Pet Owners watch out... it's skunk season!

mysticjoz

I just wanted to give everyone the heads up on this one. I know you all probably have seen them around and know it's skunk season, but do you know how bad they can actually hurt your pet?
I feel so bad for my Ruby girl right now, as she cowers on the back porch of my mom's house because she had a run in with a skunk tonight.
And not just a "yuck you smell" run in......
As some of you know, she is always at my side, or with me. But the back yard is fenced in, so.. at 3 am she decided she needed to go out. :mad:

I always bring a flashlight with us. I usually sit at the top of the deck stairs while she sniffs around and points out every single bird and squirell. This time.. not only did I forget the flashlight but she lunged down the stairs in a panic! I heard her go after something and then heard her yelp! While I made my way back in for the flashlight and rushed back down the stairs.. I felt a burning in my nose. (It did not smell like skunk at first.. more like a strong burnt rubber smell that actually burns your nose right away).
As I brought the flashlight closer to her I noticed her head down, Her eyes shut tight, drooling profusely out of her mouth AND nose.
Then I noticed she couldn't see!!! :eek:
As she came closer the smell was gagging~and burned even more!

I just spent an hour trying to clean this spray out of her eyes and mouth. (without touching her fur..lol) Needless to say she got it right square in the face and eyes. and She stinks to the high heaven! (and it's highly possible I do too... :mad: ).
Please be careful with your pets. I was a Vet Tech for 12 years and I have never seen any animal get sprayed this bad.

When we first got our collie he was clueless to any critter that moved. He would race right up and start that play stance. You dog owners know the one jump at them look back and like your turn chase me. Well i had him and older black lab out with me when he spotted a family of them crossing school park area.
Chit by the time i got to him not only did the bigger 2 spray him the 3 babies got him also he was so close you could see each spray liked i had paint sprayed him in those spots. Trying to bath him was insane lets just say he wasnt a happy puppy. The other 2 dogs took off from him and hid for their lives for fear of that dreaded bath tub. Almost 13 now he still is in high hunt for any critter that moves to play with or heard from raccoons to chipmunks he is right there heck ive even seen him heard grasshoppers if he could. I guess that live and learn rule doesnt apply to him. Even got himself nipped by a snapping turtle when he thought heck whats this lets sniff it out.

Almost 13 now he still is in high hunt for any critter that moves to play with or heard from raccoons to chipmunks he is right there heck ive even seen him heard grasshoppers if he could. I guess that live and learn rule doesnt apply to him. Even got himself nipped by a snapping turtle when he thought heck whats this lets sniff it out.

:lolup::lolup::lolup: I hear ya! Ruby was freaked out by a frog once:lolup::lolup:

Frogs are a dif story he gets his sweet butt right in that group only time i see him go in water. Im telling you he needs a shrink not just one a whole team of them LOL

The only thing I like is a good smelling skunk and that's it lol
As long as they are far a away from other animals
As we drive down the road I always roll down the windows if I smell a skunk.:lolup: It's a pure nature smell in the air.I know i'm weird.:lolup:
Thanks for the tip Mysticjoz

Expired Image

The only thing I like is a good smelling skunk and that's it lol
As long as they are far a away from other animals
As we drive down the road I always roll down the windows if I smell a skunk.:lolup: It's a pure nature smell in the air.I know i'm weird.:lolup:
Thanks for the tip Mysticjoz

Lol.. you are definately weird Bingo, the stench is still burning my nose.

The boys and I are on our way outside to give Ruby her bath. (I sent them to get the tomatoe juice and they came home with big cans of "tomatoe sauce! :lolup: I hope it works)

ps.. god that baby is cute..

Last edited:
Recipe for homemade de-skunk formula that works!

Lol.. you are definately weird Bingo, the stench is still burning my nose.

The boys and I are on our way outside to give Ruby her bath. (I sent them to get the tomatoe juice and they came home with big cans of "tomatoe sauce! :lolup: I hope it works)

ps.. god that baby is cute..

Wow... Bingo.! I so totally worded that wrong! It was not until I just popped on to Let you guys Know How I made out with Ruby. I re-read my last post and OMG I am such a moron! I was interupted by my son while I was writing it. It should have read...
that yes you are weird to enjoy the skunk smell, because the stench of this one that got Ruby is still burning my nose!
I was referring to the stench of the SKUNK... :lolup::lolup: I certainly hope you know me well enough. I sure feel stupid.

I tried the "Tomatoe sauce" the boys brought home by mistake instead of the "tomotoe juice" and NOPE .. besides it was about 95 degrees out here.. it was cooking to her fur and she was licking it off!! :eek:

Then I remembered when I was a Vet Tech the animal hospital I worked for had posted up at the frontdesk a "homemade de-skunk recipe"..
It is 2 pts. 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp liquid dish soap. you mix that up and have to soak the area. and yes it can discolor things (including pet hair..:lolup:)
The first two ingredients form an alkaline peroxide that chemically changes the skunk essence into sulfonic acid, an odorless chemical. The soap breaks down the oily skunk essence and makes it more susceptible to other chemicals. they say the chemicals in this formula are harmless. and of course you have to keep it out of their eyes.

THAT took ALMOST all of the smell out! :D I will have to re-apply to her muzzle because it really did get her right in the face.. BUT it works!

again.. sorry bingo that I didn't proof my previous post more carefully :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back