Tell Congress to Pass the Cost-of-Living Adjustment

jas2587

Dormant account
Yes I am a proud card carrier of AARP cough but I am so young

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

CINDY,

Social Security recipients aren't going to get a cost-of-living adjustment next year even though their health expenses are rising fast.

It's up to Congress to make sure 41 million seniors get the help they need to make ends meet!

Tell Congress to address this critical issue for seniors.

I have some bad news for 41 million seniors who depend on Social Security.

For the first time in 35 years, seniors are not expected to receive a cost-of-living adjustment
, the yearly increase that helps them make ends meet and keep up with rising prices.

This is a serious problem and unless Congress acts, millions of seniors will see their checks stay flat or even reduced while the costs of prescription drugs, utilities and health care continue to climb fast.:mad:

Cindy

Please sign even if you are Non USA ya never know

I know this is a gambling forum. But, this is a very serious issue to millions of seniors and disabled people. The cost of living increase every year was truly minimal, barely made a dent in the yearly increases for medicare and prescription drugs, etc. But, it was something.

One of my pet peeves is that we spend millions of dollars every year on problems around the world, while ignoring the problems at home. We help feed starving people in more than one place, yet ignore the starving people here. We help with medicines around the world, yet so many here in the USA can not afford their necessary drugs, unless they want to spend food money to get them.

Cindy, thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: I am sure more than a few will be happy to sign up and send to congress.

My pleasure it helps us all really our well not mine but they will get the few extra bucks to help them out my folks are in heaven glad they cant see the mess we are in here on Earth well they can see but you know
I have asked my Mom to reach out a slap a few people for me so if yas feel a slap hehehehe you know where it came from:D

all kidding aside this is a very important issue please sign if not for yourself cause yes you will be old 1 day but your parents our children etc etc

Cindy:)

?

don,t know if this is for sure but i,ve heard that they r already sending out letters to let folks know they won,t be getting a rise in their checks. i signed. i know my mom is on it and my baby gets s.s.i and i also know alot of older folks who r having trouble making ends met. if the people in washington would stop giving themself rises and give it to people who really need it then they would not have to decide weather they eat one month or get their meds and hope they can get by for the rest of the month. sorrie shape for thoses of us lower on the food chain.

My reply from them

Please do not reply to this e-mail. If you need to send another message to Senator Nelson, please use the form on his Web site: Link Removed ( Old/Invalid)

Dear Ms. Witch:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the Social Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA).

Many Floridians have raised concerns about the discrepancies between their Social Security checks and the cost of living, and experts are estimating that seniors may not get a Social Security COLA for 2010 because of the drop in gas prices.

It just doesnt make any sense to ask seniors to forego a cost-of-living increase next year when seniors have been some of hardest hit Americans with losses in investment and retirement plans and their home values falling to new lows, not to mention sharp increases in their health care costs. I am hopeful that the President will take all this into account before the Social Security folks make a final decision on a COLA in October.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me about this important issue. Please feel free to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at Link Removed ( Old/Invalid)

Name was changed to protect the innocent ME :D

Cindy

Feedback from my Senator

Responding to your message?
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Wed 10/21/09 6:12 PM
To: laurie

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding your support for a Social Security Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) in 2010. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I understand your concern for your Social Security income, especially during these difficult economic times. You may know that the COLA for Social Security is based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and that this formula has been in use since the early 1980s. Depending on economic growth or shrinkage and the rate of inflation, the COLA may increase or decrease year to year. For 2009, Social Security recipients received a 5.8% COLA increase, a historically high COLA due in part to high energy prices in 2008.

Currently, the Social Security Administration is projecting that there will be no COLA for 2010 and possibly for 2011 due to a relatively unchanged CPI. This is in part due to the financial crisis and economic downturn. By law, Social Security payments cannot go down even if the CPI goes down; however, it is possible that they will not increase.

I know that millions of Americans rely on Social Security benefits to meet their financial needs, and therefore we must balance whatever action is taken with the need to ensure that Social Security is financially solvent so that it will be there for seniors in the years to come. There is no doubt in my mind that there will soon be much further discussion on this critically important issue. The insight and information you have given here will certainly help my staff and me more effectively look into this issue, and I thank you for your input.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me as I serve you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

I Will Sign .....

But I doubt this petition will do any good when we have to rely on the morons in the MAJORITY!

Obama's proposal calls for sending $250 payments to Social Security recipients
instead of the cost of living increase in 2010.

You get a whole $250.00 when Trillions being spent with no benefit to the workers in this Country? And people still support this Administration?

They will bankrupt us all and the dollar will end up being worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back