Going back more and more to the older slots

lotusch

A little mix of Dutch and Irish
Hey all,

I was just wondering how you all experience the latest new slots releases from all these providers.
The reason I ask is because I find myself playing more and more older games as I tend to enjoy them much much more and they seem to gave better playtime too.
All these new slots seem to be designed to get your money as quick as possible without any decent playtime at all. You either hit it rich quickly or you are screwed.

Also I feel a lot of slots nowadays are egg timer slots, big investment needed first before it will serve you any decent win.

Slots that come out these days do not excite me one bit.
Providers like BTG, Blueprint, SG and a few other providers churn out horrible mind numbing slots with no action on them whatsoever. Just endless dead spins with a scarce feature here and there.
Slots have changed so much in the years I am playing online and to be honest not for the better.

Also the interface have been ruined, best seen with SG who ruined their whole suit of slots into this clunky laggy cabinet which has ruined games like RR and Montezuma for me.
Then Novomatic who have now a skin from 707 games which is dreadful as it makes the games slower, no quickspin and after a win there is always a half second delay before you can do the next spin.

Netent, well enough said. This whole HTML5 thing has ruined many of their slots.

And we can go on like this for a while.

So I have played mostly older slots over the last 2 weeks from MG, WMS, Novomatic and Netent and I did very well..
In comparison, I lost like 500 quid on 1 Euro bets on that Buffalo Rising before even hitting a FS feature that then paid like 21x stake, that is the new norm in todays slots.

It would be nice to find a new slot that actually goes back to those old days when it comes to paytable / variance and entertainment.

The best slots also seem to disappear / discontinued.

What are your thoughts?
Are the older slots more entertaining?
Did they give better value for money?
Do you prefer the new or older slots?

Yes, html5 slots may be the way forward but there is something lacking in the overall experience.

I used to think it was developers whose market originally began in land-based cabinet games such as IGT, WMS and Novo that were churning crap out constantly (possibly because their expertise lies more in land-based) but I think I am off the mark there because Microgaming and Playtake are little better.

There's too many generic slots about lacking potential and excitement. It's also possible that players' perception is becoming a bit skewed after experiencing the BTG revolution and subsequently most new slots seem a little disappointing.

hi good subject i just seem to play my favs like supe it up isis and avalon,when new ones come online i play them a lot in practice mode before committing hard cash and guess what like you said features are hard to get and not very good payouts and i always play a few thousand plays before judgement,and i have not committed any hard cash to any of them yet.

I think like most gamblers we have selective memories....few weeks ago i went to some of the older, decent MG games, a few classic Netents etc and ended up doing quite well. However, the last 3 sessions have been woeful - 500 spins without bonus rounds etc. Whether that's because not as many are playing them or not, I don't know.

Suppose you could say if slots were that much better back then, then I'd be sat on a wad of cash :)

But in general...i remember playing Immortal Romance saying 'if bonus comes in the next twenty spins I'll pick Michael'. Imagine that now it's more like 'Will the bonus come?'

Undoubtedly there's been a seismic shift towards High Variance games by providers. Which, unless you're the lucky recipient of the RNG, are going to be pretty soul destroying sessions.

If i was to summarise my experience:

Back in the day - deposits lasted longer, bonus rounds under 100 spins were relatively common, possibly more enjoyable

Now - I've seen bigger wins for my own play than (apart from my one Jackpot win in 2007) back then.

Yes, html5 slots may be the way forward but there is something lacking in the overall experience.

I used to think it was developers whose market originally began in land-based cabinet games such as IGT, WMS and Novo that were churning crap out constantly (possibly because their expertise lies more in land-based) but I think I am off the mark there because Microgaming and Playtake are little better.

There's too many generic slots about lacking potential and excitement. It's also possible that players' perception is becoming a bit skewed after experiencing the BTG revolution and subsequently most new slots seem a little disappointing.

I think like most gamblers we have selective memories....few weeks ago i went to some of the older, decent MG games, a few classic Netents etc and ended up doing quite well. However, the last 3 sessions have been woeful - 500 spins without bonus rounds etc. Whether that's because not as many are playing them or not, I don't know.

