Corona virus - Covid 19 discussion

Tragic as it all is the US is ninth in deaths 41/100k. Where's your country?

View attachment 136430

We are sitting in second partly due to the fact we counted all the deaths in retirement homes too unlike most other countries who only count those that passed away in hospitals.

Now, even if we didn't do that we would still be around France and USA's numbers.

I hear Florida has a serious epidemic of pneumonia too... and corona. Hard times indeed.

We are sitting in second partly due to the fact we counted all the deaths in retirement homes too unlike most other countries who only count those that passed away in hospitals.

Now, even if we didn't do that we would still be around France and USA's numbers.

I hear Florida has a serious epidemic of pneumonia too... and corona. Hard times indeed.

I didn't hear about the pneumonia but Florida has an increase in corona cases.

NY send COVID19 patients back to the retirement homes.

I think the US has fared pretty well considering the number of cities, size of BAME population, and level of health problems ( that put people at higher risk ) in the general population. I work it out as 1 death per 2,438 people approx.

I did see a graphic the other day to say that around 3 million children worldwide die each year due to food shortage to put things into perspective.

Fact is that the NHS was creaking at the seams, insufficient bed, not enough PPE and not enough ventilators. I work for an organisation which was procuring these items so I know how desperate the situation was.

Without the lock down there would have been many in need of critical care for whom no medical support could have been provided. I'm not saying they got it right, I am saying that without a lock down the situation would have been far worse.

That said I respect your opinion - we just all have different viewpoints. There are even the conspiracy theorists who say it was all a government control tactic - but they clearly already have brain damage :)
Was it bollocks over run. At best it was at normal capacity, and from April they've been dancing and singing and having the quietest time of their careers. And thats a fact!!!

The whole things a joke, I would be the 1st to advocate a lockdown if this virus had even a 3-5% mortality rate, but seeing it kills under 2 people in a million, its all a colossal overreaction and a devastating one for 1000s and 1000s of peoples livelihoods. Lockdown will be judged harshly and will be responsible for 10x the deaths of Wu Flu in the long run, and financial misery for millions more.

I think this article is quite telling from the guardian:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

The showpiece Nightingale hospital in
will shut next week after treating a small number of patients but will be kept “in hibernation” in case a second wave of Covid-19 infections emerges.

It will close on 15 May. Doctors, nurses and other staff working there were told the news on Monday morning. They will return to their usual hospitals during this week and next.

Originally planned to have 4,000 beds, the Nightingale has treated just 54 patients since it was opened by Prince Charles on 3 April and received its first patient on 7 April. It has not admitted a new patient for a week as London hospitals have had spare capacity in their own intensive care units.

The four other Nightingales that were opened to stop hospitals being overwhelmed – in Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Harrogate – will also be wound down, though the London hospital will shut first. All were conceived in March, when ministers and health service bosses were concerned that NHS hospitals risked being overwhelmed by significant numbers of people needing to be ventilated to keep them alive, as Italy was confronting at the time.

But while the Manchester hospital has taken some patients, its sister facilities in Birmingham, Bristol and Harrogate have not admitted anyone.

------
In one way it's good they weren't needed but many people suffering from cancer and other serious illnesses have had no hospital treatment or appointments/tests. So the overall situation could have been handled better surely.

53rd! Good job finnish people and our government! Helps when having people leading us who believe in science <3

Not bad 5.9/100k. Of course its much easier to control 5.5 million than some of the other countries with larger populations.

Not bad 5.9/100k. Of course its much easier to control 5.5 million than some of the other countries with larger populations.

You still need to do the right things. Just look at Sweden.
You barely had any real lockdown in US. Now cases are going up and you're doing nothing really.

You still need to do the right things. Just look at Sweden.
You barely had any real lockdown in US. Now cases are going up and you're doing nothing really.

We had a lock down here. They're doing the same here as any country, concentrating on the hot spots.

We had a lock down here. They're doing the same here as any country, concentrating on the hot spots.

I think Florida at least opened up way too soon. Wonder if their "lockdown" lasted even a week before they got tired of it. Different states are doing very different things. Maybe your state is doing better than other states. I hope at least!

