowing we can afford another loan....because we are allowed due to the downfall of sub-prime corporate greed.

Sorry for derail:

Yes, we we will all die at the end of this year.:D

I dont read in to any of it, it will end when it ends, if im alive shit happens, if im already dead stuff all i can do about then as a pile of dust.:cool:

Whenever i hear doomsday i either think of Superman or a bit from a Billy Connolly concert

Swearing below .... it is Billy Connolly lol :D

"Do you remember, about two weeks ago or something, Doomsday! Astrologers, they say it was like the end of the world. Stay at home. All those limp-wristed guys on television: "Stay at home, it's Doomsday. Because Uranus is in the cusp of Saturn, and Gemini is rising. And it's... the whole fucking thing is in a dreadful state. So, whatever you do, get under the fucking bed, and don't move a muscle, 'cause you are all fucked. Basically." Fucking nothing happened, I was so disappointed! I thought it was the end of the world, I thought, fuck it, I'll just stay in my bed. Not a bloody sausage, I was so bloody dis... And last week, there was a big storm on the sun. Whusshh. It's gonna effect radio, it's gonna effect this, and planes are gonna fall out of the sky. Fuck all! Nothing! So can we put an end to this. Stop heaving experts onto the telly, especially astrologers. I mean, Doomsday! They were back on the following day: "Oh, you're a Gemini, I can tell"

Seems funny that with your handle you would start this thread. Actually, from time to time I hear about these stories and I used to give them some thought. However, I just shrug it off and continue with my daily life fighting.

If the Mayan mythology is true it's going to be frustrating for so many who probably wanted to say "see....I told you it would happen" but won't be there to do so:D

I think we are currently in the 5th age, the IChing calender also ends on december this year, though the Mayans were expert mathematicians, the very fact that the Sun calender is round is a story in itself, no beginning, no end:)

Brian Cox has long been my favorite - used to be rock star hilarious genius particle physicist. He works at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN and can be seen on many talk shows, panel shows and hosting science documentaries. Here's his take on the Mayan apocalypse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back