What would you prefer your child to have? Gambling addiction or drug addiction?

fave-castle.gif

It’s the old, do you want to be shot or hung, really.

If we are talking extreme addiction, which I assume we are, then I would go with gambling.

Why? Well, you love your children and want the best for them. Pros and Cons, neither have any pros but drug addiction can lead to an untimely death. Not saying gambling can’t but in all essence, less likely.

The downside of a severe gambling addiction is the cost. I don’t know much about drugs but I doubt you could take 250 quids worth in an evening and survive (as I say, could be well off the mark) but you could blow 2k a night gambling and more.

Sorry for not being able to post a new thread without making a mess of it, but I've always found this site difficult to navigate.
I have 4 sons, and the second oldest is showing all the signs of being just like me. Im addicted to anything that gives me pleasure, and gambling has stuck with me all these years. I've used most drugs, aerosols, liquids, tablets, powders, tabs, and have obviously suffered because of that. But my question remains, would you prefer your child to be addicted to gambling or any of the above? I believe that anything OTHER than gambling CAN be conquered, I've seen people quit heroin and crack, but I've only ever seen one man quit gambling. Some context is required, im 47, im pissed now, I've been in treatment for alcoholism, I've taken Disulfiram and drank several times whilst being on it, i've been to AA etc, etc. I had 3 years once when I didn't take anything mood or mind altering, But my point is that I've never been able to stop gambling. Since my first 10p in a jpm fruity I've only ever stopped gambling for 12 weeks while I was in a treatment centre for alcoholism.
What is the point of this post?

To try and find out if a gambling addiction really is unbeatable?

Funny Funny goatwack. You are, in my opinion, the funniest person on this site and have been (from what IVE read) for the last

...........Several years. Haha. Did I mention that I was pished? And a loser.

Well for me of course, as any parent it would be neither, but if I had to choose between drugs and gambling for me it would be gambling.

This is mainly because I do gamble myself within limits so I would feel I stand a chance in understanding what’s going wrong and hopefully being more in a position to help them.

Admittedly not being an addict myself might not help me understand why they are but at least it’s a start.

Whereas drugs I will never understand why people even try them in the first place, it’s far better to never know, you don’t miss what you never had is the way I look at it.

About 20 years ago, someone told me that after injecting heroin, they would piss and shit under themselves and usually got their clothes burned with cigarettes. And this continued for some time. He had simply met with the wrong 'friends' during his 20s...

When he shared this story with me, it was hard to believe because he looked good, had a job, and showed no interest in drugs whatsoever. So i reckon getting over drugs (even those most dangerous ones), in general, should be easier than quitting gambling for good.

It’s the old, do you want to be shot or hung, really.

If we are talking extreme addiction, which I assume we are, then I would go with gambling.

Why? Well, you love your children and want the best for them. Pros and Cons, neither have any pros but drug addiction can lead to an untimely death. Not saying gambling can’t but in all essence, less likely.

The downside of a severe gambling addiction is the cost. I don’t know much about drugs but I doubt you could take 250 quids worth in an evening and survive (as I say, could be well off the mark) but you could blow 2k a night gambling and more.
Thx for your reply. I've worked in a bookies on and off for about 25 years and I could tell you about many men who either took their own life or lived lives of LOUD desperation. It makes me shudder.

Thx for your reply. I've worked in a bookies on and off for about 25 years and I could tell you about many men who either took their own life or lived lives of LOUD desperation. It makes me shudder.
"The downside of a severe gambling addiction is the cost".
I'm assuming of course that u mean the monetary cost?
Either that, or you're a VERY young and naive man. Sorry if I'm being overly dramatic.

Haha, u can see how pissed I am

I SHOULD note that the one person that I knew who gave up gambling until the day he died was a long standing member of G.A. I only knew him during my 3 stints to the rooms, but many people told me his story.

Good night, God bless. BIG UP THE AFFILIATES!

Why even choose? I wouldn't want my son to have either and I am lucky enough that there is little chance he ever would. It's a rhetorical question and I would say the first point is to beat your own addictions, master them and be there to support your son.

About 20 years ago, someone told me that after injecting heroin, they would piss and shit under themselves and usually got their clothes burned with cigarettes. And this continued for some time. He had simply met with the wrong 'friends' during his 20s...

When he shared this story with me, it was hard to believe because he looked good, had a job, and showed no interest in drugs whatsoever. So i reckon getting over drugs (even those most dangerous ones), in general, should be easier than quitting gambling for good.
A familiar experience to the Bonanza player.

And even in this case something is worse. How often do we choose between two evils - the lesser
Not really - herpes you can never get rid of and it won't kill you, syphilis untreated will kill you, but can be cured.

Gambling can be replaced with something else to fill the void or urge rather.

Drugs are not as simple as that

But yeah i dont think anyone would want there child to have either. Obviously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back