How do you guys deal with a big chip loss?

dave1888

10 years here meister!
PABnononaccred2
mm1
Ok so I really need some advice about keeping a cool head at the tables especially after losing a ton of chips like I just did I mean cmon was in 5th place with 27k in chips get JJ nobody raises me so of course I raise it up he flats which concerned me a bit flop is completely low :) great right? it was 832 So have over pair to board so of course I bet him he insta calls me again this concerned me then another 2 comes... I didn't put him on a set of 2s because it wouldn't fit the one hand I contemplated him holding was 88. Nevertheless my hand was too strong and because I just did not put him on an overpair because of his preflop actions I kept re-raising him till he was all in and sure enough my worst fears were answered lucky bugger had only flopped a set and turned a full house! but because the flop was all low cards as I said I thought he may have it but it was a longshot surely or so I thought! So now I had lost 16k in chips several expletives followed fn this fn lucky you know the drill and a slam of my desk for good measure! So how on earth do people stay calm following a bad loss like that because after that I just crumbled a few coolers happened as usual then I get an ace and raise it almost all in then just shove him and of course he has 99! and no ace comes! Played my fn ass off in this tourney is the main reason I am steamed! Any tips to keep a cool head after a dire hit to my stack?! I seem to be on tilt every tournament right now!

Ok so I really need some advice about keeping a cool head at the tables especially after losing a ton of chips like I just did I mean cmon was in 5th place with 27k in chips get JJ nobody raises me so of course I raise it up he flats which concerned me a bit flop is completely low :) great right? it was 832 So have over pair to board so of course I bet him he insta calls me again this concerned me then another 2 comes... I didn't put him on a set of 2s because it wouldn't fit the one hand I contemplated him holding was 88. Nevertheless my hand was too strong and because I just did not put him on an overpair because of his preflop actions I kept re-raising him till he was all in and sure enough my worst fears were answered lucky bugger had only flopped a set and turned a full house! but because the flop was all low cards as I said I thought he may have it but it was a longshot surely or so I thought! So now I had lost 16k in chips several expletives followed fn this fn lucky you know the drill and a slam of my desk for good measure! So how on earth do people stay calm following a bad loss like that because after that I just crumbled a few coolers happened as usual then I get an ace and raise it almost all in then just shove him and of course he has 99! and no ace comes! Played my fn ass off in this tourney is the main reason I am steamed! Any tips to keep a cool head after a dire hit to my stack?! I seem to be on tilt every tournament right now!

Hi !
Quit playing for a while , playing on tilt is donating your money to others .

For tourneys , don't expect to win it , because most of the time you bust .what buy ins do you play ? Because under 20 bucks it's basically a donkfest :) in this hand you should check it after getting called on the turn , because given the board texture ins the betting , it looks like a set or two pair . Try to pick your spots carefully, but it's a tourney and also you have to have luck on your site to win it :)

Your opponent didn't raise PF, so you're right, premium hands unlikely.

You haven't said the suits of the flop, so I can't see if a flush-draw was there. You say you contemplated him holding 88, but didn't trust your gut. Fair enough, but also note they could've been holding an open-ended straight draw. By the turn you still say you weren't considering a set, but there's now possible quads there, as well as FH, the open-ended straight, (as well as a possible flush).

When you bet into someone, you're asking them a question, ('how strong is your hand?'). When they call, they are answering (either 'my hand is strong', 'I have pot-odds and a lot of outs', or 'I think I can out-play-you'). Whilst most of us don't believe we can be out-played, because of the number of available draws and/or made hands from the board you've described above, please listen to your gut & internal alarm bells. You said "he insta calls" your every bet, there is his answer... "I'm strong". After is immediate call on the flop, perhaps checking the turn would've been a better option? If they'd had bet, then you'd have more information. If you're still not sure if they're bluffing & confident in your hand, then you have the opportunity to re-raise. If they call or re-raise again, then you can be pretty certain you're beat. At that point, you're drawing to two cards (the other two J's). At that point, you can also be pretty certain you haven't got pot odds to call, so throw your cards away. (Forget what you see on TV (the editing shows ~10 hands from 12hrs of play), people really don't bluff as often as we think they do).

