Horse Racing & Tips Thread

I don't often bet on US racing outside the breeders Cup but there's some cert nice racing there tonight. Aiden O Brien and Charlie Appelby(amongst others)having sent a few over.

Japan goes at Belmont 20.47. He's currently 2/1.
I doubled him with Athiqa at keenland 21.44 at 7/4.

Japan has great form over in the US. Narrowly losing last time when chopped off in running.
Athiqa has Spencer riding for Appleby. Looks the classiest horse in the field.

The double for anyone who fancies it pays about 8/1.

If you're feeling brave you could include Order of Australia at Keenland 22.46 at 7/4.

The treble pays 22/1 ish.
I've not taken any note of the American racing since after the first lockdown ended. It helped keep me occupied. I hope that your bets came in?
Given the amount of racing today worth betting on I came out of it with a slight profit but I'll wait until mid day tomorrow to avoid the late non runners. I love big field racing :)

As an aside. I noticed that young Laura Pearson had 5 rides this evening and she gave them all up. This has happened a number of times now after a truly blistering start to her career. Trainers have often had to pull out their horses at the last minute because of her pulling out of riding which has made trainers very reluctant to give her rides. I hope that she is well because she is a brilliant prospect :(

Nope all losers. The last week or so has been very poor.

Shame about Luara Pearson. Definitely have to hope it is a temporary issue.
On the plus side Hollie Doyle is going from strength to strength. Riding really well!

Nope all losers. The last week or so has been very poor.

Shame about Luara Pearson. Definitely have to hope it is a temporary issue.
On the plus side Hollie Doyle is going from strength to strength. Riding really well!
I hate comparing males with females and all of that nonsense in sport and life but the racing game itself must throw up a lot of issues about choices for jockeys. I have followed Laura from very early on and that is proven from my posts from very early in her career. Is it just a simple issue about a boyfriend wanting more time with her or has her dad dying effected her availability? For some reason I am concerned.
Hollie is a true diamond. She has a partner who obviously is just as ambitious as her and they have all the time they want on their hands to encourage each other.
Bring colinsunderland back.

Some great racing today again. This is my main bet. Good luck if your having a punt :)

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

10. Turnpike Trip
15/2
10th Oct CURRAGH 15:05 2M HCAP 2m - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 7 Places
8. Cavalry Master
13/2
10th Oct LIMERICK 15:55 3M HCAP CHASE 3m - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
1. Shes In The Game
5/1
10th Oct CURRAGH 16:15 6F HCAP 6f - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
3. Global Esteem
10/1
10th Oct GOODWOOD 17:15 HANDICAP 1m 0f 0y - Each Way
Best odds

Massive fields on a Sunday for a change.

I've taken a chance on Powerful Kieran at 33/1 6 places in the Irish Cambridgeshire at 3.05.

Light weight and progressive. Fingers crossed.
Great minds think alike, or is it fools share the same thoughts...
Backed Powerful Kieran this morning on Skybet as they are paying 7 places and I think Joseph O'B has a few decent ew chances in the race.
Yesterday at Chepstow really whetted my appetite for the jumps, cant wait for the Down Royal meeting at the end of the month as for me thats when the jumps starts to kick off, for me much more entertainment than the flat.

Great minds think alike, or is it fools share the same thoughts...
Backed Powerful Kieran this morning on Skybet as they are paying 7 places and I think Joseph O'B has a few decent ew chances in the race.
Yesterday at Chepstow really whetted my appetite for the jumps, cant wait for the Down Royal meeting at the end of the month as for me thats when the jumps starts to kick off, for me much more entertainment than the flat.
The betting for Powerful Kieran in Paddy Power is all over the place. A minute ago it had gone into 15/2 before quickly going out to 16's. There is obviously a lot of interest in it. Good luck to you both

I've been looking at tomorrow's racing away from ascot first

These 4 all have great chance imo and I will likely do an ew lucky 15 on them
Screenshot_20211015-234446_Chrome.jpg

As for Ascot it's a very nice card I haven't looked at much yet. I will be backing Nugget in the last each way. He's been aimed at this meeting all year AFAIK. 10/1 is a great price.