Suppose you could say if slots were that much better back then, then I'd be sat on a wad of cash :)

But in general...i remember playing Immortal Romance saying 'if bonus comes in the next twenty spins I'll pick Michael'. Imagine that now it's more like 'Will the bonus come?'

Undoubtedly there's been a seismic shift towards High Variance games by providers. Which, unless you're the lucky recipient of the RNG, are going to be pretty soul destroying sessions.

If i was to summarise my experience:

Back in the day - deposits lasted longer, bonus rounds under 100 spins were relatively common, possibly more enjoyable

Now - I've seen bigger wins for my own play than (apart from my one Jackpot win in 2007) back then.

So these two messages are in direct oppoisition from my perspective, Dunover says more potential is needed, Pinnit prefers the old days when deposits lasted longer and you could get a bonus round in less than a 100 spins.

That said, I do think you would often agree (I could be wrong here) on judging the last 80 or so slots that have come out as worth playing vs not worth playing. Why is that? Maybe high vola vs low vola is not enough to judge a slot.

For example, Vikings and Bonanza are both High-Volatility slots, but theyre still COMPLETELY different, mainly because one has a soft basegame with high hit frequency and the other mega tight and low frequency. I think a lot of it is that the new slots are still doing the same old thing that was already largely perfected back in the days, which just makes the new ones that come out wheel reinventions that dont make wheels better, just work a bit differently. Megaways however, was a new kind of wheel that can do something the previous couldnt, which is why I think we can "endure" so many bonanza clones.

Hopefully providers realize this and make stuff that is new and cool rather than old and weird.

It's no secret today's slots are designed to obliterate a player's balance as fast as possible, modern slots on the whole are soulless cynical cash-grabs, led by BTG's horrific emergence :puke:

Basically designers want you to approach their games doing £1 or £2 a spin whilst promising you unattainable 'potential' in a Boom or Bust session, as opposed to players grinding 20ps for hours.

Bankroll- building is dead and every new slot appears to be some type of scratchcard or lottery. Where'd Medium Variance go....

Remember when DOA and Immortal Romance were tagged 'High Variance' and yet still delivered consistently, and when we'd bemoan free spin frequency averaging 150 spins :laugh:

Worse than modern Ponzi slot design though has to be the lightning default spin speed on games. They're so indicative of designer's disdain towards the user's experience that they're borderline insulting. The industry needs a hard reboot because it's laughably bad.

Now please excuse me, I'm off to play Jammin' Jars :D

Last edited:
Worse than modern Ponzi slot design though has to be default spin speed on games. They're so indicative of designer's disdain towards the user's experience that they're borderline insulting. The industry needs a hard reboot because it's laughably bad.

Now please excuse me, I'm off to play Jammin' Jars :D

On the spin speed, I guess you mean theyre too slow by default? I think the worst here is the 3 second rule some regulations enforce, and I suspect some providers "blanket-comply" with. Destroys gameplay for no reason.

On the spin speed, I guess you mean theyre too slow by default? I think the worst here is the 3 second rule some regulations enforce, and I suspect some providers "blanket-comply" with. Destroys gameplay for no reason.
I meant too fast :p

Looks like we both need to edit :laugh:

the most I recall about the older B and M slots, was that they were mostly 9 liners, with the odd 10, 15 and if *gasp* - you had the patience to hand flog in that many pennies, the odd 20 or 25.

Years later, 9s were all but extinct, and you had 30, 40 and many 50 liners - and single spin went from 9 c to 50 c and you 'felt' obligated to be betting 2x or 3x the line, making your 27 c now a buck twenty or a buck 50....your 20 bucks went faster and you were throwing in another 20 bucks as a 4OAK or 5OAK only, and maybe, returned your bet

online slots where I'd go grab a 25 MC also turned into going and buying a 50 MC, then a 100 MC if you wanted to play half the minimum 40 (or more) line games

Funnily, my biggest win (for X times) had been a B and M many years ago, $2500 on a 25c bet - so a 10,000x return.. (online was this year's 4000x on Gem Rocks - Yggdrasil)

If it wasn’t for the complete lack of auto spins I’d be back with the old WMS slots in a heartbeat. The one thing the latest stupidly high variance slots are doing is making it easier to take far longer breaks between playing and, to be honest, start to avoid them altogether. I find myself thinking that £200 is more and more often not enough to get a good play on 40-60p spins. Insane really.

