Question for members who reside in the UK

LHofsdal

Ueber Meister
MM
Hello!

My husband and I are thinking about taking our daughter to England for the summer. The last time we went to England was almost 9 years ago. We want to go to different places this time, and not just stay in London. We are thinking of going for 8 to 9 weeks.

My questions: Is there any places we should avoid this trip, and what are some decent places to stay at? What are some Hotels that would be nice to stay at, and what Hotels should we avoid?

I really hate using travel agents, so I thought I would ask here first before going to a travel agent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
LH

Hello!

My husband and I are thinking about taking our daughter to England for the summer. The last time we went to England was almost 9 years ago. We want to go to different places this time, and not just stay in London. We are thinking of going for 8 to 9 weeks.

My questions: Is there any places we should avoid this trip, and what are some decent places to stay at? What are some Hotels that would be nice to stay at, and what Hotels should we avoid?

I really hate using travel agents, so I thought I would ask here first before going to a travel agent.

Thanks.
LH

Devon and Cornwall is nice in the summer.

Hello!

Thanks.
LH

you should also check out bournemouth south coast uk ( dorset ) which is about 2 hours from london )

Agree with all the above!

Just avoid Hastings where I live - it's a bit of a dump.
A couple of months back some yobs set fire to our pier, so now there's literally NOTHING to see here...
:(

thx KK i worked there last year for a few weeks fish n chips are GREAT ! & you do have that comos chinese thee):thumbsup: all you can eat for 11 quid cant be bad)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

@KK: That is just horrible. Hope they catch the idiots that caused the fire.

LH

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

@KK: That is just horrible. Hope they catch the idiots that caused the fire.

LH

he didnt tell you it was falling down anyway ! maybe they set it on fire in hope they would revamp it , its still got the old fishing style at the far end where they take the fishing boats from beach every morning ny foot , nice to see some old traditions left )

I think you might consider Bath and York, too - very appealing areas with fascinating history going back to Roman and Viking times.

Webzcas can tell you more about Bath...

Definitely Bath, and while you are there go to Cheddar (Gorge and caves) and a day in Bristol (S Great Western, zoo, Clifton suspension bridge and observatory). Not far from Devon & Cornwall.

Some beautiful coastline in Devon and South Cornwall - North Cornwall coast is not so nice. Worth going to Fowey, St Ives, the Jurassic coast and the Eden Project. Lost Gardens of Hellidon ok too. Head into South and West Wales too while you are down there - again some beautiful places for a couple of days and definitely go o the Snowdonia National Park and go up Snowdon (think you can get a small train up or you can walk).

The Channel Islands are also nice, notably jersey and my favourite Guernsey -they are small - but well worth a couple of days.

Heading up from Devon to London, don't forget Stonehenge and the picture postcard village of Castle Coombe. Busy in the summer of course.

The Lake District up North is beautiful in the summer - Keswick area is where I know and especially if you like walking.

Cambridge and Oxford are also good places to go, as is York and farther North, Chester.

Cheers,

Simmo!

Definitely Bath, and while you are there go to Cheddar (Gorge and caves) and a day in Bristol (SS Great Western, zoo, Clifton suspension bridge and observatory). Not far from Devon & Cornwall.

Some beautiful coastline in Devon and South Cornwall - North Cornwall coast is not so nice. Worth going to Fowey, St Ives, the Jurassic coast and the Eden Project. Lost Gardens of Hellidon ok too. Head into South and West Wales too while you are down there - again some beautiful places for a couple of days and definitely go to the Snowdonia National Park and go up Snowdon (think you can get a small train up or you can walk).

The Channel Islands are also nice, notably jersey and my favourite Guernsey -they are small - but well worth a couple of days.

Heading up from Devon to London, don't forget Stonehenge and the picture postcard village of Castle Coombe. Busy in the summer of course.

The Lake District up North is beautiful in the summer - Keswick area is where I know and especially if you like walking.

Cambridge and Oxford are also good places to go, as is York and farther North, Chester. The South East has Canterbury which has some history.

Cheers,

Simmo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back