Fury vs Wilder III

I'm quite happy to lose. It was a good bet that almost paid off.

I'm not an odds on punter but someone who tries to find value bets. It's the only way to win in the long run.
Both fighters just didn't know when to give in. It was one of the best fights I have seen since the Nigel Ben/Eubanks era.

Wow oh wow. I am a big big boxing fan, have been since the days of McGuigan beating Pedroza and staying up late listening to Bruno putting up a valiant effort to Witherspoon on the radio as a kid.

I had the privilege of watching live on BT Sports Box Office Fury vs Wilder at 5am yesterday morning. Will post my thoughts etc later when morning school run etc out of the way. But I will say, that has to go down as the best heavyweight fight I have seen in my near 50 year life time bar none!

Wow oh wow. I am a big big boxing fan, have been since the days of McGuigan beating Pedroza and staying up late listening to Bruno putting up a valiant effort to Witherspoon on the radio as a kid.

I had the privilege of watching live on BT Sports Box Office Fury vs Wilder at 5am yesterday morning. Will post my thoughts etc later when morning school run etc out of the way. But I will say, that has to go down as the best heavyweight fight I have seen in my near 50 year life time bar none!
Many years ago I was working with a big guy who told me about his time in the army. He was a military policeman. He told me about reaching the final of the army boxing tournament. Being a military pc he was hated and had a reputation that was not good. Often dealing with drunk squaddie's fighting in town centers etc in brutal fashion.
Anyhow,the gut he was fighting got word to him that he was going to slap him around the ring big style before choosing his own time when he was going to knock him out. And that is exactly how it played out.
The guy he fought was Nigel Benn

Ok so here goes for what it is worth. Fury looked like a man possessed upon entering the ring and what was clear was that Wilder would not look at him, whilst Fury had his eyes locked unto him as soon as he crossed the top rope. While Jimmy Lennon Jnr was doing the intros, Fury could be lip read calling Wilder a Dosser and other words not suitable to be repeated here.

Wilder started well, jabbing to the body in the first round, with the clear intent to get Fury to lower his guard leaving a target for Wilder to unleash his dangerous right hand. It took Fury one and a half rounds to work Wilder's new tactic out, hitting him with a combination at the end of the first that shook Wilder somewhat though.

Mike Tyson's saying that a gameplan goes out of the window when you are punched in the face also rang true, with Wilder slowly but surely forgetting to box behind the jab in the second round which had edged him the first.

By the third, Fury started to unload and caught Wilder flush in the last minute, it was at this point I woke my wife up and caused the dog to go into a barking frenzy LOL

Then the fourth round all hell broke loose. Wilder hit Fury right down the pipe through his guard, causing his body to wobble right down to his boots, subsequently flooring him in the process. Fury got up and with 15 seconds remaining got floored again, managing to get up as the bell for the end of the round rang.

From the fifth amazingly Fury took the fight to Wilder and whilst up to the final knockout in the 11th, Wilder looked more and more a spent force, you just knew he had it in him to floor Fury if his right hand connected again.

Even when Fury knocked Wilder down in the 10th, Wilder still managed to buzz Fury at the end of the round. Though the 11th saw Fury conclusively knock out Wilder, a right hand again doing the damage, which was proceeded by hooks and a solid uppercut.

This fight literally had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Indeed, it surpassed the tragic Benn vs McLennan fight of 95 IMO, which up until this point was the most explosive exciting contest I have ever watched.

I have watched it back a few times now and it actually gets better with each viewing. What played out on Saturday night / early hours of Sunday morning, will not be matched for a long long time. Fury has proven himself to be head and shoulders above everyone in the Heavyweight division, which is also the strongest it has been since the mid to late 90's IMO.

That lad is very good. Kick Boxing is in essence an offensive martial art. I do Shotokan Karate and my instructor's 15 year old nephew has just started. He is only an orange belt in Shotokan and has taken it up for the defensive techniques. However, he also has been attending American Kick Boxing classes for four years and is brown belt.

My god, he is lethal LOL - I am 47 and will readily admit he would kick the &^%^ out of me in a fight LOL

The power he puts into his kicks is amazing, holding the pads for him when doing so and braced, he still shifts me.

I do Shotokan Karate

Nice one, I did Okinawan Goju Ryu for a few years, best thing I ever did when I was younger, great for fitness, discipline and spent lots of time perfecting the most basic of skills, with anything fancy being reserved for the higher belts.

Am trying to get my kids to understand that technique comes before power, at the moment they are flailing arms and legs everywhere. everyone wants to hit hard but something to be said for doing the same thing over and over, muscle memory etc.

Quite impressed with Fury's technique, swings those hips and turns his feet well for a giant.

