More crap for webmasters and anyone else in the business...

Article 13 puts more onus on websites to enforce copyright and could mean that every online platform that allows users to post text, sounds, code or images will need some form of content-recognition system to review all material that users upload.

Now that is some scary stuff... :mad::eek:

This 'censorship bill' or new Directive on Copyright was first proposed in 2016 and has been a mess since the very beginning. It's quite obvious that lots of people who will be voting over this in EU parliament have no idea what it's really about. It was same with the GDPR - European Commissioner for Digital Single Market is an ex-communist with soviet background and it makes me cringe when he talks about internet and digitalization in the public. I'm moving in couple of years, far far away.

Just reading a letter from juncker to mariya gabriel [Commissioner for the Digital Economy and Society] and some of it sounds good but in the end it will involve just more centralisation of power to unelected career civil servants.

extract:
"The Commission needs to look into the challenges the online platforms create for our democracies as regards the spreading of fake information and initiate a reflection on what would be needed at EU level to protect our citizens."

The democracies are a shadow of their former selves, they have to do what the EU tells them to do. And who's pulling juncker's strings, you can't tell me he thinks up all these things and the direction europe is heading in all by himself, who did his job interview that's what I would like to know and who decides when juncker gets a p45.

listen to this waffle

"Working with the First Vice-President, in charge of Better Regulation, Inter-Institutional Relations, the Rule of Law and the Charter of Fundamental Rights, the Vice-President for the Digital Single Market and the Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality in developing legislative and nonlegislative initiatives to allow the non-personal data economy to thrive"

Reading this and you just know all of their publications are full to brimming with this type of technocratic legalistic BS, which is probably why Trump mistrusts all of these globalist institutions, he knows you only use this convoluted language if you're basically up to no good.

Last edited:
Hi GrandMaster,
with little help from Google I think I can.
This is European Commissioner for Digital Single Market -
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

From that same Wikipedia page: "He was an Instructor in the Industry Department and Head of the Organisational Department of the Tartu District Committee of the
from 1986 to 1988."
He has studied chemistry, went to Russian army (Estonia was part of Russia til 1991). I don't believe he has red agenda, but people with his background / upbringing / education should be kept away from subjects like internet, freedom, digitalization.

So currently I am unable to access any US online newspapers. This bill could kill Wikipedia, You Tube in Europe. These autocrats in Brussels are mad.

So currently I am unable to access any US online newspapers. This bill could kill Wikipedia, You Tube in Europe. These autocrats in Brussels are mad.

Yes, there's always a workaround and we can use proxies/VPN's in the future... just like they do in countries like China, Kuwait, North Korea. Orwell's nightmare vision and full censorship might be not here yet, but it's important to understand that it's a gradual process and it's all getting tighter and tighter for us, not the other way.

Last edited:
wikipedia is dodgy on political issues, very neocon orientated. But for factual info, its very useful.

Just a thought :rolleyes: but I wonder if the end result of these changes will be some sort of internet access tax a bit like the tv licence fee, and then whatever site you go on with copyrighted articles/content the site gets a cut of the tax.

When I go on wikipedia or the guardian newspaper [very rare I might add, I'm definitely not a guardianista] a banner often pops up asking for donations, plus other sites have their newspapers behind a paywall but it doesn't work they are losing readership and influence, and the billionaire owners don't want to carry on subsidising the business to the extent they currently are.

Last edited:
Yes! I was getting worried there.

MEPs have voted to reject a controversial copyright law in its current form, deciding to return to the issue in September.

The law would have put a greater responsibility on individual websites to check for copyright infringements.

I think there are pretty big freedom of speech implications to this, imagine I wanted to upload a segment of a tv news broadcast onto youtube and then deconstruct the narrative to expose propaganda, new copyright laws coming into place probably prevent this. I think the commercial aspect of protecting copyright holders in areas like music and film is all well and dandy but it may not be the only purpose of these new laws.

Seeing some clips today regarding the EU and hungary it's clear this monolithic organisation needs to be reformed itself and cut down to size. I'll wager Brexit won't save the UK from these new copyright laws either, what a charade and stitch up leaving the EU has turned out to be, it seem that once you join this union you can't really ever leave :mad:

Col are you in approval or could this directive have been better thought out? Is there an implementation period I wonder?

Could have been better thought out?

This question was raised in EU court before the vote:

"How will startups be able to afford developing and maintaining algorithms that complies with the new rules"

And the answer was:

"What is an algorithm?"

The people in charge over at the EU are braindead idiots who are voting in favor of things they don't understand.

This vote went through despite strong opposition from us commoners. I am going to make my vote count in May. It's clear that the EU has become autocratic and for big corporations and don't care about the people at large. I think they knew well what they were doing. They want to shut down alternative media so only their narratives get told. These autocrats are evil in my personal opinion.

If you didn't have an EU the big corporations pushing for this law change would have had to lobby each individual country's parliament and get the copyright law passed through, without amendment.

So the EU makes it far easier for an oligarchy to rule Europe, you've only got to win one vote and there are ways you can do this, pressure, blackmail, bribe etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back