Logo
external image

William Hill to close 119 Betting Shops

  • Thread starter Thread starter News Hound
  • id92237
  • Start date Start date
  • View count 899
  • Replies 4
Joined
Feb 15, 2019
I thought this was coming, one I would use every now and then hasn't re-opened, seems a strange decision to me, as the Coral down the road closed last year, both were pretty busy, the Hills since Coral closed was really busy, and there isn't another one within walking distance. It's in a busy area too so very surprised it's gone, especially when some others that barely get used, have stayed open.
 
I expect the FOBT maximum stake of £2 is a prime mover behind this decision to be honest. As betting shops were limited to four machines per shop, often a second shop was opened up within yards of the existing one in towns, to get around the limit of machines allowed.

Since the £2 maximum stake ruling came in last year, this has made the need for a second shop within walking distance redundant.

Whilst shop closures had already taken place to take into account the above, this pandemic has further affected the revenue steams of shop estates.
 
I thought this was coming, one I would use every now and then hasn't re-opened, seems a strange decision to me, as the Coral down the road closed last year, both were pretty busy, the Hills since Coral closed was really busy, and there isn't another one within walking distance. It's in a busy area too so very surprised it's gone, especially when some others that barely get used, have stayed open.
I suspect that within a few years the only high street bookies left will be more for the purpose of advertising. Such as in key city centres. Del's independent traders logo Spring ( see what I did there?) to mind :p
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Accredited Casinos

Back
Top