FBI Warning

But it's not paranoia. The Gov't is clearly abusing their powers - and trying to say that the Patriot act gives them the right to be "above the law".

Yep, and it's just enough to make you totally paranoid :D

Better draw the curtains, don't answer the telephone...

In at least two cases cited by the newspaper, the investigators found that the FBI obtained full credit reports whereas the security letters could only be used to obtain summary information.

In other cases, telephone companies, banks or Internet providers responded with detailed personal information about customers that the letters do not permit to be released, the article said.

That's from the AP article I posted in the 'Gov monitoring email' thread.

And from the recently updated AP article...

"The report indicates abuse of the authority" Congress gave the FBI, said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), D-Vt. "You cannot have people act as free agents on something where they're going to be delving into your privacy."

The committee's top Republican, Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), said the FBI appears to have "badly misused national security letters." The senator said, "This is, regrettably, part of an ongoing process where the federal authorities are not really sensitive to privacy and go far beyond what we have authorized."

Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., another member on the panel that oversees the FBI, said the report "proves that 'trust us' doesn't cut it."

The American Civil Liberties Union said the audit proves Congress must amend the Patriot Act to require judicial approval anytime the FBI wants access to sensitive personal information. "The Attorney General and the FBI are part of the problem and they cannot be trusted to be part of the solution," said Anthony D. Romero, the ACLU's executive director.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. ;)

Better draw the curtains, don't answer the telephone...

I'm with you winbig, but I'm hiding behind my computer screen while playing slots illegally, holding a hand full of cards and hoping that smoking in MY home isn't illegal yet. I need the smoke screen to keep my identity secret....lol

Boy, the USA sure has made us criminals...........lmao
:D

I'm with you winbig, but I'm hiding behind my computer screen while playing slots illegally, holding a hand full of cards and hoping that smoking in MY home isn't illegal yet. I need the smoke screen to keep my identity secret....lol

Actually in some cities it is illegal to smoke ANYWHERE in the city, besides your "detached, single-family home".

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I think pretty soon, the whole city will be "smoke free".

PS: This is a city in California...go figure.

snippet:

In Belmont, it is already illegal to smoke in hallways and other common areas in apartment buildings and similar multi-unit housing complexes. But next month the Belmont City Council is expected to go even further by approving the nation’s most restrictive anti-smoking policy. It will soon be illegal to smoke anywhere in Belmont except in your detached, single-family home.

You won’t be able smoke outside. You won’t be able to smoke in your car or in your apartment. If you can come up with the $900,000 median price, you can buy a stand-alone house and smoke there — at least for now. This final refuge for smokers is surely the next target of the prohibitionist regulators.

"The average American can take away the fact that you have FBI officers who felt that they were above the law..."
The above is a direct quote from a standing US Senator. Ya, I guess it's just frickin silly to be worried. Only a real moron would be worried about something like that.

I guess I have to wonder just how stupid or insane someone would have to be to believe that anyone in the US Government would ever abuse their power.

I you lived in my state and had kids, it would be illegal to smoke in your house if they were in it while smoking. So, all of the above is illegal in Wa.

is big brother watching now

:eek: am i afraid ? not!!!!!!! DANG DIDNT KNOW YOU CANT SMOKE IN YOUR OWN HOUSE IF YOU HAVE KIDS IN THE HOUSE IN WASH. STATE. HUH ID BE UNDER THE JAIL CELL:eek2: whats the aclu say on that one im wondering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back