£200 is more and more often not enough to get a good play on 40-60p spins. Insane really.
same, i always wonder how people manage it with a $20 deposit - I'm a low roller and we've even here gone to $200 deps to have - possibly - a decent play session, and we sit on 60c bets

the most I recall about the older B and M slots, was that they were mostly 9 liners, with the odd 10, 15 and if *gasp* - you had the patience to hand flog in that many pennies, the odd 20 or 25.

Years later, 9s were all but extinct, and you had 30, 40 and many 50 liners - and single spin went from 9 c to 50 c and you 'felt' obligated to be betting 2x or 3x the line, making your 27 c now a buck twenty or a buck 50....your 20 bucks went faster and you were throwing in another 20 bucks as a 4OAK or 5OAK only, and maybe, returned your bet

online slots where I'd go grab a 25 MC also turned into going and buying a 50 MC, then a 100 MC if you wanted to play half the minimum 40 (or more) line games

Funnily, my biggest win (for X times) had been a B and M many years ago, $2500 on a 25c bet - so a 10,000x return.. (online was this year's 4000x on Gem Rocks - Yggdrasil)
4000X !! I must've missed the screenshot. :eek:

same, i always wonder how people manage it with a $20 deposit - I'm a low roller and we've even here gone to $200 deps to have - possibly - a decent play session, and we sit on 60c bets

I hear you there. I'm mostly doing 20 to 40c spins and have gone from usually depositing €20 to now doing €50 deposits to get some playtime. When I'm up on the session and have already done a withdrawal, or when I've had a good month I sometimes dare venture into €1 to €2 spins but money goes so fast then it's ridiculous :eek:

That said I've only been playing slots for a little under 2 years and in that time there's been such a big change of going to ultra HV slots which make the slots I started out on looking very tame :laugh:

Hey all,

What are your thoughts?
Are the older slots more entertaining?
Did they give better value for money?
Do you prefer the new or older slots?

Yes to all three.

Older slots = a bit like drinking beer. Significantly larger measures (playtime), smaller price tag (variance), takes you longer to get hammered, less likely to make you sick.
Newer slots = a bit like drinking spirits. Significantly smaller measures, higher price tag, much more likely to get you quickly feeling pissed (off) and on a really bad day, will have you reaching for the barf bucket.

Last edited:
Yes to all three.

Older slots = a bit like drinking beer. Significantly larger measures (playtime), smaller price tag (variance), takes you longer to get hammered, less likely to make you sick.
Newer slots = a bit like drinking spirits. Significantly smaller measures, higher price tag, much more likely to get you quickly feeling pissed (off) and on a really bad day, will have you reaching for the barf bucket.
Or letting rip with a salvo of wind....

Well thinking back..
Ive had some great sessions on slots like zeus 3 which can give you several big wins and bonuses in a session
Also had some rly fun sessions on 32 red and all the different microgaming slots
New slots these days scare me because you need to play a rly small stake relative to your bankroll or you're likely to go bust with no fun at all
For example , Id often play with 50x-100x bets so 200 would play 2-4 stake in the old days
Try that on a lot of new games like pragmatic or push gaming and you will prob be bust in 10 mins . Or the alternative seems to be some horrible game which will slowly drain your balance will making a fuss of a 2x win..

3 bonuses on Zeus 3 yesterday in less than 100 spins, x7 x4 x2, bonus on Rhino on £1.20 BG, bonus on Northern Sky £1.60 paid £28, £1.60 on Big Bot Crew today, paid £4.60, Eye of the Amulet bonus on £2.00 paid £8.00
3 bonuses on Jumanji, that didn't pay much one of them hit the x1 on every single roll of the dice...bonus on Drive £1.50 paid £35...those are the highlights of my last few days sessions, not had x100 in any of the last 30+ bonuses.
Iron Girl ate £120 @ £1.60 and the only thing it did was £34 win and happily gobbled the balance up, anytime it did hit the decent paying symbol as expected, instantly ended without adding another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back