Life in outback Australia

davey

Dormant account
Back in the 1940s in outback Australia Mum and Dad married. Not that unusual you might say except they were polar opposites. Mum was a legal secretary in Sydney and studied opera in her spare time.

Dad was born and bred on a sheep farm that was 50 miles from the nearest town with running water.
Naturally the change from city living to an arid wasteland was difficult for the city girl.

One hot and dusty day Mum was home alone. Suddenly a deadly brown snake slithered it's way up through a hole in the kitchen floor and was heading toward the frightened newly-wed. Grabbing the small axe that was by the fireplace she immediately started chopping and chopping at the ferocious reptile. By the time it had stopped moving she had cut it into several 6 inch pieces.

When dad arrived home Mum had her bags packed for the city. It took some smooth talking from the country lad but he convinced her to stay, where she magaged to raise 7 strapping kids.

Duststorms, drought and flies along with the near death experiences of most of the siblings were part of her life for 40 years. I have noted many of these challenging times down on paper and would be happy to share some with the formum if there was any interest.

After reading them, as humerous as they are you may agree with me that having Mum marry a Doctor just down from the Opera House was probably a safer bet. Little wonder I'm a gambler!

You should write a screenplay and sell it to Hollywood! There are lots of handsome Aussies to play dad - mom could be....maybe Cate Blanchett? I could totally see her chopping up that snake. We'll be rich!

(notice I did say WE, since after all, it was MY idea...) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back