wow this looks legit...

chayton

aka LooHoo
webmeister
PABnonaccred
CAG
I have to give them credit for using spell check at least. :rolleyes:

Dear my(at)email.com

We have recently enhance the security of the PayPal online account management system.

As a result of these recently enhancements, your PayPal online account was deactivated for an 30 days, after that is remove from our system.

You have to confirm the reactivation of the PayPal online account by filling out the form below:

Please click: Reactivate your account.

If you receive this e-mail and do you NOT Re(Activate), you are be fully responsible for the activity of account.

The registration will not be completed if you do not the press Reactivate your account.

Definitely trust what they are saying! You will regret it otherwise! In fact, there's a large chance the entire internet might dissolve if you do not follow their instructions!

They've added a real fear factor with this one. There must be so many people getting caught out, it really sucks!

I suppose even a really lousy phishing mail like this one will catch some people. About a week ago I went to a party where I was chatting to this older lady who had recently bought a computer and it was kind of amazing how gullible she was about stuff like this. She'd received a mail from a bank that fortunately she didn't bank at, but she was so concerned about the 'security of her account' that she wrote to them to discuss it. And by 'write to them' I don't mean write to her bank, but to the stupid scammers who sent her the email! :eek2: Fortunately they'd used a fake bank reply-to address that kept bouncing her mails back or otherwise she'd have probably given them her account information.

I suppose even a really lousy phishing mail like this one will catch some people. About a week ago I went to a party where I was chatting to this older lady who had recently bought a computer and it was kind of amazing how gullible she was about stuff like this. She'd received a mail from a bank that fortunately she didn't bank at, but she was so concerned about the 'security of her account' that she wrote to them to discuss it. And by 'write to them' I don't mean write to her bank, but to the stupid scammers who sent her the email! :eek2: Fortunately they'd used a fake bank reply-to address that kept bouncing her mails back or otherwise she'd have probably given them her account information.

My wife's mother is exactly the same. She received an email from a phoney email address that claimed to be from a bank that she didn't have an account with. She assumed it was genuine, thought she'd set up an account and forgotten about then filled in all the info. It was frightening how easy she slipped into it. Luckily, we heard about it before they could manipulate her account and got her info all changed. If you think about, if they email 20 million people that and only 0.1% fall for it then they're making a decent sum. Annoying that companies can get away with it still.

Speaking of which... I wonder what the King of Nigeria is up to these days and if he's still trying to find the £100 he lost that he wanted help subsidising?

oh the king is still around, he corresponds with me frequently using various pseudonyms. I know it's him because he always starts, "My Dearest in the Lord..." :rolleyes:

I never understood why, but the scammers and phishers and just crooks in general seem to step up their activity around the time of the big holidays. My Spam folders are filling up faster than ever these days. Getting many more junk phone calls from weird, nonexistent/spoofed phone #'s too.

My mom got phone call while I was at her apt the other day, claiming that if she didn't go out and buy a prepaid card to pay the local electric company for a past due bill they were going to cut off her electricity that very afternoon. I could see her get wide eyed then scowling -- Mom is 89, but bless her heart, she's pretty sharp. 'What's the name on that past due account please?' she asks. 'click' they hang up. :thumbsup: Then she asks me, 'what's a prepaid card'? LOL

I get so many emails from 'paypal' even the legit PP emails go into spam. Some of these new phishing mails look really good ... if you don't look too closely.

And I've been getting a lot of alerts this week from BoA about an account I've never had. :rolleyes:

Oh! P.S.... Never trust that King of Nigeria or any of his family... his backstabbing son that's stranded in another country and needs money so he can bring me the millions he stole from the crown... the aunt that wants to split an inheritance.... bah!! Liars the bunch of them.... LOL

im still waiting on my 4.5 million usa dollers

hahahahaha

there was a story of this guy who talked back and forth with the spammers and said he had no money but had just closed down a pc company
and they believed him and he made them pay shipping on a large shipment of "high end computer parts" off the big box went all the way to them at there expense they open the box and find old broken cd rom drives crt monitors and other crap with no value even in a 3rd world country and they ended up very very out of pocket.

also there's this a video of how a stock market scammer got scammed

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Quite a few years ago I read a story about a guy who was playing with one of the Nigerian prince spammers and somehow got the guy to pay him like $70 - I don't remember all the specifics but it was something like he had to pay $35 for a fee to get the money to Nigeria and because he'd emptied his account he couldn't do it. So the spammer actually sent him money twice before wising up.

There's a certain kind of karma in it though...

When I was young I had a collection agency come after me about a bill that I had already paid. They were really bugging me, calling me in the middle of the night and threatening me and screwing with my credit rating. I saw an ad in the newspaper from a lawyer who specialized in unfair collection practices, I called them and they took my case and won! Anyhow it ended up that the lawyers got a bunch of money, but the collection agency (who turned out to be some ***hole working from home) had to fix my credit report and pay me a cash settlement too. My last meeting with the lawyer, he said "This is hilarious, I got a call from the collection guy and he asked if he could work out a deal where he can pay you in installments." and so for almost a year I was one of the few people in the world to be receiving monthly payments from a collection agency. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back