Horse Racing & Tips Thread

Slottery

PABnoaccred
MM
Not my tips but from someone who knows PTP and Hunters Chases very well and does reasonably well with them (usually).

What da heck these Hunters Chases are? :) It's been really interesting to try to learn something about horse racing, loads to get for one who's only been using the metric system and decimal odds before :D

Really enjoyable way to have a little bets there and there, hopefully audience is allowed to races next jump season, wanna go to Cheltenham or Grand National once in life.

This was first winter i paid bit more attention and tried to start to understand a racing little bit, what you prefer, jump or flat season? Guess it can be different one for betting and for watching.

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
What da heck these Hunters Chases are? :) It's been really interesting to try to learn something about horse racing, loads to get for one who's only been using the metric system and decimal odds before :D

Really enjoyable way to have a little bets there and there, hopefully audience is allowed to races next jump season, wanna go to Cheltenham or Grand National once in life.

This was first winter i paid bit more attention and tried to start to understand a racing little bit, what you prefer, jump or flat season? Guess it can be different one for betting and for watching.
From google (as it was easier) :)

Hunter Chases are basically races over steeplechase fences for horses that have a hunters certificate and are ridden by amateur jockey's. Professional trainers can run horses in hunter chases, but can't run them in points.

So you get a lot of cross over between points and hunter chasers.

I really like Peacocks Secret in this race, had a decent bet on it.

I prefer jumps :)

Kenji85

Experienced Member
The 2000Guineas looks wide open today.
I can't be having Wembley at 7/2.He is as big as 6.4 on the exchanges at the min too. He is favourite for the Guineas purely through the fact hes OBriens no.1 on jockey bookings seems the only reason he is favourite. The horse has 6 runs and only win is a roscommon maiden. The form ties in closely with Thunder Moon also. At least he looks a little more progressive potentially.

I doubt I'll back anything with any degree of confidence in it.

For a mad bet I'll chance Devilwara at 100/1 ew 4 places. His comeback run was poor but he did lose a shoe. Prior to that was only behind thunder moon by not much in the Dewhurst. Also Beckett is in flying form. Only 1 of his last 12 runners countrywide was unplaced.

cncas2123

Meister Member
I will be having a dabble on Chindit ew in the Guineas, thought it won its prep race readily enough and looks like the mile will be perfect for it.
As @Kenji85 says the only reason Wembley is fav is because Ryan Moore is on it, and for me if it was the real deal from Ballydoyle it would be a lot shorter.
Good luck to all over the next few days.

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
Yeah the big race seems like it could be won by pretty much any of the 15 runners, very hard race to read. Kieren Fallon seems very confident about One Ruler, but as he's a bit of a dick, we shall see :). The top rated are

No. Draw Form Horse OR RPR
15 8 22122- Wembley 118 131
13 10 113- Thunder Moon 117 131
6 3 12152- Lucky Vega 116 130
11 7 21312- One Ruler 114 127

Out of those, and going on value, I think I would be on Lucky Vega, currently 12/1 5 places with Hills (and SkyBet but no BOG on there), probably be a race I just watch rather than bet in though.

Having said that, Mutasaabeq ran extremely fast LTO out, if he can repeat that, then has a good chance of winning. Obviously very limited form to go on with him.

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
EW Lucky 15 on these

2.25N Garrus 6/1
2.15P Ballyboker Bridge 12/1 4 places
1.55U Passing Shadow 10/1 4 places
2.10T Rocket Dancer 17/2 4 places

Small EW Lucky 15 on the long priced outsiders below

1.50N Graphite 80/1 4 places, put this up for the Lincoln where it came last, but had had over a year off. It's French form suggests it will outrun it's odds if it retains any ability.
4.15N Lord Rapscallion 25/1
5.05P Koshari 25/1 6 places
2.40T Waarif 70/1 5 places

Good luck today everyone

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
Very nice tipping this week Col. It must have been a very good week for you :) Here are mine in Ireland today. Good luck all with your bets

Lucky 31 (x62) Each Way

5. Josies Orders
7/1
1st May PUNCHESTOWN 14:15 3M 1F CHASE 3m 1f - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 4 Places
2. Freewheelin Dylan
15/2
1st May PUNCHESTOWN 14:50 3M 7F HCAP CHASE 3m 7f - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 5 Places
16. Jerandme
9/1
1st May PUNCHESTOWN 16:30 3M 1/2F HCAP CHASE 3m 120yds - Each Way
23. Tronador
12/1
1st May PUNCHESTOWN 17:05 2M 4F HCAP HURDLE 2m 4f - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 6 Places
17. Millyinthemiddle
3/1
1st May PUNCHESTOWN 17:40 2M 4F HCAP HURDLE 2m 4f - Each Way

Kenji85

Experienced Member
Did ok today. No good in the guineas although as suspected all the market leaders I didnt fancy bombed out.

