Warning !! Please get your vitamin D levels checked soon !

LaurieJim

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
Well for the past 15 years I have experienced what I thought were those menopausal blues and just plain old panic attacks , well I was wrong.

In all my life I have never had my Vitamin level D checked during blood work , I had this done getting ready for a Gallbladder surgery on the 3 erd of Feb and guess what , mine was at 17 , this is not good and explained fatigue , panic attacks , upper resp. infections , sinus problems , muscle pain , sore joints and weight gain , up 15 pounds to 135 , this also brings on SAD which for nations without sun in the winter can come on like a demon.

My new Doctor did a simple test that is done by blood work and today I received my first 2cc's of vitamin D in my vein , this will require 2 more visits and then go on to take a RX version of Vitamin D , monitored every 3 months to make sure I do not get too much.

My energy level has been for crap over the past few years and any one who has known me on here for a long period of time will know I lived on this site , just have not had the energy but now I know why.

This is why I am asking all my CM buddies on here to get that level checked , it could save your life and your doctor will not check if you do not ask , it does not cost that much.

I thought you got all the D you needed from the sun , some of you knowing where I live would think it odd to be so low but it can happen , even to the best of us , mostly our European friends.

I will post Thursday after my second infusion as this is the one that most feel better .

Always,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie, made a note to do this ASAP. Have been feeling low on energy myself last couple of weeks (granted, with the festivities and all, but still...) Hope you're feeling much better now.:)

i take the vitamin D recommended 2000 mg daily i think especialy in the winter months because of the cloud cap i was told by a doctor that all people in the northern states are vitamin D deficient

thanx for reminding me to stock up :thumbsup:

I take Vitamin D 1000MG in supplement form (as Choclecalciferol) along with a whole slew of other supplements. Vitamin D supplements are inexpensive and a good way to get more of this important vitamin. Mine cost me under $5. I noticed a difference with energy levels within a few days.

Is there any illness that can cause lo vitamin d :confused:

Here in Norway we call it the winter :p. Without being a MD or so i know that the sun helps your body create this vitamin, and where I live here in the late fall and winter here we got sun from around 8-9am to about 3-4 pm in the evening, that means that those of us that work inside dont get to see the sun very much each day, and that may lead to low vitamin D levels unless one get it from another source.

Personally I get pretty depressed each fall, but I guess it could be worse. Like living all the way up North where they don't see the sun at all for 2-3 months each winter.

I have been thinking about a vit D supplement for a while. I have the regular multivitamins, but they don't provide enough of some vitamins to combat problems. I added a booster 100% RDA of mixed B recently, as well as the multivitamins, and am considering trying the D booster on top. That article suggests that below 5000 IU, it can safely be taken without the need for monitoring.

The UK has the National Heath Service, so we don't normally have to commission our own tests and procedures, but this also means that tests like this are not normally offered, or even available on request, unless the doctor decides that there are symptoms that could be caused by a deficiency.

There are so many of these tests that we can't usually get them done on demand without providing a good reason. The fact that they could SAVE money in the long term just doesn't make it through the thick skulls of most politicians, who worry about the "now" cost, and dismiss the long term costs as "someone else's problem", usually coming to light when the opposition party gets into office.

There are many companies advertising a "health check" for about £300, but the private industry is not properly regulated, and there are many cases of dodgy clinics making things worse.

What is this "sun" you speak of?

I know exactly what you mean! Last year we had a sunny day here in Ireland (It can happen) and the following day this was the front page of one of the papers.

yellow-object-spotted-in-sky.jpg

I'm had low energy for years too, but just assumed I was a lazy bum. Off to the vitamin store with me. Thanks Laurie.

Just remember to eat the right stuff & take a supplement each day if needed.
Everyone has a deficiency of Vitamin D today.
& if your body has too much of it don't worry it will come out in your urine.:)
If you are covered in prescription drugs ask your doctor to give you one for Vitamin D because the cost for over the counter is crazy.
I pay $5.00 for 100 tabs for 2000mg's of vitamin D.
& a good site for great info is one I use a lot is Web MD
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I wish you all a healthy life ahead.

the sun helps your body create this vitamin,
This is so true but if you take vitamin D stop taking it for the summer months & start again in the Fall.

Just remember to eat the right stuff & take a supplement each day if needed.
Everyone has a deficiency of Vitamin D today.
& if your body has too much of it don't worry it will come out in your urine.:)
If you are covered in prescription drugs ask your doctor to give you one for Vitamin D because the cost for over the counter is crazy.
I pay $5.00 for 100 tabs for 2000mg's of vitamin D.
& a good site for great info is one I use a lot is Web MD
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I wish you all a healthy life ahead.

This .

is so true but if you take vitamin D stop taking it for the summer months & start again in the Fall

I was told that if you have trouble with your levels , sun may do some good and lets face it , I go butt naked in the summer here at the resort and my levels have been down for years as far as they can predict due to not having the blood checked for D ever. Anyone with low D should be checked and take whatever amount they need to increase their level to the goal that will give them back what their body is being robbed of from even a sinus infection, simple cold , flu and other hosts of illness.

I thought I had COPD and was tested again after a battle with colds and such and NO COPD was found , this got my new Dr. looking , more test were done and I have a Gallbladder that has to come out, he also ran some new state of the art tests , showed me places where I have inflammation in my shoulder due to guess what, Low D. It has not turned to extreme arthritis as we caught it in time to be treated and getting my levels up will help.

It is a God aweful feeling to have no energy , foggy headed , panic attacks , pain , you feel like you are dying inside and one little vitamin helps , this is why I beg anyone reading this don't blow it off if you have had these symptoms , TAKE BACK YOUR LIFE !

We only have one life to live so live it to it's fullness , embrace it , own it , it is yours to take good care of !

Laurie

It's also worth pointing out that vitamin D can be stored and you don't easily pass excess out. It is highly toxic in excess.
Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which means your body has a hard time getting rid of it if you take too much. When you take large amounts of vitamin D, your liver produces too much of a chemical called 25(OH)D.

When your 25(OH)D levels are too high, this can cause high levels of calcium to develop in your blood. High blood calcium is a condition called hypercalcemia.

The symptoms of hypercalcemia include:
◾feeling sick or being sick
◾poor appetite or loss of appetite
◾feeling very thirsty
◾passing urine often
◾constipation or diarrhea
◾abdominal pain
◾muscle weakness or pain
◾feeling confused
◾feeling tired

Mmmm... we'd better get it just right.

It's also worth pointing out that vitamin D can be stored and you don't easily pass excess out. It is highly toxic in excess.
Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which means your body has a hard time getting rid of it if you take too much. When you take large amounts of vitamin D, your liver produces too much of a chemical called 25(OH)D.

When your 25(OH)D levels are too high, this can cause high levels of calcium to develop in your blood. High blood calcium is a condition called hypercalcemia.

The symptoms of hypercalcemia include:
◾feeling sick or being sick
◾poor appetite or loss of appetite
◾feeling very thirsty
◾passing urine often
◾constipation or diarrhea
◾abdominal pain
◾muscle weakness or pain
◾feeling confused
◾feeling tired

Mmmm... we'd better get it just right.

This is why you need to have bloodwork done every 3 months by your Dr. to make sure you do not have to much as that can be just as harmful, being toxic can also happen but less likely just taking a daily dosage (over the counter). This is nothing to play around with and I have read and talked to many about it and it still scares the crap outa me and still much to understand.

Thanks for that , was hoping someone would post about it as well.

Laurie

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back