Country Music - Help wanted.

ladyhawke

On a Break
I love most types of music - classical, R&B, jazz fusion, pop, hip hop, rap, etc.

But I just can't get my head around country music. Rhyming divorce with horse just doesn't cut it for me.

However, next year, we are heading to Tamworth for the country music festival, so I need to find out more about the genre, otherwise I will be in the pub, drowning my sorrows, as I ponder on the universal question: What was I thinking!

Can anyone recommend some artists I could listen to, to get a feel for the music, as I am totally clueless.

Just to add: even though I don't like country music (what I have heard so far), I will amend that slightly, as "Sunday morning coming down' by Johnny Cash is one of my favourite songs of all time.

So perhaps there may be hope for a marriage between me and country music after all.

I love most types of music - classical, R&B, jazz fusion, pop, hip hop, rap, etc.

But I just can't get my head around country music. Rhyming divorce with horse just doesn't cut it for me.

However, next year, we are heading to Tamworth for the country music festival, so I need to find out more about the genre, otherwise I will be in the pub, drowning my sorrows, as I ponder on the universal question: What was I thinking!

Can anyone recommend some artists I could listen to, to get a feel for the music, as I am totally clueless.

Just to add: even though I don't like country music (what I have heard so far), I will amend that slightly, as "Sunday morning coming down' by Johnny Cash is one of my favourite songs of all time.

So perhaps there may be hope for a marriage between me and country music after all.
I am no Country music fan. But a mate of mine stuck some Country music on after he divorced but he played the track backwards and found he got his wife back,his kids,the car,his house,his dog and his horse back!

The only Country artist that I choose to listen too is Johnny Cash. In today's World is lyrics would be considered very none pc but I still love his stuff regardless :)

If you have Freeview there is Country Music tv somewhere around the 60s channel numbers
Not in the UK, I'm afraid, although there are country music channels available over here.

However, I would like a starting point, hence the request for names. Just listening to a country music station in the hope that there might be gold among the dross would rob me of the will to live, I'm afraid.

Just watched Hell or High Water - loved the film, and as for the soundtrack, absolutely blown away. Quite simply outstanding, particularly Dollar Bill Blues and Outlaw State of Mind (although I have read the latter is blues-based country, and I love the Blues). So Country and I could perhaps have a relationship after all. Never could really get into Nick Cave either (in his Bad Seeds days), but again, might just have to revisit that opinion as well.

Harry, I did try google, but became disillusioned with a lot of the dirge that was the country music I dislike immensely.

Not a fan of some of the above, but will try looking - and listening - again.

Thanks very much for the list.

Harry, I did try google, but became disillusioned with a lot of the dirge that was the country music I dislike immensely.

Not a fan of some of the above, but will try looking - and listening - again.

Thanks very much for the list.

Yeah, not all is really music to our ears. :)

Funny thing is that I googled about country music just a few days ago when I wrote a resume about a singer for StubHub. Try Elle King or Dierks Bentley, I quite liked some of their tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back