Rather than keeping your thoughts on how strong you believe your hand to be, consider how many hands could be made that could beat you. Pocket pairs pre-flop may be good enough, but as soon as the flop is out, ~70% of your hand is made... any pair-only hand doesn't look so strong any more. MUCH better to feel relieved about the chips you saved by not over-playing your hand, than kicking yourself for losing a big chunk of your stack.

When things like the hand you mentioned happen, perhaps click 'sit out' for a few hands & review the hand history. Look at it critically - is there anything different you could've done? If your opponent(s) did get lucky / suck-out on you there's nothing you can do about it. If they got lucky, it may not be great, but hope they keep playing the same way against you... you will win more than you lose. However if you can see where you could've played the hand differently, then chances are it will help you feel less aggrieved about what happened. Try to learn from it & I'm pretty sure when you rejoin the game, your play will be a lot better.

If that doesn't work...

Hi !

Your opponent didn't raise PF, so you're right, premium hands unlikely.

You haven't said the suits of the flop, so I can't see if a flush-draw was there. You say you contemplated him holding 88, but didn't trust your gut. Fair enough, but also note they could've been holding an open-ended straight draw. By the turn you still say you weren't considering a set, but there's now possible quads there, as well as FH, the open-ended straight, (as well as a possible flush).

When you bet into someone, you're asking them a question, ('how strong is your hand?'). When they call, they are answering (either 'my hand is strong', 'I have pot-odds and a lot of outs', or 'I think I can out-play-you'). Whilst most of us don't believe we can be out-played, because of the number of available draws and/or made hands from the board you've described above, please listen to your gut & internal alarm bells. You said "he insta calls" your every bet, there is his answer... "I'm strong". After is immediate call on the flop, perhaps checking the turn would've been a better option? If they'd had bet, then you'd have more information. If you're still not sure if they're bluffing & confident in your hand, then you have the opportunity to re-raise. If they call or re-raise again, then you can be pretty certain you're beat. At that point, you're drawing to two cards (the other two J's). At that point, you can also be pretty certain you haven't got pot odds to call, so throw your cards away. (Forget what you see on TV (the editing shows ~10 hands from 12hrs of play), people really don't bluff as often as we think they do).

Rather than keeping your thoughts on how strong you believe your hand to be, consider how many hands could be made that could beat you. Pocket pairs pre-flop may be good enough, but as soon as the flop is out, ~70% of your hand is made... any pair-only hand doesn't look so strong any more. MUCH better to feel relieved about the chips you saved by not over-playing your hand, than kicking yourself for losing a big chunk of your stack.

When things like the hand you mentioned happen, perhaps click 'sit out' for a few hands & review the hand history. Look at it critically - is there anything different you could've done? If your opponent(s) did get lucky / suck-out on you there's nothing you can do about it. If they got lucky, it may not be great, but hope they keep playing the same way against you... you will win more than you lose. However if you can see where you could've played the hand differently, then chances are it will help you feel less aggrieved about what happened. Try to learn from it & I'm pretty sure when you rejoin the game, your play will be a lot better.

If that doesn't work...

Yes I do know where I went wrong definitely! Played it too aggressively considering the board texture as you said 4 of a kind and full house both possible I didn't think four twos because I made a pot sized bet preflop so have to really daft to call with 22 that deep and to the biggest stack of the table. For this reason I put him on 88 or just air. When I have head screwed on right I can come into tournaments late reg blinds at 100/200 with 1500 chips and win it that's how confident with my game I am right now. You said was there a flush draw from what I can remember there were 2 hearts on the flop and I didn't hold a heart. Then next card a 2 and then I think the turn is where it all went in. I should have gone with my gut instinct your talking to a guy who can laydown QQ when too much action is ahead of him so I do play decent. Thanks for all your input folks! :thumbsup:

Played my fn ass off in this tourney is the main reason I am steamed! Any tips to keep a cool head after a dire hit to my stack?! I seem to be on tilt every tournament right now!

No! i stopped playing poker because of it, the temper that is : :mad::axeman2::gunmen::sniper:censored:p

Hi !

Sound advice, although, there's nothing wrong with a bit of donating in lieu of the christmas cheer i'd say..:D

Most poker players understand that, fundamentally, losing is part of the game, and you try to teach yourself to handle losses calmly then never give up. Try again.

