Addiction - or just a gambler?

The 'problem' with gambling is the "losing". One can gamble until the cows come and it is not deemed either an addiction or a 'problem' if the individual derives a profit (or does not lose).

I would say that gambling addiction is more than losing. Like NextToYou pointed out there can be a skilled winning player who is totally addicted to playing, so he utilizes his addiction to make a profit. But the addiction can harm other parts of his life, so it becomes a problem that way.

However, people going to Gamblers Anonymous groups have usually lost heavily and this has caused problems in their life. I really don't believe there are many winning poker players there trying to get help to stop playing.

tofu23 said:
Stop the losing - stop the 'problem'. Agreed that you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him bet a bonus wisely.

I would actually say that losing at the beginning might be a saving grace if it discourages potential problem gambler to continue playing right at the start. But once a problem gambler hits a large win there will be no limit
how much he will lose because he always believes that some day he can repeat that win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back