Rugby League World Cup

PNEFOREVER2

Dormant account
So another world cup is here and this time it's the turn of the less appreciated (if you live anywhere but UK or Australia mainly) sport of Rugby League.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to who might win this time around and why. Personally I think England have a great chance this time with Tompkins, Charnley, Sinfield and Roby being picked. Although tomorrows opener vs Australia will be a tough game - as it usually is in any sport.

Thoughts?

Sorry, but my thoughts are: Who cares - what a boring stupid game!

The problem with rugby is it's such a stop-start game and who really understands what the hell is going on with those stupid scrums and ridiculous throw-ins?
(Is it League or Union who have the scrums? Not that I care either way!)
Let alone the scoring system which seems totally bizarre to me...

Nope, I would rather watch a whole Preston North-End game of proper football than 15 minutes of Rugby League! :p

KK

KK

Each to their own as they say.

The problem with rugby is it's such a stop-start game and who really understands what the hell is going on with those stupid scrums and ridiculous throw-ins?
KK

In a sense, anyone that doesn't like nor understand any game could say the same. Part of the skill of rugby is the kicking game-hence the line-outs and the strength of both teams-hence the scrums. Both codes have scrums. Scoring system - Union - 5 points for a try, 2 for a conversion, 3 for a penalty/drop goal. League - 4 for a try, 2 a conversion/penalty, 1 for a drop goal. Simples!

Nope, I would rather watch a whole Preston North-End game of proper football than 15 minutes of Rugby League! :p

KK

You use to be one of my 3 favourite posters of the forum. Nifty - you've been promoted!

So another world cup is here and this time it's the turn of the less appreciated (if you live anywhere but UK or Australia mainly) sport of Rugby League.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to who might win this time around and why. Personally I think England have a great chance this time with Tompkins, Charnley, Sinfield and Roby being picked. Although tomorrows opener vs Australia will be a tough game - as it usually is in any sport.

Thoughts?

You have not been watching the Aussies to closely then, there is a good chance we will get rolled. Although England could not even knock off Italy :p

You will have the big 3 at the top as usual New Zealand, Australia and England and It would be hard to pick a winner from those. There maybe a few upsets with a bit of talent coming through to the lower teams Papua New Guinea and Samoa etc.

KK

How is Soccer (proper football :p) less boring than rugby league, its like pong on grass :thumbsup:

You guys need to start watching some Proper Football in the AFL, although its starting to get as bad as soccer. :D

You have not been watching the Aussies to closely then, there is a good chance we will get rolled. Although England could not even knock off Italy :p

You will have the big 3 at the top as usual New Zealand, Australia and England and It would be hard to pick a winner from those. There maybe a few upsets with a bit of talent coming through to the lower teams Papua New Guinea and Samoa etc.

How is Soccer (proper football :p) less boring than rugby league, its like pong on grass :thumbsup:

You guys need to start watching some Proper Football in the AFL, although its starting to get as bad as soccer. :D

The Aussies usually raise their game when it's v New Zealand or us English. As for the Italy result, I don't think Italy are as crap as people like to make out - a number of them play for top Australian and English clubs - Sydney Roosters, St Helens, Warrington. And if that result was going to happen, I'd rather it happen a week before the World Cup.

Australia will win this 100% their squad is just too good from 1-17 class in every position

England are coached by the biggest clown in rugby league McBanana he did a bad job at Bradford so why the rfl thought he'd do a good job for England is beyond me, He's kicked hock out for more or less staying in bed an extra 10 mins yes i know 6-7 went out drinking but they have only been dropped for todays game

The main problem for England in todays game is Rangi Chase he's clueless why the likes of Matty Smith who is English hasn't been given a shot with Widdop in the halfs is beyond me, Our pack was solid untill the whole drinking thing kicked off now it's shot to bits the ideal pack would be

G.Burgess M.McIlorum S.Burgess
B.Westwood S.O'Loughlin
K.Sinfield

Them first 5 could mix it with any pack in world and rough it up which you need to beat the aussies with the like of Graham,Hock and Tom Burgess on the bench

The only chance we have of winning this game now is giving a certain Sam Tomkins overtime when i first saw this guy play i knew he'd be special he's one of them players you get every 3-4 decades his turn of pace and balance is unreal and on the plus side he's got something to prove to them before he joins the Warriors in the NRL

So imo today get your calculators at the ready this is going to be a good hiding

KK
Let me tell you a quote which for me is 100% spot on 'Football players spend 90 mins pretending their injured,Rugby players spend 80 mins pretending their not injured'

It's the toughest sport on the planet guys have played on with broken backs,jaws,arms noses etc...

You have to be super fit to play this sport cause your in the action all the time

You never know...

Let's be honest, anyone but the Aussies in this case - sorry Aussies, you're welcome to the Ashes but you're just too big-headed when it comes to Rugby league :p

KK - It's Rugby Union that's rubbish, League's the proper northern one that has teams not made up exclusively of public school hoorays.

9-2 England first match, worth a punt.

Well, as a 'Pom' fair play to the Aussies, they got their act together after the first 20 and played pretty well, despite the odd error elsewhere in the game. There were a few fortuitous decisions that went in Australia's favour - like Charnley being ruled to have skimmed the sideline yet anyone could clearly see the green of the grass between his boot and the line. This decision led to Australia's first try of the second half.

Furthermore England were ruled to have ripped the ball out of an Aussie players hand which seemed dubious - this again led to another, Australia's 2nd to last try. I think when you have a match like this, the winners likely to avoid New Zealand until the final yet a kiwi is placed as the ref - why? Why not a welsh ref for example?

Anyhow, at the risk of sounding like I'm making excuses, well done you deserved it and I doubt it will have any effect on us progressing - no offence to Fiji/Ireland fans.

Good luck to them for the rest of the tournament. Not too much mind :rolleyes:

KK

Well rugby league is what NFL is based on. Says it all.

As for watching PNE you'd never see the whole game as you'd be asleep by half-time...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back