I'd imagine having a tiny population certainly played a part, but then also one looks at San Marino and they got pasted. I'd imagine it's cultural attitudes that have played a part in its spread.

I alluded to Finland specifically about.....50 pages back, where its denizens would 'play their part' in a collective mindset to eradicate it instead of hoping politicians made it go away. So a proactive attitude if you will.

Then you have societies like the UK and U.S's whereby seemingly personal freedoms trump (pun intended) collective well-being. So effectively wanting everything, politicians to solve everything without us lifting a finger or taking personal accountability!

Some bloke got berated on the bus the other day by a fiery Karen, she laid into him like Mike Tyson for not wearing a mask. Normally I'd have felt sorry for his cowardice, but he actually proceeded to put the mask on HE HAD TIED AROUND HIS NECK ALL ALONG

And here we have American freedoms, granted it is an early clip and they're young imbeciles, but the point remains....

That's not to say people haven't been flouting the guidelines everywhere, but a bit of sun and Lockdown-easing and certain demographics turn into morons

And let's face it, if every corner of the U.K had Covid- testing outposts, hardly anyone would bother going

Was out with my daughter and mother today.
the mother is 65.

My mom was for months paranoid about going out or to a restaurant, anyhow she bit the bullet and we went out to dine.

they had the distancing, sanitisers etc...
no contact and the staff had the old masks on.
It did take away a bit of the experience as I know the staff and owners, but we all had a great time and the place was busy, not packed just nicely busy with atmosphere and done correctly.

I ain’t been to a pub as yet as it’s pretty sad if your desperate to be in a pub whilst these guidelines are in place.

but restaurant wise and eating out is something I’ve no issues with, also can’t wait to get back in a gym...
Only so many free weights a Greek god can use guys..

hope your well.
Ben

I think Florida at least opened up way too soon. Wonder if their "lockdown" lasted even a week before they got tired of it. Different states are doing very different things. Maybe your state is doing better than other states. I hope at least!

NY has a large Italian population and we know what happened in Italy. A lot of people traveled from Italy to NY and surrounding states before the travel ban. I think the ban was in March.

If you look at the US map and sort the worldometer by states you'll see 4 highest hit states, like my state of MA, NJ, CT all border NY. Over 60.5k deaths just from these 4 states.

I agree, I didn't post it at the time but I thought many states rushed opening by a couple weeks.

When the COVID first started I thought Florida would have been hit hard because Florida is where many people go to retire but the Governor did a good job early on concentrating on the retirement homes, especially when compared to NY.

Was it bollocks over run. At best it was at normal capacity, and from April they've been dancing and singing and having the quietest time of their careers. And thats a fact!!!

The whole things a joke, I would be the 1st to advocate a lockdown if this virus had even a 3-5% mortality rate, but seeing it kills under 2 people in a million, its all a colossal overreaction and a devastating one for 1000s and 1000s of peoples livelihoods. Lockdown will be judged harshly and will be responsible for 10x the deaths of Wu Flu in the long run, and financial misery for millions more.
I'm guessing this is one of those scenario's where we will have to agree to disagree as we both hold very strong opposing viewpoints!

I believe the excess death rate has been calculated at 64,000 people in the UK, a relatively small number when looking at a population of 66 million, but a very large number if one of them is a close relative.

With all due respect I believe you lost a certain degree of credibility with the statement that NHS staff have been singing and dancing since April - not least your assertion that it is a fact. Not only is this an insult to a fine collection of individuals who have put their lives at risk day in day out, working long hours with inadequate protection for months to save lives, but also a fact is something which is borne out by hard evidence.

Last edited:
, also can’t wait to get back in a gym...
Only so many free weights a Greek god can use guys..
I beg to differ :) I will wait a bit longer, my new gym is pretty small and is not 24 hour opening so the times I can get in there it's relatively packed.

Gone through 3 months of playing the game, I think I can manage it a bit longer with my reasonably substantial home gym

I beg to differ :) I will wait a bit longer, my new gym is pretty small and is not 24 hour opening so the times I can get in there it's relatively packed.

