6.0 in Nevada

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

(CNN) -- A strong earthquake struck the northeast corner of Nevada Thursday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The USGS reported the quake was 6.0 magnitude and at a depth of 6.2 miles below the surface. The magnitude was lowered from 6.3 about an hour after the initial report.

The epicenter was about 150 miles from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Undersheriff Rocky Gonzalez, of Elko County...

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

This was one of the many reasons we moved from Las vegas. They are storing all the nuclear waste in a hole in Nevada, a strong earth quake BOOM:eek2:

I forgot the :lolup:

:p

I honestly didnt undearstood your sarcasm............
To feel like a magnitude 6 heartquake you would need2/3 nuke exploding at the same moment....I read it somewhere, thats all.
I didnt mean to show off like a nuclear scientist.....Im not.

I honestly didnt undearstood your sarcasm............
To feel like a magnitude 6 heartquake you would need2/3 nuke exploding at the same moment....I read it somewhere, thats all.
I didnt mean to show off like a nuclear scientist.....Im not.

It's all good :)

Well, at 0:56 GMT on the 27th Feb, there was a 5.2 quake here in the UK:eek:

Somewhere "up north", but I felt it here in Bracknell while sitting here at my PC!

6.0 is actually a fair bit stronger though, as the scale is logarithmic, not linear.

We often had to deal with queries about UK quakes at the meteorlogical office, as the general public somehow thought it was something we dealt with. We usually referred queries to the UK Geological survey service, where this latest one is detailed.

The general public know about us, as they frequently blame us when they get wet, but there isn't much call for the services of the UK geological survey service.

As with tornadoes, there are probably more quakes per square mile here than in the US, but again, as with tornadoes, they are a great deal smaller, and often pass unnoticed.

As with tornadoes, there are probably more quakes per square mile here than in the US, but again, as with tornadoes, they are a great deal smaller, and often pass unnoticed.
I don't think so. The US has several active seismic zone. The USGS reports 263 earthquakes in the Yellowstone area in February, the BGS only 8 for the whole of UK (including Market Rasen and three aftershocks).

I don't think so. The US has several active seismic zone. The USGS reports 263 earthquakes in the Yellowstone area in February, the BGS only 8 for the whole of UK (including Market Rasen and three aftershocks).

Per square mile though?

It depends on how many events, not their strength. Much of the UK gets "quakes" from collapses in old mine workings, as well as places like Market Rasen which make the news. In the US though, just like their tornadoes, their quakes are "proper" quakes, and much bigger.

6.0 is actually a great deal stronger than 5.2, because it is a logarithmic based scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back