A very interesting one at leopardstown tomorrow.
Our old pal R P McNally seems to be up to something again. The 4.20 is a maiden over 1m2f and his horse petrol head has 6 duck eggs next to his name. Yet he opened 33/1 earlier and is now best priced 10/1 with bet365 and 8/1 most elsewhere. Probably nothing but I'll keep an eye on it given the trainer in question.

I'll probably do a footy bet also but nothing leaps out yet.

Good luck all having a punt.

I've been looking at tomorrow's racing away from ascot first

These 4 all have great chance imo and I will likely do an ew lucky 15 on them
View attachment 159497

As for Ascot it's a very nice card I haven't looked at much yet. I will be backing Nugget in the last each way. He's been aimed at this meeting all year AFAIK. 10/1 is a great price.

A very interesting one at leopardstown tomorrow.
Our old pal R P McNally seems to be up to something again. The 4.20 is a maiden over 1m2f and his horse petrol head has 6 duck eggs next to his name. Yet he opened 33/1 earlier and is now best priced 10/1 with bet365 and 8/1 most elsewhere. Probably nothing but I'll keep an eye on it given the trainer in question.

I'll probably do a footy bet also but nothing leaps out yet.

Good luck all having a punt.
I will come back to this post an hour before the off Ken because I seldom place my bets before an hour before the off now.

It wasn't easy choosing my main bet for today but here it is. Good luck if your having a punt :)

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

11. Minzaal
11/1
16th Oct ASCOT 14:00 EVENT 0m 6f 0y - Each Way
11. Tomily
10/1
16th Oct CATTERICK 16:15 HANDICAP 0m 5f 212y - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 3 Places
10. Nugget
9/1
16th Oct ASCOT 16:30 HANDICAP 1m 0f 0y - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 6 Places
6. Bollin Neil
16/5
16th Oct CATTERICK 16:50 APPRENTICE HANDICAP 1m 5f 192y - Each Way
Best odds

I've backed Minzaal ew 6 places with Skybet today and I have also taken Baaeed to outpoint Palace Pier as my main bets today.
Two outsiders I have backed ew because of extra places with Sky are Lord Glitters @ 80/1 as I think the race will be run to suit him and he could sneak into 4th, plus McSwiney @ 40/1. Jim Bolger is very capable of causing an upset and the softening of the ground will definitely help McSwiney and again I am hoping it can sneak in to 4th place at least.

Good luck all having a go today and may your investments have positive returns.

I've backed Minzaal ew 6 places with Skybet today and I have also taken Baaeed to outpoint Palace Pier as my main bets today.
Two outsiders I have backed ew because of extra places with Sky are Lord Glitters @ 80/1 as I think the race will be run to suit him and he could sneak into 4th, plus McSwiney @ 40/1. Jim Bolger is very capable of causing an upset and the softening of the ground will definitely help McSwiney and again I am hoping it can sneak in to 4th place at least.

This week I bottled out of taking a few long shots only to see them bolt home. I'll keep an eye on all of the selections in here. Good luck

Great tipping mate.

McSwiney and minzaal placed and baaeed won.

Not much I fancy tomorrow with less meetings on.
I do think Verhoyen in the last at Naas is overpriced at 12/1. Wasn't beaten far even though 10th of 21 last week at York and didn't ever really get into the race as he would normally run. The run before was a very good second to a decent horse called strong Johnson. 12/1 with 5 places will do me.

Today did not go great horse racing wise. A few placed and I lost a little.
However I did this little beauty while I was in the city waiting for a battery to be changed in my watch. Random luck,is there any better kind!?

20211017_004556.jpg

Loads of action tomorrow. I've looked to see if there's anything that will shorten before the morning market opens.

Young Angel 4.00 leopardstown is 7/1 and has a very likeable profile very likely to be there fighting it out at the end.
Lil Guff 3.10 Newbury 16/1 now. If he was from a different stable he would be 8's at best. Solid form and still progressing. So for me great value each way at 16/1.

That's just two against the field I'll do a few more tomorrow when the markets are settled and probably a couple of football bets too.

Gl all having a punt.

