Dogs sense health related problems, My "Ruby" just saved my dad's life!!

mysticjoz

My father is also disabled, he has the bad back, etc. but he also has sleep apnea, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and he is a diabetic.
He is on oxygen 24/7 and a machine also helps breath for him if he stops breathing in the middle of the night. (that is sleep apnea,,, they stop breathing :eek:) BUT.. he was coming out of the bathroom, which is located between our 3 bedrooms (mine, mom's and dad's.. because of the machines she sleeps in her own room.) My mom was there to help him when all of a sudden she yelled for me to help. I looked up and his knees were buckling and she was straining to keep him from hitting the floor!
It is AMAZING how quickly adrenaline is produced by the body and processed!! I made my way over with the use of my cane and instinct was to grab under his right arm to "help hold him up".. OMG,,, he is not a lightweight, but at the time it was a matter of keeping him from going down! My younger son grabbed my wheelchair and we managed to get him to sit down.. from there we got him back into bed ..This whole time my dog Ruby was pacing around and nudging me, she never leaves my side and even sleeps in bed with me.
As soon as we got dad into bed.. he said all he wanted was to go to sleep. He was white as a ghost and out of the blue "Ruby" jumped into bed with him! She made herself "comfy" with her paws across his legs and rested her muzzle on top of her paws.. and she looked up at me with a really sad look. My heart sank! Being a former Veterinary Technician I knew that dogs could sense changes in human enzymes, proteins, etc. They have been known to predict seizures and heart attacks. At first my mom said "ruby, no down" but ruby laid herself right down there and looked up at my mom as if to say "I am not moving".. I told my mom it was ok.. and explained what dogs can sense to her.
She called the doctor and he told us to take dads blood sugar and it was 41 :eek:!! We started pumping sugar into him as the doctor recommended "orange juice and add sugar.. retest every 1/2 hour but DO NOT LET HIM SLEEP AS HE WILL SLIP INTO A COMA!!"
As we were doing this I would call Ruby to "go out" But she was NOT going to leave his side for anything!
We finally managed to get his blood sugar up to 91 .. his color came back and so did his spirits... somewhat.
And that is when Ruby decided it was ok for her to come outside with me to have a smoke and after that she was right back to sticking by my side again.
(Needless to say I can barely move now just from those few seconds of helping balance his weight while the wheel chair came. At the time adrenaline had taken over, so of course there was no pain then!)

Please always pay attention to your pets moods and actions. No one knows your dog better than you... I knew it was serious because Ruby never, ever leaves my side! Plus she has NEVER hopped into my dads bed with him!

So again.. today I am so grateful! I am grateful that I paid attention to the signals Ruby was giving me/us. More so.. I am grateful that I have such an awesome dog!! and I thought she was great cuz she picks up what I drop and helps clean up things off the floor so I don't have to bend over!
But today she proved herself to everyone, especially my mom. I couldn't be prouder of her, She truly saved my dad's life today! :notworthy

Last edited:
Awesome story, mysticjoz! And I'm very glad that now all is OK with your Dad...
Your dog is amazing! Rename it to "lifesaver" :)

I'm so happy to hear that your dad is doing well now, I always pay attention to my dogs cause I know they have that instinct, I really think they are an amazing animal and I wouldn't be without a dog:)

That's a great story and it would be lovely to hear more like it:thumbsup:

Cat

That's awesome MJ, glad your dad is ok. Animals are amazing...I remember watching one time this woman who had a dog, the dog suddenly started acting weird - every time the dog was around her it would stick its muzzle under her arm. So she decided there must be something there but couldn't feel anything so went to the doc and they found a small cancerous lump, she had it removed and she's fine. But the dog sensed it before there was any visible sign, I think that's very cool.

My dog only checks for testicular cancer :D he's constantly sticking his nose in someone's crotch.

Wow, what a great story. I truly believe that dogs have this ability. My dogs always sense when I am sick. I had bladder cancer a couple of years ago and didn't notice until afterwards that my dog Molly, was sniffing me allot around my stomach area. Now I know that she knew I was sick before I did. Even when I get a cold or sinus infection she sniffs my mouth allot. Dogs truly are your best friend and they can save your life..:)

This must be one of the most amazing dogs:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

That's right I heard this the other day! This dog was trained to dial 911 :eek: I've trained many dogs.. but you have to be really patient to teach one to dial a phone!!:laugh::laugh:
My dog only checks for testicular cancer he's constantly sticking his nose in someone's crotch.

:lolup::lolup: this is too funny chayton!!

Thanks everyone:smilewink: and I agree it would be great to see more stories like that. :Angel:

Glad to hear your dads doing better, I hope you feel better soon too..
I agree with missmichelle, Ruby deserves a steak :)
I was also reading about a woman who had a cat, the cat started sniffing between her legs, she said her cat never did that before, she heard on tv that animals can sense when someone is sick so she made a obgyn appointment, here the woman had cervical cancer..I always heard dogs can sense sickness, but never a cat..

LOL.. you guys are so cute! Ruby indeed earned herself some serious treats! In addition to her favorite "Meaty Bones".. She got her ultimate favorite treat.. Carrots! Yes,, believe it or not her favorite treats are carrots!!:laugh: :laugh:

If you say her name and carrot in the same sentence she goes bezerk!:laugh: (In all my years as a tech I had seen dogs that liked apples, but never :oops: carrots! :nod: ) But she did earn them. She is now the "heroine" around the house today! :D thank you all for your well wishes and thinking of my dad! :) (and me luigi! ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back