Pokertracker.com Hacked

pokeraddict

Webmaster
It has been confirmed at 2+2 by Pat that Pokertracker.com has been hacked. It would be a good idea to not use PT or at the very least turn off auto updates until the site is back under Pat's control. I'll post when it fixed.

It's still down. Some players reported getting trojans. Since the site is down the threat should be over for possible updates, to be sure I would still not visit PT or run it if you auto check for updates. I'll alert when this is resolved.

Pokertracker.com was live again on Monday. With the other industry news going on I forgot to post it here. According to Pat the site was simply hacked, the site files and the software were never compromised.

How is it possible that the site was hacked but
...the site files and the software were never compromised.

As a bit of an expert in this sort of thing, and I find that statement very very very hard to believe.

So how was the owner of Poker Tracker aware that his site was hacked if no files were 'compromised'?

How is it possible that the site was hacked but

As a bit of an expert in this sort of thing, and I find that statement very very very hard to believe.

So how was the owner of Poker Tracker aware that his site was hacked if no files were 'compromised'?

The website was hacked but none of the patches or software downloads were changed. In other words the html/php whatever was replaced. I guess I meant the software files stored on the site. I worded it poorly.

Hack PT and see hole cards of other players
this theory was prompted by china pro players long ago!

AP case has been discussed extensively on chinese poker forums. many people think PT is the fault.

The website was hacked but none of the patches or software downloads were changed
Again, it is virtually impossible to tell what, if anything was changed by the hackers. So that statement is questionable at best.

About the only way to be absolutely sure the files and db are not corrupted after a hack is to restore the entire site from a separate backup that was not stored on the same server as the hack occurred on. But as this usually means a loss of data, most folks won't deal with a hack this way.

I don't know how Poker Tracker dealt with their restore after the hack. So maybe they did dot all the I's and cross all the T's. But if they are telling you that just a few pages were messed up and its no big deal, it sounds to me like they did not bother to restore the entire site from a backup.

You could keep cryptographic hashes of the files with something like Tripwire to determine what has been changed.

Again, it is virtually impossible to tell what, if anything was changed by the hackers. So that statement is questionable at best.

About the only way to be absolutely sure the files and db are not corrupted after a hack is to restore the entire site from a separate backup that was not stored on the same server as the hack occurred on. But as this usually means a loss of data, most folks won't deal with a hack this way.

I don't know how Poker Tracker dealt with their restore after the hack. So maybe they did dot all the I's and cross all the T's. But if they are telling you that just a few pages were messed up and its no big deal, it sounds to me like they did not bother to restore the entire site from a backup.

I think the entire online poker community has faith in Pat and his product.

Hack PT and see hole cards of other players
this theory was prompted by china pro players long ago!

AP case has been discussed extensively on chinese poker forums. many people think PT is the fault.

It certainly is possible. I wonder if everybody that got cheated was running PT. That would be some interesting research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back