best buy

kauphy

Meister Member
BEST BUY

If you purchase something from Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. and you return the item with the receipt, they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car:
a Tom Tom XL.S from 'Best Buy'.
They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt. I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it couldn't find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I asked how much would that be. She said, "It goes by the price of the item. It will be $45 for you".
I said, "All you're going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf - then charge me $45 of my money for restocking?" She said, "That's the store policy".
I said that if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300 restock fee? She said, "Yes. 15%".
I said, "OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee".
She said that since the item is over $200 dollars, she can't give me my money back! Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.! I said, "WHAT!! It's my money! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand..
Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days".

She said, "Well, our policy is on the back of your receipt". I asked her if she read the front or back of her receipt? She said. "Well, the front!" I said, "So do I. I want to talk to the Manager!"

So the manager comes over; I explained everything to him, and he said, "Well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item". I said that no one has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee when I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program.
He said, "Well, I can give you corporate phone number". I called corporate. The guy said, "Well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy".

You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again!
I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads-up on the store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats. So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy.

It's true! Read it for yourself!!

Best Buys return policy

i got this in an e-mail but did look it up and yes it is ture for choosen things. like g.p.s computer and things like that.

but i think they went to far doing the 15% restock fee.

i guess in todays world its all about money

kauphy:It's true! Read it for yourself!!

Best Buys return policy
It is true and I never purchased another thing from them again. It has been 3 years since I returned a laptop within 24 hours and the cost was around $1900. I can definitely say, the restocking fee was outrageous. I took my refund less the restocking fee, and never went back...this was about 3 years ago. So be careful when you shop there.

I hate our local Best Buy. Bought a DVD player a couple of years ago and the salesguy acted like Armageddon and plague and gingivitis would visit me, my children, and my children's children if I didn't buy the extended warranty.
The restock bull does not surprise me in the least.

Same here !!! They have been screwing people for years.. Won't shop there.. Oh and good luck with the check about 6 years ago I returned a computer that didn't work They said check in mail within 7 to 10 days after call upon call check came a month and a half later. I learned my lesson well. But yet circuit city which had a great return policy goes bankrupt. Go figure.

WOW.
I have returned stuff to Best Buy and never had a problem whatsoever.
Is this a new policy? Or maybe it is just for big ticket items?
Usually my returns have just been DVD's or video/computer games.
In fact last year we bought a bluray by accident, opened it, tried to play it in the DVD player (I know, DUH) and then returned it just like that.
Had no problems exchanging for a DVD instead.

Guess I have just been lucky so far.
(Kauph mentioned Walmart, that is one place on my blacklist, not a fan of that company).

btw- here is the policy from their website in it's entirety-
Maybe I never had issues because I am a reward zone member?

Best Buy Store Exchange and Return Policy

We understand that exchanging and returning products is often a frustrating experience, but Best Buy strives to make the process a simple and straightforward one. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, we will gladly help you to exchange or return your product, when it falls within the guidelines below.

To exchange or return an item purchased in one of our stores, please bring the item to any Best Buy store and our customer service representatives will be happy to help you. In order to process the exchange or return, please follow the guidelines outlined below.

Exchange and Return Guidelines

Exchange and Return Period
Exchange or return your item anytime from the original purchase date within the timeframe below:
14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, and radar detectors
30 days for all other products
45 days for all products for Reward Zone Program Premier Silver members

Non-returnable items
Some items are not able to be returned, including:
Labor, delivery, and/or installation services
Pre-paid cards such as music, photo, video, or phone cards
Digital content (e.g. music downloads from Napster)
Pitch In™ Card contributions
Consumable items such as food, drink and batteries
Items that are damaged or abused
Items that are missing accessories, such as remote controls, cords, and cables
Etched or otherwise personalized items
Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund

Original receipt
To help facilitate the return, bring the original receipt as well as photo identification for all exchanges, returns, price matches and warranty repair services.

Restocking fee
A restocking fee is applicable in some product categories, unless you are a Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member, the item is defective, or the fee is prohibited by law. The restocking fee charges are:
25% for Special Order Products, including appliances
15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems
10% for Apple® iPhones

Promotional items and bundles
As a benefit to our customers, Best Buy occasionally offers promotional items and savings with a purchase or enhanced savings on a bundle of items when they are purchased together.
When a promotional item is returned, the value of the promotional item is deducted from the refund amount. For instance, if you purchase a TV and get a $100 gift card or 50% off of a DVD player, the $100 value of the gift card or the total value of the DVD player would be subtracted from the refund.
When an item included as part of a promotional bundle is returned, the bundled discount is void and the value of the bundled discount will be applied to the refund. This occasionally results in additional funds being owed to Best Buy. For instance, if your receive $200 in savings when you purchase a laptop and printer together and you return either item, the $200 amount will be subtracted from your refund.

Refund method
Your refund will generally be in the same form as the original purchase. However when the item was purchased with cash, debit or a check in an amount greater than $250, the refund will be in the form of a mail check mailed within 10 business days of the return.

Mail in rebates
When a product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on the item, the amount of the rebate may be deducted from the refund amount.

Country of origin
The item must be exchanged or returned in the country in which it was originally purchased.

