Reduced RTPs

Not a mad view at all. Its the industry that has it messed up.

In my opinion there shouldnt even be different versions and always thought it was a job for advertising standards.

You want to push a lower paying slot with worse rtp then bring out a new one.

Why disguise it?

Your not mad mate, its twisted.
I don't think advertising standards will see it that way.

Discount retailers can very legally sell a mars bar which is imported, or prepared for a different market and has a substantially inferior chocolate and overall ingredient list to a UK version. They are both just a Mars Bar. Not to mention that all chocolate bars are constantly being reduced in size but retailing at same price.

I worked as a discount manager for years - and there was the same issue with Nescafe. Discount retailers would ship it in bulk from Nescafe Brazil and sell it as Nescafe. Nescafe UK were besides themselves and just could not stop it. This is not that dissimilar a situation.

Similarly a large chips from one chippy - cost £2 may be smaller than a medium chips (£1.50) from its nearest competitor.

If you want a service industry comparison.... how about MOT and Car Service prices?

As always its buyers beware wether we like it or not.

I don't think advertising standards will see it that way.

Discount retailers can very legally sell a mars bar which is imported, or prepared for a different market and has a substantially inferior chocolate and overall ingredient list to a UK version. They are both just a Mars Bar. Not to mention that all chocolate bars are constantly being reduced in size but retailing at same price.

I worked as a discount manager for years - and there was the same issue with Nescafe. Discount retailers would ship it in bulk from Nescafe Brazil and sell it as Nescafe. Nescafe UK were besides themselves and just could not stop it. This is not that dissimilar a situation.

Similarly a large chips from one chippy - cost £2 may be smaller than a medium chips (£1.50) from its nearest competitor.

If you want a service industry comparison.... how about MOT and Car Service prices?

As always its buyers beware wether we like it or not.

I also worked in the grey market for confectionery, funnily enough, purchased from Brazil amongst others and imported to UK :)

Our 'pitch' was that we would only distribute into small ethnic stores with no vicinity of standard retailers but they didn't care, although my boss was cautious enough for me to think there would be repercussions.

I don't see it the same way funnily. If the same chippy sold two portions of chips - one small and one medium for the same price then yes.

Also, as much as Nestle should reign their distribution network in, it's still unallowed and frowned upon whereas with slot RTP it's not, well, it's not unallowed.

I also worked in the grey market for confectionery, funnily enough, purchased from Brazil amongst others and imported to UK :)

Our 'pitch' was that we would only distribute into small ethnic stores with no vicinity of standard retailers but they didn't care, although my boss was cautious enough for me to think there would be repercussions.

I don't see it the same way funnily. If the same chippy sold two portions of chips - one small and one medium for the same price then yes.

Also, as much as Nestle should reign their distribution network in, it's still unallowed and frowned upon whereas with slot RTP it's not, well, it's not unallowed.
I worked for what was at the time a massively growing Discount retailer - it now a pretty big player and worked in buying for a few months.. its mad the stuff that goes on.

Lucozade recently reduced their medium size bottles from 1l to 900ml, with snazzy new labels to boot. TESCO had the nerve to launch it as a NEW product at a penny less than the previous version - which was still on the shelves.

As I said - there are a hell of a lot of businesses pulling similar tricks - it really just is buyer beware.

Aye, the grey market stuff can be very variable. It's not even always lower quality as such, just made for the different tastes of that market. I couldn't drink the Brazilian Nescafe, or eat the Arabic Star Bars that turn up in the discount shops. Quality is there, but the taste was wrong. (e.g. with the chocolates, Cadbury add more preservatives to the mixes intended for hotter climates; they don't notice out there, as it's what they've always had. I will never buy Australian Cadbury again. Vile. (Though obviously not as bad as any form of Hershey (other than Cookies & Creme))).

Last edited:
Didn't Tesco lose a high court case regarding selling imported 501's back in the early 2000's and thereafter any being sold in the UK were being classed as fake? Surely if Nescafe et all want to prevent imported stocks being sold they could rely on that case? Or has it been overturned since then.

Didn't Tesco lose a high court case regarding selling imported 501's back in the early 2000's and thereafter any being sold in the UK were being classed as fake? Surely if Nescafe et all want to prevent imported stocks being sold they could rely on that case? Or has it been overturned since then.

The Nescafe situation was "resolved" in that it has to be described as Imported. It was crazy because it was two arms of the same multinational corporation going at each other - Nescafe basically sued Nescafe.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back