Car Rental

miso

Meister Member
MM
Folks, is there any other way to rent a car without credit card?

We want to go on a holiday, thinking either Krakow or Berlin. Have been living credit free for the past few years, all we have is Visa debit.
I tried to call Hertz but got tired of listening to elevator music for 15 minutes.

Its pretty hard for us to tell you because we all live in different corners of the world and each country, state, province probably has their own set of rules.

It sounds like you are just going to have listen to the crappy music and speak to people. Im sure you can find one. They will want a cash deposit of course and maybe payment up front or partial. Plus I read that some places will accept you if you have the visa or mastercard logo on your debit card

We want to go on a holiday, thinking either Krakow or Berlin.

I would recommend Berlin, beautiful city with a lot to see and do. I lived there for 3 years so I have German friends living there, If you choose Berlin, let me know and I will ask them the best way to go :)

Its pretty hard for us to tell you because we all live in different corners of the world and each country, state, province probably has their own set of rules.

It sounds like you are just going to have listen to the crappy music and speak to people. Im sure you can find one. They will want a cash deposit of course and maybe payment up front or partial. Plus I read that some places will accept you if you have the visa or mastercard logo on your debit card

I found Europcar accept some sort of travel voucher as a deposit. I'll try to ring them again today, worst case scenario we show up at airport kiosk with cash begging for a car :D

I would recommend Berlin, beautiful city with a lot to see and do. I lived there for 3 years so I have German friends living there, If you choose Berlin, let me know and I will ask them the best way to go :)

So I heard, definitely next city break will be there. We have decided on Krakow this time, great deal on flights. 300 pounds for the 5 of us, return from Belfast :thumbsup:

May I suggest a virtual (or physical) pre-paid Visa or Mastercard. These are often treated as credit cards by merchants, but funds must be on the card. Instead of a cash deposit, they will do a pre-authorization for a certain amount same as a regular credit card. When the car is returned, the pre-authorization will either be cancelled, or drop off after not being picked up after a certain number of days. It's essentially a cash deposit, but means that kiosk clerks don't have drawers full of thousands of dollars in cash deposits received or to return.

Not every car rental agency will accept them either.

I don't know how far away your holiday is. But if you already have an online wallet, it's quite possible you can get a physical card within a couple of weeks, or a virtual card within days. And since most car rental companies accept online bookings and payments, you should be able to attempt to book online. Your payment method will be declined if they do not accept such.

Your own bank may well offer a low-cost pre-paid "credit card", although expect that to take a few weeks, as it will be a physical card. And may or may not be accepted.

You can also spend a lot of time contacting car rental companies in advance to ask. While it is most convenient to get one at an airport kiosk, you will only get a handful of the companies renting in any given city. Often smaller players are more accommodating, but it might mean a pick-up from your hotel next day to go rent.

May I suggest a virtual (or physical) pre-paid Visa or Mastercard. These are often treated as credit cards by merchants, but funds must be on the card. Instead of a cash deposit, they will do a pre-authorization for a certain amount same as a regular credit card. When the car is returned, the pre-authorization will either be cancelled, or drop off after not being picked up after a certain number of days. It's essentially a cash deposit, but means that kiosk clerks don't have drawers full of thousands of dollars in cash deposits received or to return.

Not every car rental agency will accept them either.

I don't know how far away your holiday is. But if you already have an online wallet, it's quite possible you can get a physical card within a couple of weeks, or a virtual card within days. And since most car rental companies accept online bookings and payments, you should be able to attempt to book online. Your payment method will be declined if they do not accept such.

Your own bank may well offer a low-cost pre-paid "credit card", although expect that to take a few weeks, as it will be a physical card. And may or may not be accepted.

You can also spend a lot of time contacting car rental companies in advance to ask. While it is most convenient to get one at an airport kiosk, you will only get a handful of the companies renting in any given city. Often smaller players are more accommodating, but it might mean a pick-up from your hotel next day to go rent.

Thanks for the advice Jazzy :thumbsup: I was thinking about getting a card from my bank and then cancelling it after holidays, but we're leaving in 11 days so I'd better not chance it. Plus one friend recommended a company called Indigo Rental that is accepting debit cards, but is much dearer for it. Still worth a try, I'll give them a ring today, hopefully they have some spare Yaris for me in Krakow.

Last edited:
Sorry, kind of missed where you had decided on Krakow. May I suggest asking on the forums at Trip Advisor? You need an account (free), and on the very top of the page, where you see ... (dot dot dot), that's an expandable menu. Pick travel forums, then europe, poland, krakow. Almost every city has one or two residents offering helpful advice, as well as fellow tourists. Also offers a search function, bet you are not the first visitor with that question.

We want to go on a holiday, thinking either Krakow or Berlin. Have been living credit free for the past few years, all we have is Visa debit.
I tried to call Hertz but got tired of listening to elevator music for 15 minutes.

I used to hire cars virtually every week for work in the early 2000's. The bookings were made by a travel agency (invoicing to the company) and they would issue a full credit voucher. Never ever had to show a credit card, even when the car was a Merc or BMW. The rentals were across the big 3 - Hertz, Europcar and Avis.

Don't know if that is still possible, but it worked really well back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back