12 Monkeys

miso

Meister Member
MM
Just wanted to recommend this amazing show. Since the Game of Thrones is still a few weeks away and The Walking Dead is absolute garbage lately, I went to SyFy out of desperation and boy, they really surprised everyone with this one. Seems like they were not kidding saying they want to put the Sharknado days behind and be a respected sci-fi channel once again.
So if you're not watching already, check it out :thumbsup: And BTW, I'm a fan of the film, and these two versions are very different, with the show only taking the basic premise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the movie a lot, so I watched the pilot episode - I'm not sure if the series got picked up by any networks here. I don't know if it would be something I'd watch all the time, it seems like it has the potential to be a little same-y after a few episodes.

I liked the movie a lot, so I watched the pilot episode - I'm not sure if the series got picked up by any networks here. I don't know if it would be something I'd watch all the time, it seems like it has the potential to be a little same-y after a few episodes.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But so far, there's a lot happening and it seems that the writers have a clear idea where this is all going.
That time travel stuff, whatever they do has real effect on all the timelines. Currently we're in 2015, 2017, 2041 and 2043 ;) Soon enough, I'll be making notes.
One thing that worries me, because the show is so well received it got renewed for second season, is that this really is a two season max show.
When they run the course, they should stop. Not keep it going and making nonsense just for the sake of keeping the show alive.

I totally agree - some of the best shows I've seen have a definite ending, I kinda lose patience with the ones that limp along forever. There was a series with Jason Isaacs called Awake, did you see that one? It actually got cancelled after the first season (to make room for even MORE reality TV!) but it was a perfect little story the way it was wrapped up at the end anyhow. It's about this guy who's a detective and he flips between two different realities every time he goes to sleep - in one of them his wife is dead, in the other his wife is ok but his son is dead. I really thought it was pretty good, I'm a Jason Isaacs fan anyhow, but the storyline was pretty interesting too. If you didn't see it, you might want to check it out - you might enjoy it. :)

Funny you mentioned Awake, I was reading about it the other day. I will definitely watch it at some point, 13 episodes will get me through a couple of days babysitting :D

I kinda lose patience with the ones that limp along forever...

Reminds me of when Hannibal was previewed...I thought I might watch that. Then I saw an interview with the lead and he said he'd been signed up for NINE series!!! So I didn't bother.

Simmo, as far as I know it will be seven seasons and they're still worlds away from Buffalo Bill territory. Next season will is the start of "Red Dragon" storyline. And Hannibal is one of the best shows ever made. I can safely say there's never been anything quite like Hannibal. The stuff they got away with at NBC is mind blowing. Just a wicked, stylish and sick in a good way show.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, im in the middle of watching the last episode when CM notification came in - went to check it out and caught this thread :)

wicked show

Hm, never got into the Walking Dead yet, but maybe that will come when i run out of series.

Theres a few from Syfy and Starz i recommend.
I am talking about:

Syfy

Stargate Universe, and that one is nothing like all the other Stargate series or movie, i think i only tried it because Robert Carlyle played one of the leads, an he is an actor i find pretty damn good.

Defiance, a very interesting futuristic series that is still running, with good acting and a reflective storyline which touches on various current and social issues with a little twist.

Starz Originals

Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.
Spartacus: Vengeance.
Spartacus: War of the Damned.

One of the best series i ever saw, and i went through them in a sort of a marathon because it was so well filmed, acted and i just didn't want to stop watching:)

Then, without turning this into a mile-long post, titles like Black Sails, and Da Vinci's Demons also really were impressive so far.

I also liked the first episodes of Falling Skies, Orphan Black and @ Simmo, Hannibal. Even if that with the 9 seasons is true, you still should watch the first two seasons, which does have kind of an ending to it...Definitely worth it.

I will deffo check this 12 Monkeys out, seems like a winner too.