My old pal Jeff Kidder won at 22/1 to make the day profitable. Having won previously at 80/1 then 5/1 and now 22/1 the horse owes me nothing that's for sure!

My feelings about tomorrow are well known. In the 1000 Guineas, Statement is now a general 9-10/1 shot. Still backable for those who fancy it. I have no intentions to lay off any of the 66/1 and 20/1 I got as they are for small enough stakes. I hoping for a good run for my money at least. That being said theres a lot more confidence behind ballydoyle favourite in this as opposed to the 2000Guineas. Santa Barbara was backed consistently all winter but at 6/4 and shorter it's not for me. O'Brien's horses often come on for the run also so with no prep run it's no gimme. Even if he has a ridiculously good record in this race.

Small interest on Camino Mission 11/1 ew in 2.15 at Sligo.
I didnt back it last time but watched the race. Made a note of it as the horse dwelt early and took a while to get motoring. Finished well to get 4th of 18 on heavy ground.

Good luck all having a bet.

Kenji85

Experienced Member
Small win bet on Sandhurst tomorrow 3.15 Chester at 6/1.

Stable has won this race something crazy like 9 times in last 14 years. Not super encouraging his first run of season. but the trip was too short and we all know O Brien horses come on for a run.
I'm taking the 6's purely because I think it'll shorten plenty over night. in particle if J.Doyle is jocked off as Moores mount is a nr now.

Edit: into 9/2 with PP now.

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
Small EW Lucky 15 today

2.15C La Joconde 9/1, although Ahandfulofsummers 14/1 without Dubai Fortune seems quite a good bet too.
3.05N Sir Ivan 6/1
2.30N Marracudja 15/2
3.45C Salsoul 20/1

Good luck all

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
There is some interesting racing at Chester today so for a change I've gone on the nose just for a bit of an interest. Good luck with your bets

Lucky 15 (x15)

5. Navello
6/4
5th May CHESTER 13:45 EVENT 0m 5f 15y - Win
1. Zeyaadah
3/1
5th May CHESTER 14:15 EVENT 1m 3f 75y - Win
4. Showalong
15/8
5th May CHESTER 14:45 HANDICAP 0m 5f 15y - Win
14:45 Today
7. Wirko
6/4
5th May CHESTER 15:15 EVENT 1m 4f 63y - Win
Best odds

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
Not the best days racing today, Chester will be good to watch, but the draw bias means you have to really back anything drawn 4 or under and the market reflects that. Cant see anything of value there at all. Think Yibir should win the 2.15 there, I did like Ontario, but has the worst draw in the race, and the fact it is drifting after Simon Rowlands put it on his ATR blog is cause for concern too, it suggests the big players aren't interested in it at all.

2.25H Rooster Cogburn should win this, won easily last time out, against better horses than it's up against today. Money for it again too. Currently 11/8
1.30W Hawk's Well won very easily last time, and the second and third have both ran well since, with the 4th from that race winning 3 times since in better races, so the form seems ok. Can't really see anything getting close to him today. Around 7/4.

Good luck today

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
Not the best days racing today, Chester will be good to watch, but the draw bias means you have to really back anything drawn 4 or under and the market reflects that. Cant see anything of value there at all. Think Yibir should win the 2.15 there, I did like Ontario, but has the worst draw in the race, and the fact it is drifting after Simon Rowlands put it on his ATR blog is cause for concern too, it suggests the big players aren't interested in it at all.

2.25H Rooster Cogburn should win this, won easily last time out, against better horses than it's up against today. Money for it again too. Currently 11/8
1.30W Hawk's Well won very easily last time, and the second and third have both ran well since, with the 4th from that race winning 3 times since in better races, so the form seems ok. Can't really see anything getting close to him today. Around 7/4.

