How long to be placed into DMOZ

brucefinaldi

Dormant account
Hey Guys,

First I would like to say - Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Season's Greetings.

I am trying to get listed into DMOZ, and to be honest, I am so cinfused as to whether I have been placed there and how long it takes to get placed.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Finaldi

Hi Bruce,

Merry Christmas Mate. Hope you have an enjoyable day with family and friends.

Dmoz its still a bit of a hit and miss.
It come down to the whether the directory you submitted to has an editor.

You can check this at the footer here is a screen cap example:

First image shows the directory looking for an editor, the last shows the editor as webzcas (couldn't possibly be our moderator Dave could it?)

Cheers

:)

Dave

Hey Guys,

First I would like to say - Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Season's Greetings.

I am trying to get listed into DMOZ, and to be honest, I am so cinfused as to whether I have been placed there and how long it takes to get placed.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Finaldi

Submit your site to the most suitable category, regardless whether there is a listed editor or not. Editors who have permissions in the parent cats are also able to edit in these areas. There are also over 200 editors who can edit anywhere in DMOZ.

Site suggestions will get reviewed by a volunteer editor, when this will be, no one can tell. If a site is listable it will then get listed after being reviewed.

The best strategy is to submit your site, then move on.

Do not however submit multiple sites to one particular area of DMOZ. if you run several gambling portals, only submit your main site. DMOZ Guidelines only permit one site owned by a webmaster/company to be listed in a branch. Multiple site listings are not allowed.

Submit your site to the most suitable category, regardless whether there is a listed editor or not. Editors who have permissions in the parent cats are also able to edit in these areas. There are also over 200 editors who can edit anywhere in DMOZ.

Dmoz has a really bad history of some editors being self serving and egotistical. EG they're on power trips.

In addition there were rumors of some editors accepting bribes.

Editors may have access and be able to approved sites in sub cats but do they? From my experience with dmoz (which dates back years) most couldn't be bothered.

I supposes that's why the kibosh got put on the dmoz forum. Granted not all dmoz editors are A holes. But those that were running that forum came across as little Hitler's...

I sure hope since it looks like the cogs have started moving again at dmoz the previous regime doesn't take hold again. But like everything time will tell I suppose.

Cheers

:)

Dave

Submitting sites to the wrong category is counter productive as an editor has to then move the site to the suitable category for review - thus taking up resources. It certainly does not speed up the process of a site being reviewed. Hence my advice to submit your site to the most suitable and relevant category is the correct advice to follow.

In addition there were rumors of some editors accepting bribes.

Dmoz treats all allegations of editor abuse very seriously and any such reports are processed and examined as high priority.

If you have any such information other than rumours, please submit your abuse report with as much detail as possible to: Link Removed ( Old/Invalid)

Editors may have access and be able to approved sites in sub cats but do they?.

Yes they do, all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back