Bank Accounts (UK) and Online Gambling

NatWest froze a couple of my friends accounts due to the fact they were depositing too much cash in them.

When ever they went in any branch to try and discuss the matters all the staff would do is hand them a letter and say they were unable to discuss the matter further with them. Same answer was given when they tried to contact online banking.

However they were both allowed to withdraw money up to I think £200 a day from the cash machine.

Eventually after a short while (about 3 weeks/month) the accounts were fully opened.

I’m sure I remember Rocknrolla(Paul) saying he had exactly the same issue with NatWest. I imagine his account was non stop deposit / withdrawals every week! They said to him he wasn’t welcome as a customer any longer.

Received a letter from Tesco today. They thanked me for raising a complaint and said they were going to do a thorough investigation into why my account was closed.

I can't remember making a complaint, but if they are willing to 'investigate' then by all means, go for it! Still not going back. And who knows, I may be able to claim some sort of compensation for all the tears I've shed! :laugh:

just my opinion but there's no use asking banks anything, personally i would send a data request which they must give to include all

information being held by them about you including (and this is the useful bit) any personal comments about you,

which as far as i can see they can only refuse if there's an ongoing criminal investigation, that may give you some answers at least,

Hi dpp00,

How do you know the bank must supply me with that data? Can you tell me where you seen this please.

I'm asking because I'm intending to write to them and asking for what you mentioned, so would like to back it up with proof.

Rossco37,

In UK it used to be and probably still is the data protection regulations.

A few years back I sent a Subject Access Request to the NatWest regarding account charges dating back 5 years when I didn’t have statements....

Got about 3.5k back off the fuckers on unreasonable charges on personal and business accounts.

So unless anything has changed since then , they have to provide information held about you when asked in the correct manner.

Fairly sure a SAR letter had to include a payment of a nominal fee for it to be legit, but have a search online for a recent template letter to copy.

Hi dpp00,

How do you know the bank must supply me with that data? Can you tell me where you seen this please.

I'm asking because I'm intending to write to them and asking for what you mentioned, so would like to back it up with proof.

hi sorry just spotted this, its part of the renewed GDPR rules just google data request access its fairly simple i think its 10 quid, you've had the data protection act for many years already

but back in may they were updated and are much more vigorous, i dont think natwest are

under any obligation to reopen your ac, but if something is recorded incorrectly against you

your able to have it amended,

they have to respond, and as mentioned your entitled to see all information being held on you by the bank or anyone for that matter, you could also check out (Resolver.co.uk) hope that helps,

Last edited:
Bank of Scotland shut my account for this because I used the account as basically a gambling account with wages/payments in another account. Don't remember banks ever being ethically aligned!!!

Bank of Scotland shut my account for this because I used the account as basically a gambling account with wages/payments in another account. Don't remember banks ever being ethically aligned!!!

They did query a number of transactions from Malta previously as well actually.

Barclays did nothing ever. Not once did I speak to them about anything at all on my account with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back