Germany vs Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a good indication that Germany is going all the way to the final game.

The next match should be a nail-biter I believe.

Yep when I first watched them play against Australia and saw those first two goals (best goals I ever seen in my life).

They are by far the best defensive team out there and I really think they will walk the floor with Spain..

The vibe out on the streets around that magnificent Cape Town Stadium was amazing as the game neared its end; we took a stroll along the 2.5 kilometre Fan Walk leading up to the stadium and it was a sea of noisy humanity wearing red,gold and black, with every pub and restaurant along the way packed to capacity by mainly German fans - they really descended on Cape Town in droves and were having a ball.

I think we were pretty near the stadium when the fourth goal went into the Argentinian net - the roar from the stadium was drowned by the eruption of cheering, whistling and vuvuzela-blowing out on the streets - the atmosphere was absolutely electric, and the German supporters looked set to party long into the night.

This is a good team - I'm sure they're going to end up playing for the title against the Spaniards, who looked as if they were battling a bit against the Paraguayans and only managed a single goal in the dying moments of the game.

They (Spain and Germany) meet in the semis and it's gonna be a crackerjack as Spain has the best individual midfielders whereas Germany has the best team of centre-forwards. Whoever wins should meet the Netherlands who should easily dispose of Uruguay. Strange that just a week ago it seemed certain that the WC will land in South America. Now it seems it will be Europe.

Watching the 2010 World Cup has been a lot of fun despite the fact I just jumped on the bandwagon of a sport that I am very limited in knowledge!!

Watching the 2010 World Cup has been a lot of fun despite the fact I just jumped on the bandwagon of a sport that I am very limited in knowledge!!

what a pity that you will never see 1982 WC...the current one is sooo boring...

They (Spain and Germany) meet in the semis and it's gonna be a crackerjack as Spain has the best individual midfielders whereas Germany has the best team of centre-forwards. Whoever wins should meet the Netherlands who should easily dispose of Uruguay. Strange that just a week ago it seemed certain that the WC will land in South America. Now it seems it will be Europe.

I thought Schweinsteiger in particular played an unselfish and professional game Saturday, although Mueller and Klose bagged most of the goals. It is sad that Mueller will not be able to play in the next game due to his yellow carding, but it appears to me that this young, fit team has depth as well as discipline and a coordinated approach, and I think they will continue to do well.

Football and many other ball games are moving to a direction where having universal players in the team - who are good or at least fair both in defense and in attack - are getting more and more important. You can not any more afford to have players who are 100% in defense and 20% in offense or vica versa, you better have a lot of 60%-60% players.
The GER-ARG game was a clear example for that. IMHO individually none of the German players would score more than 80% on an absolute theoretical scale of football skills, but they ran an incredible amount and left practically no place for ARG to play.
Khedira took off Messi, (while Mascherano took off Özil for the sake of completeness), and Messi, Tevez and Higuain could not do a thing between 6-7 german players and helped nothing in the defense during the whole game, Di Maria and Rodriguez would have needed more help from Demichelis, (Lahm played a lot better than Demichelis).
Schweinsteiger, Müller and Podolski are way more universal players than Di Maria, Rodriguez or Messi.
I have to add though that GER were pretty much on the positive side of the variance on Saturday :) I mean Podolski did not show anything special during the whole WC so far, Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Müller are good players, but both played at the very edge of their abilities on Saturday, while Özil was weak on the last few games and there are at least 50 better forwards on the world than Klose, but he happens to play in the German team. Also preparational and tactical difference between the coaches were cruical. Maradone brought Palermo while left out two of the world's best defensive players, etc.
BTW. I watched the game in Germany on Saturday and you can not imagine how Germans stood out as a nation for their team before, during and after the game. Congrats to Germany and their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back