How do you stop a hangover?

P.V.

Dormant Account
webmeister
Interesting article today on how to stop hangovers, what do you do?

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Personally if I drink a lot I make sure I eat before going to bed, take a few Tylenol's before hitting the sack too.

I've tried the hair of the dog thing, helps if I'm on a trip, away from work but not when heading out for a full day ahead of me not a good game plan. :)

the only sure way to not have one is by not drinking
helping to alleviate one doesnt need much more than sleep, re-hydration and maybe an aspirin..aside from that, unless you're still a teen, it's learning your level of tolerance and respecting it.

I just had to go find this quote by Robert Benchley ;)

"A real hangover is nothing to try out family remedies on. The only cure for a real hangover is death."

Obvious but looking for input and remedies.

apparently not so obvious or people wouldn't still be looking for remedies :rolleyes:
the 2nd half of my post does suggest remedies..sleep, rehydration and aspirin

A pint of water before bed seems to work for me.

Heavy or light drinking? If I'm tying one on a the bar or party (especially if alcohol), I'll try chase every few drinks with a glass of water. Beer doesn't seem to affect me hangover wise, liquor will; but I get that, hmm, bile taste, which says it's up-the-water-intake time

Last edited:
Heavy or light drinking? If I'm tying one on a the bar or party (especially if alcohol), I'll try chase every few drinks with a glass of water. Beer doesn't seem to affect me hangover wise, liquor will; but I get hat, hmm, bile taste, which says it's up-the-water-intake time

Heavy, just seems to take the headache aspect out of the next morning, I'll probably still feel a little rough for a couple of hours but not half as bad as what I would have felt like otherwise!

Each to their own I guess, some swear by a few bacon butties the next morning.

I'm pretty sure there's no 'cure', but I guess some remedies may play a part; after all everyone has different metabolisms. It may be that I actually have hangover effects but sleep through them. In my younger days, it often felt like my head was three times too small; these days, but for the rare bender, I'm good to go, pop a pill, load up on OJ and water and right as rain.
Beer, I can put back about 5 pitchers at the bar, so, hmm, 15 beer, with no adverse effects (er, hangover wise lol). I probably feel bloated long before the point where the hangover effects would kick in.

For me snacking in between drinks and also eating AFTER I had a drink helps somewhat.

If you are a smoker, this will increase the intensity of your hangover ... A few people swear by this :) - Cut back on smokes.

After a drink then a meal, its good to walk a bit or do something to wear the alcohol down (Dancing, Chasing the Neighbours Cat..etc) ... and after that water with 2 Painkillers - I usually do not have a hangover the next day if I do this.

On a side note, I was so drunk once that I came home and googled 'How to get Sober Quickly' LOL!

Nate

For me snacking in between drinks and also eating AFTER I had a drink helps somewhat.

If you are a smoker, this will increase the intensity of your hangover ... A few people swear by this :) - Cut back on smokes.

After a drink then a meal, its good to walk a bit or do something to wear the alcohol down (Dancing, Chasing the Neighbours Cat..etc) ... and after that water with 2 Painkillers - I usually do not have a hangover the next day if I do this.

On a side note, I was so drunk once that I came home and googled 'How to get Sober Quickly' LOL!

Nate

I thought smoking thickened the blood, drinking it thinning it; kind of cancelling one another out.
As for running around etc, wouldnt that just move the alcohol faster through the system, not actually negating it? I'd think the sweating would just exacerbate the hangover by being more dehydrated.

The headache associated with hangovers has a lot to do with being dehydrated - so drinking a lot of water while boozing it up will help.

I also learned a little secret from fellow partyers: anti-diarrhea tablets. Take a full dose before hitting the pubs and it will assist your body in retaining its water - thus no headache. I have a couple of friends who swear by this. I've tried it and it seems to work. :D

I remember watching a morning tv program once where they tested this. They paid for 3 students to go out and get drunk then brought them into the studio the next morning absolutely hanging.

They gave one a full English breakfast, one the usual over the counter painkillers you reach for when your suffering and the last guy had hair of the dog.

The guy with the fry up had the best recovery but I suppose it depends in the person.

If you can face it I would always go for the breakfast option.

I thought smoking thickened the blood, drinking it thinning it; kind of cancelling one another out.
As for running around etc, wouldnt that just move the alcohol faster through the system, not actually negating it? I'd think the sweating would just exacerbate the hangover by being more dehydrated.

WRT Smoking - Yes, but lots of former smokers said that their hangovers were less intense.. Maybe the nicotene (and other chemicals) coupled with alcohol ..

Running around... Walking... I know it would dehydrate you hence the water. It aids me in getting sober faster as opposed to just sitting and spinning :p

Nate

Last edited:
It's 100% true

I don't think non-smokers can really appreciate how heavy a smoker hangover is.
I can drink twice as much if I'm not smoking and have virtually no hangover compared to the hangovers I get when smoking heavily.

Don't smoke I suppose is the trick to that one eh?
My ecig does no harm though.

WRT Smoking - Yes, but lots of former smokers said that their hangovers were less intense.. Maybe the nictoene (and other chemicals) coupled with alcohol ..

Nate

It's 100% true

I can drink twice as much if I'm not smoking and have virtually no hangover compared to the hangovers I get when smoking heavily.

I dunno; I'm a two pack a day smoker; doesn't seem to do anything here, whether I'm at the bar and only have a couple (cant smoke inside) or home and light one off the other (or even one burning away in tray while im lighting one lol)

It's 100% true

I was curious so I googled it - These are some of the first results that popped up:

Nate

Hmm, doesn't seem to suggest that smoking heightens the effects of a drinking hangover, rather, that smoking produces its OWN hangover effects, so you've got two hangover effects going simultaneously, seeming the hangover is worse; added to the fact, if you're binge drinking you're likely to smoke more.

Doesn't make a difference... Smoking is going to cause a heavier hangover.. so hence my statement.

Nate

I wasn't referencing your statement; I was referencing the article
Anyway, your statement consisted of: I was curious so I googled it - These are some of the first results that popped up:
I was following up on that

I'm a binge drinker but I don't smoke which after reading that artical consider myself lucky ;) I tend to have a large McDonalds meal (yummy oily food) along with a ton of water and panadol before bed, then the next day I take another panadol and a couple of these OTC tablets called No-Doze which is basically just caffeine. The caffeine gives me the energy I need to replace.

I've found that when I need to chuck it's better to just get it out of the way as I tend to feel better once it's out of my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back