Woman has winnings stolen

amourgirl

Not so Senior Senior Member!
There is a lesson to be learnt here somewhere.... :cool: Just click title below it should open up the newspaper story
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Poor girl - has probably put her off gambling for good, so there might be a blessing there ;)

Journalists are not famed for their math skills:

Chantelle, who had never gambled before, had placed $20 (£9.31) on a horse called Prince of Penzance with 101-1 odds at the Melbourne Cup horse race.

I make that $2020 or £1324, so where they got £380 from has got me.

Good spot... i'll have another look

Poor girl - has probably put her off gambling for good, so there might be a blessing there ;)

Poor girl, probably what we call in the UK an Each Way bet where you win a 1/4 or 1/5 the odds for place :)

Poor girl, probably what we call in the UK an Each Way bet where you win a 1/4 or 1/5 the odds for place :)

Yep, same over here.

1/4 or 1/5 the odds with an each way bet.

But even then the Journos math is still off :)

$20 on a 101/1 = $2020

$2020/4 = $505 + original $20 back = $525 Returns (For 1/4 each way return)

$2020/5 = $404 + original $20 back = $424 Returns (for 1/5 each way return)

So where the $380 return comes from from a $20 bet I have no idea.

EDIT: $2020/360 (I have taken out the $20 original bet return) = 1/5.61 each way odds.

Australia is upside down.

EDIT 2: What I find interesting is how the guy that supposedly cashed this in from just using a photo of a barcode was able to, well, cash it in.

That barcode is on a piece of paper, that piece of paper has to be scanned physically to work.

So either someone who was with her has switched dockets and stolen her winnings, or it's just a sensationalist and fabricated headline to sell papers :)

Yep, same over here.

1/4 or 1/5 the odds with an each way bet.

But even then the Journos math is still off :)

$20 on a 101/1 = $2020

$2020/4 = $505 + original $20 back = $525 Returns (For 1/4 each way return)

$2020/5 = $404 + original $20 back = $424 Returns (for 1/5 each way return)

So where the $380 return comes from from a $20 bet I have no idea.

EDIT: $2020/360 (I have taken out the $20 original bet return) = 1/5.61 each way odds.

Australia is upside down.

Just guessing at but there maybe tax to pay on winnings in Australia? Lol sorry didn't see your edit.

Just guessing at but there maybe tax to pay on winnings in Australia? Lol sorry didn't see your edit.

No worries. I know where I am going wrong with the math.

The Journo states she won £380 and doesn't state how much she won in Aussie dollars. But tells you she placed $20 (£9.31)

Unless you know the currency conversion rate at the exact time it's impossible to figure out the each way odds :thumbsup:

Which isn't the point for me at this stage.

I want to know how it's possible for a guy sitting at home to manufacture a forged piece of paper with the barcode printed on it and then going to the bookies and cashing it in before she does (10 mins).

It's not possible to even manufacture this, nevermind do it in 10 minutes lmao.

Someone with her switched dockets or its a false story.

EDIT: Another possibility is the bookmaker is straight up lying and not wanting to pay her out!

Bar codes also have numbers that could of been typed in, I do not know where the odds come from? Also abit late now to blur the code :) Reason blurred as its just another stunt, Media will do just about anything now to get views / Buyers

If it is true than it was an expensive selfie and will serve a lesson, Why people would want to tell there life story over social media is beyond me

No tax on horse race winnings for the average punter.
This may be different if you are a professional punter though.

Also it's maybe not common knowledge here but should be as i have seen it done before
the TAB bet tickets have a barcode on them.
This can be copied and scanned.
Hence why we see warnings on some tipping sites never to show barcode if you post a pic of your TAB bet ticket.
Hopefully more people are aware now after this story made national news.

Worst part about it for the young lass was she had her facebook set to private so only her friends could see it!
So one of her facebook friends was the thief!

Bar codes also have numbers that could of been typed in, I do not know where the odds come from? Also abit late now to blur the code :) Reason blurred as its just another stunt, Media will do just about anything now to get views / Buyers

If it is true than it was an expensive selfie and will serve a lesson, Why people would want to tell there life story over social media is beyond me

It was true!
She bet on the TAB and she bet on the tote odds and won about $900 Aus
She should have put the same bet on fixed odds and would have won about $1200 for exactly the same bet.

The girl i live with was drunk down the pub and put the same bet on the horse cos she always goes for the $101 odds (never won them before till tuesday) Lol
She's been partying all week! hehe

It was true!
She bet on the TAB and she bet on the tote odds and won about $900 Aus
She should have put the same bet on fixed odds and would have won about $1200 for exactly the same bet.

The girl i live with was drunk down the pub and put the same bet on the horse cos she always goes for the $101 odds (never won them before till tuesday) Lol
She's been partying all week! hehe

I knew there would be some truth in it but you know media hype things up,

Well done on your mates win, Tell her NO selfie's :)

This just sucks!

Wow, I didn't even know this was possible.

This is good to know! Shame she had to get shafted by one of her fb friends for me to learn of this :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back