A Dog's Final Day (grab your tissues)

I needed a whole box of tissues!

Today I helped a friend see her dad off. It stirred up so many memories of so many losses.

About the only grief I didn't remember was my dog Pal I had to put down.

The hamburgers really got to me. You know how please please mom can I have a dog? Turns into the kid leaves home but the dog stays? Well kiddo came over with a bacon cheeseburger, not for Pally, but for her lunch to say her goodbyes to her littermate. He hadn't eaten in days, and I knew in my heart of hearts we would not be bringing him back home after the vets. I made her give him the bacon, a treat he was rarely allowed for his own benefit. I helped him down the front steps to lay on the lawn, and the postman stopped to apologize he had no cookies today. Pal struggled and failed to get up for the pat that came even if there was no cookie. But dogs are pretty optimistic, maybe today there will be a cookie!

Our lives are so much richer because of those we love, and those who loved us.

RIP Dukey.

My wife reminded me last night that our dog is now over 7 years old. While some dogs could live to the age of 15 or over we dont hope for our dog to live to 12 or more due to possible health concerns. My son will soon be studying abroad for 3 years and it suddenly struck me that when he returns the dog might be gone. So I am tempted to say to him to accompany our dog more. This is the sad part of having pets. You might not be able to cope with their inevitable departure as they only have a life span of one-seventh or one-eighth of yours.

I really do appreciate and try to express the line:

Dogs might only take up a small portion of your life....but for them, you're their entire life.

Give the buggers the best one you can. :) You might move on. You're all they'll ever know. ;)

I really do appreciate and try to express the line:

Dogs might only take up a small portion of your life....but for them, you're their entire life.

Give the buggers the best one you can. :) You might move on. You're all they'll ever know. ;)

Thanks for the link.:notworthy I definitely needed my tissues.
My dog takes up a huge part of my life. He's always there my constant companion. He makes me laugh and he is a very good boy. I have him four years now (he''s a rescue) and I have only been away from him for one night. I love him more than I do most people. I even share my steak with him! Cesar Milan would not be pleased but I don't care. I consider my dog to be a gift and feel privileged to be his Mom (cannot say own cause he owns me as much as I own him).:D

This is my girl
Terra is her name, she's my little Terra
She is 7 1/2 now and i spoil her rotten everyday.
She gets steak for tea every night and too many treats (loves her liver treats) every night at bedtime
and sleeps with me every night.
I often think about how long she will be around and hope it is for many more years yet!

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpg
    IMG_1852.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back