Gone through 3 months of playing the game, I think I can manage it a bit longer with my reasonably substantial home gym

Been to many gyms over the years and none have kept me in shape like my home gym i had in the garage, coupled with football and classes two or three times a week, I love keeping fit and playing competitive sports.

Then one day, well actually two days, two kids came along and i now do nothing.

Watching Ninja Warrior i said to my girl 'shall Daddy have a go at that?' she laughed and said 'you cant do that Daddy!'.....had ti chuckle as shes probably right now. The mind is still willing but the temple is a bit shabby and outdated. Would still love to have a go.

Been to many gyms over the years and none have kept me in shape like my home gym i had in the garage, coupled with football and classes two or three times a week, I love keeping fit and playing competitive sports.

Then one day, well actually two days, two kids came along and i now do nothing.

Watching Ninja Warrior i said to my girl 'shall Daddy have a go at that?' she laughed and said 'you cant do that Daddy!'.....had ti chuckle as shes probably right now. The mind is still willing but the temple is a bit shabby and outdated. Would still love to have a go.

If you get the chance watch Crossfit - those men and women are awesome. So motivational - and depressing when you see women doing squat lifts with 70 Kilos on the bar, and doing 20 handstands and 4 rope climbs, while you despairingly look at your barbell with a couple of balloons strapped to the end :)

If you get the chance watch Crossfit - those men and women are awesome. So motivational - and depressing when you see women doing squat lifts with 70 Kilos on the bar, and doing 20 handstands and 4 rope climbs, while you despairingly look at your barbell with a couple of balloons strapped to the end :)

I dont need to watch Crossfit to feel inadequate lol. I will have a look though thanks.

My kids are into some Ninja kids thing. Has the Rock and some other wrestlers, olympic athletes and general super fit, super strong yanks. There was an 11 year old girl shimmying up a rope quicker than i ever have.

Did you ever try the Insanity workouts? I did them for a while and i like that high intensity stuff.

I dont need to watch Crossfit to feel inadequate lol. I will have a look though thanks.

My kids are into some Ninja kids thing. Has the Rock and some other wrestlers, olympic athletes and general super fit, super strong yanks. There was an 11 year old girl shimmying up a rope quicker than i ever have.

Did you ever try the Insanity workouts? I did them for a while and i like that high intensity stuff.
Nope not tried them or any of the other video types. I always feel like a total dickhead leaping around in the house watching a video - plus my co-ordination is total dog poo. I am still going down into a squat while they are all leaping to the left and right!

I can lift weights, run in straight lines and cycle - anything which requires intelligence and following basic instructions is way beyond my limits. I did like the Japanese Ninja programmes, but then they brought into American Ninja and it turned into too much of a spectacle.

Anyway, nothing will ever beat Takeshi's castle for sheer athleticism and the joy of watching someone faceplant a door or a rock in the middle of a stream :)

Interesting stuff. Good to hear they covered the PPE aspect and the survival rate was high amongst the treated.

I take it you agree with this? Do you think your leaders did well?

Edit: I should say 'have done well so far?' Im in the mindset its all over. Hard to not think it around my way.

Interesting stuff. Good to hear they covered the PPE aspect and the survival rate was high amongst the treated.

I take it you agree with this? Do you think your leaders did well?

Edit: I should say 'have done well so far?' Im in the mindset its all over. Hard to not think it around my way.

I think the mistakes they made were made upfront by being complacent when the first reports reached us from China. Not only that but our strategical stockpile of PPE, mostly the less efficient surgical masks, weren't refreshed after they threw away a bunch of masks that went "out of date" after the 2009 flu pandemic.

But this has been the issue in most countries. I admire the fact they've been upfront about the deaths in care homes unlike most of the rest of the world, even tho this has lead to us being the laughing stock being front and center in some Trump pressers and like she wrote in the oped getting bad press around the world after a rather biased/badly weighted report.

From tomorrow masks are finally obligated in stores and movie theatres amongst some other places.

It could've been handled better. It could be worse if you see some other countries still struggling or shutting down again because they've gotten complacent and opened up too fast. Not to say this can't happen again here, especially because of the vacation period now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back