Problem gambling funding to be studied

jetset

RIP Brian
UK GAMING COMMISSION TASKED WITH ASSESSING PROBLEM GAMBLING CONTRIBUTIONS

Review of current voluntary funding policy to be carried out

Hard on the heels of the UK Gambling Prevalence report, which showed that problem gambling has not grown in 8 years (see previous InfoPowa report) comes news that the the Department for Culture, Media and Sport has tasked the Gambling Commission with carrying out a review of the effectiveness and level of the current voluntary arrangements that fund gambling research, treatment and public education.

Department Minister Gerry Sutcliffe said: "The gambling industry has a responsibility to make the right level of funding available to treat those who are harmed by its products. And we owe it to the public to make sure that they have ready access to the facts that they need to make informed choices about gambling, to help reduce the risks.

"I have therefore asked the Gambling Commission to review the current voluntary arrangements for industry funding of gambling research, treatment and public education. I expect the commission's review to include comment on funding levels, how the money is spent, and whether a statutory levy should be considered.

"The Gambling Act has brought in tough regulatory powers. We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and will not hesitate to regulate further if needed."

The Gambling Commission said it is to carry out further research "to help target future regulation and enforcement".

The Responsibility in Trust charity recently called for more funding to improve gambling research and treatment initiatives.

I blame the National Lottery, go figure.

Gambling has always been commonplace in the UK. The lottery brought it into almost every household in the UK. I'll interrogate Gerry next time I see him :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back