To protect your personal data
Please remove all personal data (e.g. computer or wireless phone data) from any exchanged or returned products. Best Buy is not responsible for any personal data left on or in an exchanged or returned product.

Best Buy discretion
Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.
Some tests may use a different set of policies. When a different policy is in effect, you will be informed of those differences prior to purchase.

To return special delivery items, Performance Service Plans, or Black Tie Protection
To exchange or return items that were delivered, such as major appliances, TVs, furniture and included accessories, please call 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).

To return or cancel your Best Buy Performance Service Plan or Black Tie Protection plan, please call 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).

For purchases made at www.bestbuy.com or Best Buy for Business, please reference the details below BestBuy.com
Policies of www.BestBuy.com may vary from our in-store policies. Please see the Best Buy.com Return Policy.

Best Buy for Business
Unfortunately, exchanges and returns of BBFB product purchased through our in-store kiosk, catalog, or via www.BestBuyForBusiness.com cannot be processed at stores at this time. A return authorization can be obtained by calling 1-800-373-3050. Open items returns are not accepted. For full details, see the in-store kiosk, catalog, or www.BestBuyForBusiness.com.

Thank you for choosing to purchase your technology products and services at Best Buy.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

One more thing, lol.

It seems like the restock fee only applies to things that need to be reprogrammed. While it does BITE, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.
They are charging for the labor time needed to do this.
I don't like it either, but that's the way it is nowadays :rolleyes:

BEST BUY

If you purchase something from Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. and you return the item with the receipt, they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car:
a Tom Tom XL.S from 'Best Buy'.
They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt. I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it couldn't find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I asked how much would that be. She said, "It goes by the price of the item. It will be $45 for you".
I said, "All you're going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf - then charge me $45 of my money for restocking?" She said, "That's the store policy".
I said that if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300 restock fee? She said, "Yes. 15%".
I said, "OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee".
She said that since the item is over $200 dollars, she can't give me my money back! Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.! I said, "WHAT!! It's my money! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand..
Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days".

She said, "Well, our policy is on the back of your receipt". I asked her if she read the front or back of her receipt? She said. "Well, the front!" I said, "So do I. I want to talk to the Manager!"

So the manager comes over; I explained everything to him, and he said, "Well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item". I said that no one has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee when I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program.
He said, "Well, I can give you corporate phone number". I called corporate. The guy said, "Well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy".

You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again!
I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads-up on the store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats. So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy.

It's true! Read it for yourself!!

Best Buys return policy

i got this in an e-mail but did look it up and yes it is ture for choosen things. like g.p.s computer and things like that.

but i think they went to far doing the 15% restock fee.

i guess in todays world its all about money

Instead of emailing nyour friends , go on facebook or twitter. Inform the company first to see if you ca intimidate him

WOW.
I have returned stuff to Best Buy and never had a problem whatsoever.
Is this a new policy? Or maybe it is just for big ticket items?
Usually my returns have just been DVD's or video/computer games.
In fact last year we bought a bluray by accident, opened it, tried to play it in the DVD player (I know, DUH) and then returned it just like that.
Had no problems exchanging for a DVD instead.

Guess I have just been lucky so far.
(Kauph mentioned Walmart, that is one place on my blacklist, not a fan of that company).

yes i see where you see wal-mart but i got the e-mail i did not wright it.

and i,m not a big fan of wal-mart eather but do shop there as we only have them and k-mart.

sorrie all you guys got burned by them.

i have only had to buy a few things there i,m so glad i did not have to take anything back.

that is really one thing that they need to change or at least tell everyone who buys things there that is their policy and make sure the person understand that they could lose a good deal of their money if they have to return something.

i know if they did that they would lose money caz people would put things back but i still think they should do something about it.

how many people read the back of a receipt.

I guess the problem here might be how many of us read the big Return Policy sign in the Return Dept of the store. If you're reading it off the receipt it's too late I would imagine.:rolleyes: I vaguely remember seeing something about a re-stock fee if I returned my pc at the checkout stand when I bought my new computer and it is on the receipt front. I just figured if it worked I was keepin it no problem. And I did. :)

So yes kauphy I agree it better be posted on the item or at checkout to be read before I buy it not afterward on the receipt.

You are approaching it from the wrong angle. You need to check your local law, but chances are that you only have a legal right to return the goods for a refund under very limited circumstances, e.g., the goods are defective or not as described. Anything beyond that is up to the retailer. (Some scummy ones will try to deny you even the rights you have.) If you don't see a big poster advertising the retailer's return policy, assume that you don't have a right to return the goods except in the circumstances specified by law.

To kind of play devil's advocate here ( and no, I have never shopped at Best Buy)...

But this may be a way for the store to insure people do not buy an item, use it, and then return it for whatever reason. We had a minor issue with Sam's Club a while back. It was getting time for the Super Bowl and people were buying big screen tvs to watch the game on and then returning them. Sam's Club policy is to accept the returned item no questions asked and to submit a refund via transaction (credit card, cash,etc.). I believe they have a 10 day wait on returns though and this may have changed since then. But you get the gist?

The only time I think this should not be warranted is when the buyer actually WANTS the item and it is damaged or doesn't work properly, asking for a replacement product.

Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back