Muscle memory - you got it in one :)

It is amazing actually how ingrained it becomes repeating and repeating katas and techniques. Took the dog out the other day and a great big Pointer came bounding up and before I even realised it I blocked it from jumping up at me with a gedan barai block, pushing it to the side and past me LOLOL

Ok so here goes for what it is worth. Fury looked like a man possessed upon entering the ring and what was clear was that Wilder would not look at him, whilst Fury had his eyes locked unto him as soon as he crossed the top rope. While Jimmy Lennon Jnr was doing the intros, Fury could be lip read calling Wilder a Dosser and other words not suitable to be repeated here.

Wilder started well, jabbing to the body in the first round, with the clear intent to get Fury to lower his guard leaving a target for Wilder to unleash his dangerous right hand. It took Fury one and a half rounds to work Wilder's new tactic out, hitting him with a combination at the end of the first that shook Wilder somewhat though.

Mike Tyson's saying that a gameplan goes out of the window when you are punched in the face also rang true, with Wilder slowly but surely forgetting to box behind the jab in the second round which had edged him the first.

By the third, Fury started to unload and caught Wilder flush in the last minute, it was at this point I woke my wife up and caused the dog to go into a barking frenzy LOL

Then the fourth round all hell broke loose. Wilder hit Fury right down the pipe through his guard, causing his body to wobble right down to his boots, subsequently flooring him in the process. Fury got up and with 15 seconds remaining got floored again, managing to get up as the bell for the end of the round rang.

From the fifth amazingly Fury took the fight to Wilder and whilst up to the final knockout in the 11th, Wilder looked more and more a spent force, you just knew he had it in him to floor Fury if his right hand connected again.

Even when Fury knocked Wilder down in the 10th, Wilder still managed to buzz Fury at the end of the round. Though the 11th saw Fury conclusively knock out Wilder, a right hand again doing the damage, which was proceeded by hooks and a solid uppercut.

This fight literally had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Indeed, it surpassed the tragic Benn vs McLennan fight of 95 IMO, which up until this point was the most explosive exciting contest I have ever watched.

I have watched it back a few times now and it actually gets better with each viewing. What played out on Saturday night / early hours of Sunday morning, will not be matched for a long long time. Fury has proven himself to be head and shoulders above everyone in the Heavyweight division, which is also the strongest it has been since the mid to late 90's IMO.
Love your passion for the sport. I am a big fan of heavyweight boxing as well - Admittedly, not on your level though.

I tend to favor Joshua as I like his humility and physique. Watching Fury and Wilder, I am certain Joshua would have a very hard time against both of them. I can't yet bring myself to believe that he lost his belts to Usyk - but then again, Joshua is too nice of a guy. He lacks that KILLER instinct the aforementioned men have.

Do you think he will beat Usyk in the rematch? I will still love to see Joshua Vs. Fury - I think he has the power to drop Fury, but based on their last fights, I am losing confidence in him.

Nate

Technique is near-enough everything in these disciplines, or pretty much any competitive sport. As is the case with boxing, too many place emphasis on athleticism and hypertrophy, and less on honing their craft.

This is why Anthony Joshua's a poser and a bum, as is Wilder, the latter literally reliant on one punch, yet displaying no discipline in any other of the less 'glamorous' aspects, like, say, defence or basic footwork. Plus more often than not his only punch lacked technique too and he'd often be windmilling those telegraphed rights :D

Fury may look like The Blob but has good all- round technique, which also allows him to adapt quickly on the fly.

One look at the undercard just prior evidenced the same thing, where Efe Ajagba looked the part but ultimately got exposed for not being able to unlock Frank Sanchez's turtling defence and masterful counter- punching.

Always nice when the frauds get shown up for their wonky skillset whilst under the illusion they're somehow comparable to the greats :D

I can't help but conclude joshua and fury have been dodging each other, they've had 4 years to determine who is the better champion. Fury has now got to fight another mandatory challenger, if joshua beats usyk there will probably be a rematch written in, maybe just maybe late 2022 they might meet. Usyk is the best boxer imo but he's giving 3 or 4 stones away and lots of reach advantage, can't see how long he can keep that up, every fight going to the distance.

I can't help but conclude joshua and fury have been dodging each other, they've had 4 years to determine who is the better champion. Fury has now got to fight another mandatory challenger, if joshua beats usyk there will probably be a rematch written in, maybe just maybe late 2022 they might meet. Usyk is the best boxer imo but he's giving 3 or 4 stones away and lots of reach advantage, can't see how long he can keep that up, every fight going to the distance.
Usyk is a great boxer and seems like a really decent guy. The Ukrainian's don't seem to go in for showboating and trash talking too much. They show respect and get on with it.
Unlike this little shit

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back