I find this really strange. Bookies have already paid out on Incentivise, the winner of the Melbourne Cup 2021 - even though it is not being run until Tuesday Nov 2nd.

What happens if before the race, the horse is injured, scratched, or withdrawn for some other reason?

I just don't get it.

bets.com.au/racing-news/incentivise-payout-on-melbourne-cup-2021-20211020-0002

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this really strange. Bookies have already paid out on Incentivise, the winner of the Melbourne Cup 2021 - even though it is not being run until Tuesday Nov 2nd.

What happens if before the race, the horse is injured, scratched, or withdrawn for some other reason?

I just don't get it.

bets.com.au/racing-news/incentivise-payout-on-melbourne-cup-2021-20211020-0002
This is purely a publicity stunt.

It likely means their book is not going to be too much worse off for the payout once they do it early.
1.They get great PR for doing it early.
2. They were likely to payout on that winner anyway.
3.Other horses in the field winning wouldn't balance their edge much.
4. The amount they pay out (even in millions) is miniscule compared the overall amount they'll lay in the race as a whole,because most people will bet day of the race, heavily weighted towards the hour before the actual event.

You can be sure of one thing. In the grand scheme of things they are benefitting more from this than their liability.

This is purely a publicity stunt.

It likely means their book is not going to be too much worse off for the payout once they do it early.
1.They get great PR for doing it early.
2. They were likely to payout on that winner anyway.
3.Other horses in the field winning wouldn't balance their edge much.
4. The amount they pay out (even in millions) is miniscule compared the overall amount they'll lay in the race as a whole,because most people will bet day of the race, heavily weighted towards the hour before the actual event.

You can be sure of one thing. In the grand scheme of things they are benefitting more from this than their liability.
If it wins....nothing is ever a cert in the Melbourne Cup. What happens to the bets they have paid out beforehand? Wouldn't they be void?

Also, will punters still continue to back Incentivise as surely the odds are going to drop to the point where it wouldn't be worth it - so they might go for another horse with much better odds?

If that happened and that horse won, wouldn't Sportsbet lose a prodigious amount of money?

(Just asking for a friend)

If it wins....nothing is ever a cert in the Melbourne Cup. What happens to the bets they have paid out beforehand? Wouldn't they be void?
bet are not voided but paid out. Therefore over as in they no longer exist. As for it winning I agree. The melby Cup is always one of the most wide open races yearly.

Also, will punters still continue to back Incentivise as surely the odds are going to drop to the point where it wouldn't be worth it - so they might go for another horse with much better odds?that is entirely personal up to each punter. But now you're getting it! People are likely to back other horses in the race. Ones less likely to win. See where I am going with this?

If that happened and that horse won, wouldn't Sportsbet lose a prodigious amount of money?I can guarantee you one thing here and now. Bookies liability in any race is minimal. They are trying to maximise their profit line on the race. They are highly unlikely to lose(much) no matter who wins.
(Just asking for a friend)
Hope this helps your friend ;):laugh:

Loads of action tomorrow. I've looked to see if there's anything that will shorten before the morning market opens.

Young Angel 4.00 leopardstown is 7/1 and has a very likeable profile very likely to be there fighting it out at the end.
Lil Guff 3.10 Newbury 16/1 now. If he was from a different stable he would be 8's at best. Solid form and still progressing. So for me great value each way at 16/1.

That's just two against the field I'll do a few more tomorrow when the markets are settled and probably a couple of football bets too.

Gl all having a punt.
I've taken Evagardner ew in the 4..00 @9/1. There was plenty to get my teeth into when choosing my bets today. These are the ones to avoid :)

PP are giving a free £5 bet on the Man U/Liverpool game tomorrow. I took over 2.5 goals and Salla to have at least 2 shots on target.

Good luck if your having a punt

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

9. Small Bad Bob
12/1
23rd Oct CHELTENHAM 13:45 HANDICAP HURDLE 2m 0f 87y - Each Way
10. Minella Bobo
9/1
23rd Oct CHELTENHAM 14:20 HANDICAP CHASE 3m 1f 0y - Each Way
9. Butlers Brief
10/1