Bet Fair closing Hollywood Park

anniemac

Ueber Meister
PABnoaccred
Per the Daily Racing form, Bet Fair will be closing Hollywood Park at the end of this year. Seems that the property will be developed for housing and commercial use.

When Bet Fair bought the track, they were all about remodeling the track and grounds etc. Guess they did not make enough from this track to do so.

California racing isn't what it was but it's sad to see a 75 yr. old track with such history made into apartments and strip malls.

The relatively new CEO, Breon Corcoran, has been restructuring and refocusing the company extensively, firing staff, cutting costs, shutting down operations and withdrawing from "grey" legal area markets. But he has also acquired Blue Square, so there are still ambitions to expand - perhaps in a more focused fashion.

The jury is still out on how successful his re-engineering of the company is going to be, but I am disappointed that there is still no evidence that he is also looking at the past less-than-savoury operational decisions of the company that have so damaged its reputation with the players (see previous threads on this site for starters).

Too many tracks in america IMO. I love hollywood park, always has good racing and a good racecaller.
But the thing is Hollywood Park has been close to shutting down for years and i don't think Betfair is happy with the rejection of exchange wagering in California.

I wonder how that has gone down with local racing fans. British company comes in buys racetrack and then sells it to developers, after promising to do so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back