Hi, what more can I say? I agree that failure is a part of a game especially in game of chances. All else has been done and no matter how you think about it always, you just can't turned it back. I guess, the lesson learned here is to slow down once in a while. Just like in any other games, psychology is real important especially that Poker faces are around and you wouldn't know your luck...It's a big chip loss at that time, nevertheless, you may have lucky grounds next time.

Well i lost some mid size chips, around $500 to $800 in one night. And seems like if i keep continue to play i get bad beat and lose more money. So the best idea is to take a break, for example 2 weeks break from poker can do wonder. It works for me..

buy about 15 really cheap keyboards and when you lose big smash one and move on with the day or night open a bottle drink up. never go over your limet and always keep some cash in the house for a emergency pizza binge full belly big sleep :)

What were the blinds, and what was your pre raise? Did he have position? Did he have you covered? Need more info :p

In any case, anyone that plays like that will give their chips back sooner or later, with "interest." I've ran into a few bad beats, only to get those chips back, as well as the rest of their chips, on the next hand. :cheers:

#1 rule in poker: Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

Oh, and what I end up doing if getting asshurt by someone sucking out to a 2 or 3 outer by playing stupidly is to instasitout and take about a 10 minute break from things. Or, sometimes I'll wait till seeing the cards for the next hand, as sometimes you pick up a monster and your raise will seem as if it's a steamraise because you lost the previous hand :)

Always remember - even if they suck out on you, you're the one that got your chips in with the best of it. You're the one that got them to call with bottom pair/gutshot/runner runner draw. There's no way to beat stupid.

But in my early days of playing, I've been known to break a few keyboards....lol

take this with a pinch of salt, but back in my late teens i played MTTs daily with a strat in mind, i didnt tilt bad beats because i played percentages, if i felt i made the right move even if i was a dog i just didn't tilt, i didn't make a fortune playing poker, i used it for beer money, so my advice is probably not worth taking, but when i was playing 5-20 MTTs daily i just used to play the percentage game, if i felt i was going in ahead id push.

take this with a pinch of salt, but back in my late teens i played MTTs daily with a strat in mind, i didnt tilt bad beats because i played percentages, if i felt i made the right move even if i was a dog i just didn't tilt, i didn't make a fortune playing poker, i used it for beer money, so my advice is probably not worth taking, but when i was playing 5-20 MTTs daily i just used to play the percentage game, if i felt i was going in ahead id push.

I don't mind going in knowing I'm a bit behind, as long as I have outs...

I don't mind going in knowing I'm a bit behind, as long as I have outs...

we couldn't be more different. My logic was simple "do i think im ahead yes/no if yes, 3 bet or push, if no fold" i didnt go in behind knowingly at all, ofcourse i went in being behind but never without me thinking i was ahead, if i wanted to leave it to fate id play roulette.

But in my early days of playing, I've been known to break a few keyboards....lol

- 2 Laptops
- 1 PC
- 2 PC Monitors
- countless keyboards
- countless mouses (mice)
Not only broken but also threw out the window a couple of them (the resilient ones)

Nowadays, I never go over my budget, so win or lose, it's the same for me, I just enjoy the gameplay as much as possible.

we couldn't be more different. My logic was simple "do i think im ahead yes/no if yes, 3 bet or push, if no fold" i didnt go in behind knowingly at all, ofcourse i went in being behind but never without me thinking i was ahead, if i wanted to leave it to fate id play roulette.

By "in" I mean staying in the pot...not pushing/calling all in :) Only staying in if it may end up profitable, depending on the size of bet relative to the size of the pot, and how much they have behind, whether or not I think I'll get paid off if I hit, etc..standard, imo

- 2 Laptops
- 1 PC
- 2 PC Monitors
- countless keyboards
- countless mouses (mice)
Not only broken but also threw out the window a couple of them (the resilient ones)

Nowadays, I never go over my budget, so win or lose, it's the same for me, I just enjoy the gameplay as much as possible.

lmao, I don't feel so bad, now :) :lolup:

But seriously, glad you have it under control.

Come to think about it, I did change a lot in the past 6 years, so yeah... I'm glad also.
More glad that the new me is more profitable than the old me :)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back