I think nowadays the series and the mini series have more entertainment value then the actual movies, they can pull you in deeper, since they have more time to do so, and as the budgets for them have significantly improved, so did the quality with which they are produced. My prediction is that actors could well be more focused on establishing a career in TV as opposed to movies these days and in the near future.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But so far, there's a lot happening and it seems that the writers have a clear idea where this is all going.
That time travel stuff, whatever they do has real effect on all the timelines. Currently we're in 2015, 2017, 2041 and 2043 ;) Soon enough, I'll be making notes.
One thing that worries me, because the show is so well received it got renewed for second season, is that this really is a two season max show.
When they run the course, they should stop. Not keep it going and making nonsense just for the sake of keeping the show alive.

I find that they make a couple of seasons, and then suddenly cancel the show without it having had a proper ending. It seems that this has become the norm, rather than an exception, and might be due to trying to keep a show limping along for too long, losing viewers, and then shafting the most loyal fans by depriving them of a proper ending. It's like buying a novel and finding the final chapter has been ripped out. One would quickly tire of buying novels from the same bookshop if one after another came with the last chapter ripped out. Similarly, every new show comes with a high probability that it will limp along and fade without a proper ending to the storyline, so at what point do you say "why bother watching this, it won't have an ending". This may be why some shows unexpectedly fail to pull in the viewers expected, and then, like the US version of The Tomorrow People" it gets cut after the first season, with those who didn't watch it because they though this would happen saying "told you so" and further reinforcing the belief that such shows are not worth bothering with.

The other thing they seem to do is cobble together a somewhat unbelievable and fast ending to a complex and slowly evolving story line, driven by the notice that they have to wrap everything up in one last episode because the show has just been canned, rather than a proper planned bringing together of all the strands towards a planned ending of the final season.

Maybe more people will say "I'll watch the box set (on Netflix) once I know it had a proper ending", which means the production company can't tell how popular their show really is until they have released the final season, and it has a decent ending.

I find that they make a couple of seasons, and then suddenly cancel the show without it having had a proper ending. It seems that this has become the norm, rather than an exception, and might be due to trying to keep a show limping along for too long, losing viewers, and then shafting the most loyal fans by depriving them of a proper ending. It's like buying a novel and finding the final chapter has been ripped out. One would quickly tire of buying novels from the same bookshop if one after another came with the last chapter ripped out. Similarly, every new show comes with a high probability that it will limp along and fade without a proper ending to the storyline, so at what point do you say "why bother watching this, it won't have an ending". This may be why some shows unexpectedly fail to pull in the viewers expected, and then, like the US version of The Tomorrow People" it gets cut after the first season, with those who didn't watch it because they though this would happen saying "told you so" and further reinforcing the belief that such shows are not worth bothering with.

The other thing they seem to do is cobble together a somewhat unbelievable and fast ending to a complex and slowly evolving story line, driven by the notice that they have to wrap everything up in one last episode because the show has just been canned, rather than a proper planned bringing together of all the strands towards a planned ending of the final season.

Maybe more people will say "I'll watch the box set (on Netflix) once I know it had a proper ending", which means the production company can't tell how popular their show really is until they have released the final season, and it has a decent ending.

Unfortunately, it's all about the numbers. You're right, too many people are waiting for box sets or pirating, and networks are not very interested in that. Rarely we get a show like Hannibal, that has extremely low Nielsen ratings by US standards, yet survives because it is well received and one of the most torrented shows out there.

By the way, I'm ready to get shafted. Several years invested in Continuum and this spring instead of 2 - 3 more seasons we get 6 episode send off.
And this is one of the more complex shows we're talking about. Hopefully they make it work, somehow.

Watched all episodes in 1 go. Excellent, thanks for the suggestion. Good to know there will be a second season too. I watched all 'Odyssey 5' episodes a while back, totally love it, but no ending :(

Been so long since i watched the film but im always looking for new series to try out! Can't wait for GoT to come back though. I only have bates motel at the moment & need more shows :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back