Backpage.com tests ethics of sex for sale What Is This World Coming To?

BingoT

Nurses love to give shots
What Is This World Coming To?
Some sick &^*&((

Backpage.com tests ethics of sex for sale

19 March 2012 Last updated at 20:22 ET Help
US classifieds website Backpage.com has become one of the primary destinations on the internet to buy sex. Hundreds of advertisements are posted each day by both pimps and prostitutes.

With the advent of the internet, prostitution moved off the street and onto the web, presenting a new set of challenges for law enforcement and sex abuse watchdogs.

In the past several years, the newspaper company that owns Backpage, Village Voice Media, has faced a string of protests from activists, as well as lawsuits from victims of sexual exploitation who allege that the site aids and abets forced prostitution.

Village Voice Media declined to be interviewed for the story. In a statement to the BBC, it said it is acting legally and cooperating with authorities to help prosecute those who misuse the website.

The BBC's Matt Danzico spoke to individuals who sell themselves on the site and to those campaigning for its closure.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Trying to work out what has made you mad in this article. I don't visit backpage.com (honest :)) so I have no idea if they have been peddaling prostitution of not. I am sure Craig's list is worse, with is casual encounters section. :eek:

Even kijiji is pretty bad - some kid got arrested here a few years ago after meeting women who'd posted personal ads and assaulting them. It's a good thing they caught him, he was charged with something like 6 sexual assaults in appx 10 days.

People really just need to stop meeting people because it doesn't really matter who you are, everyone else on the planet is nuts.

I've heard it said many times "Prostitution is the oldest profession" but it just doesn't make sense to me. If it was the oldest profession then at some point everyone would have been prostitutes by trade.

It wouldn't be a very lucrative business if everyone was just doing each other and breaking even.

I was searching the interweb yesterday for a place to take the wife to get a massage and quickly remembered that 'massage' on the internet really means "massage, nudge nudge, wink wink ;)". I changed my search to 'spas' :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back