Good luck today
I've struggled to find a bet today. I had punched in an ew lucky 15 but then scrubbed it because all of the nags where 14/1 and higher. I hope I don't regret that.
Another outsider that I considered taking in my ew lucky 15 was Withold in the 315. Anyhow this was all I could muster for this afternoon. GL with your bets

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

8. Mondammej
4/1
6th May CHESTER 13:45 HANDICAP 0m 5f 15y - Each Way
Each Way: 1/5 Odds, 3 Places
6. Glencoum Lass
9/1
6th May HUNTINGDON 13:55 HANDICAP HURDLE 3m 1f 10y - Each Way
6. Dancing with Storms
4/1
6th May WORCESTER 14:30 HANDICAP HURDLE 2m 4f 0y - Each Way
12. Luckys Dream
11/1
6th May CHESTER 15:45 HANDICAP 1m 2f 70y - Each Way
Best odds

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
Well that was a disastrous day lol

Every winner at Chester, apart from the 1m2f 2.15 was drawn 4 or under (and in the 2.15 the 2nd -4th were too). Think the same applied yesterday too, all apart from one were drawn 4 or less.

Tomorrow, Lunar Jet in the 3.45 has an EW shout at 11/1, and Gena in the 6.10C is interesting considering it's last 2 runs. It opened up with Bet365 at 14/1 and is best priced 9/2 now, 7/2 in places. Wouldn't be surprised if it starts around 3/1, and wins quite easily.

Don't think Blakeney Point should be 50/1 with 6 places in the Chester Cup (2.45) either. Trainer does well in this race, both trainer and jockey are in reasonable form, and is fit from running over hurdles all winter. Not saying it will win, but I wouldn't want to be laying 50/1 about it either.

Good luck if anyone has a bet :)

geordiecolin

Meister Member
PABnononaccred
CAG
mm4
Well that was a disastrous day lol

Every winner at Chester, apart from the 1m2f 2.15 was drawn 4 or under (and in the 2.15 the 2nd -4th were too). Think the same applied yesterday too, all apart from one were drawn 4 or less.

Tomorrow, Lunar Jet in the 3.45 has an EW shout at 11/1, and Gena in the 6.10C is interesting considering it's last 2 runs. It opened up with Bet365 at 14/1 and is best priced 9/2 now, 7/2 in places. Wouldn't be surprised if it starts around 3/1, and wins quite easily.

Don't think Blakeney Point should be 50/1 with 6 places in the Chester Cup (2.45) either. Trainer does well in this race, both trainer and jockey are in reasonable form, and is fit from running over hurdles all winter. Not saying it will win, but I wouldn't want to be laying 50/1 about it either.

Good luck if anyone has a bet :)
Chester hasn't been a good meeting for me either but I've not been able to watch most of it so my bets have just been for an interest. Heres mine for today. Good luck all that are having a tickle :)

Lucky 15 (x30) Each Way

4. Grove Ferry
11/2
7th May CHESTER 13:45 HANDICAP 0m 7f 127y - Each Way
8. Cardano
7/1
7th May CHESTER 14:45 HANDICAP 2m 2f 140y - Each Way
3. Restorer
10/3
7th May CHESTER 15:45 HANDICAP 1m 2f 70y - Each Way
2. Elysian Flame
5/1
7th May CHESTER 16:20 HANDICAP 2m 2f 140y - Each Way
Best odds

colinsunderland

Experienced Member
webmeister
MM
3.10H Ballinsker 6/1 5 places (and getting backed). At a bigger price I also like Cormier 16/1 (also getting backed, was 22/1 when I started writing this, now 16's!).

3.40A On A Session 22/1 6 places. Has the form to win this, but it's up in the air if today is a going day. However, trainer and jockey are in good form, and the horses best form is early season. Likes cut in the ground.

5.05H McGinty's Dream 22/1 won easily off 2lbs lower last November over course and distance. He has struggled to settle since, a couple of times looking unrideable, but last time out he was settled and running well, until he walked through a hurdle, lost all momentum, and was pulled up. If they have sorted the problem of him settling, I think he will be much closer than the price suggests.

Later on, if theres any market support for Sean's ride (Black Mischief) in the 7.20W then might be worth backing. Currently 12/1, has the form to win this, but has been off for 2 years, so the question is, will it be fit enough. Presumably the market will answer that question later.

Going to do a small win double on Double Or Bubble (3.25L) 3/1 and Without a Fight (2.30A) 5/1

Good luck today if you are having a bet

Kenji85

Experienced Member
There is tonnes of racing today which is great to lay a few but I picked a lucky 31 also.Slightly smaller prices than I looked at last night. But I stuck with the selections I made. Interested to see O Brien at Lingfield today but still cant be having Divinely in such a decent race. I do think Kyprios is worth a look though. There is no super strong win fancy I have but I feel they all have strong chances. All 5 placing will do fine for me dont want to be greedy :laugh:

Screenshot_20210508-104947_Chrome.jpg

Also done a couple of footie bets. Last day of the championship should mean goals goals goals too.

Gl all having a bet.