Warning for people who wear glasses/lens

babs7262

Banned User
Do Not got to America's Best Eyeglasses and contact lens OR on the net they are called americasbesteyewear.com. They tried to extort me in my personal opinion and here is the true story of what happened today.

First, I saw an ad on television for the eyecare club at this place. They offer a 3 year $99 plan, I thought that was a pretty good price, $90 for 3 years of eye exams, plus discounts on lens and glasses. The other option was to pay $60 for one exam. When you wear contacts , you need to go atleast once a year so I thought great! They also have a 5 yr plan for $139

I make an appt and go in today. I ask some questions regarding discounts on single boxes and not just large amounts. I fill out the patient form and everything is fine. I get called in to the technician office where I get a couple of simple tests and she also put a puff of air in each eye and asked me for my script info on my current contacts. That lasted about 15 miinutes and went fine. I go back in waiting room (Rich was with me)

A few minutes later I get called in by the eye dr, Rich comes with because that's just who he is, he cares and wants to know whats going on with me. We walk in the exam room and the Dr said to Rich "why are you in here" Rich said "because I like knowing whats going on with my wife, is that ok ?" The Dr said "well, that chair is usually for kids or a parent when a child is getting examined but whatever" "You know your gonna be in the dark for a minute and theres magazines out there" RIch just said "I dont mind, Ill stay here" and the Dr wouldnt let it go for about another 2 minutes. fine , he's a schmuck but did no harm.

He gives me a THOUROUGH eye exam, it lasts another good 15-20 plus lectures me on how I shouldnt swim in a pool with chlorine, I shouldnt sleep in my contacts and I shouldnt use tap water on my plants because the chlorine will kill them and you cant use tap water on tropical fish etc...A REAL FRIKIN NUT!!! He finishes and sends us back to the waiting room

THe original tech comes out and grabs us (not literally lol) and takes us to the contacts room. She grabs 2 boxes. I asked her for my free trial . She hems and haws and takes forever while complaining in the meantime. I get them and start to open them. She says "You cant try the free trial pair until you buy these 2 boxes" I say "I wont know if I like them until I try them, If I like them, Ill buy the 2 boxes" She says "If you dont like them, well give you a refund" I said "Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard and Im not going to buy new contacts with a new prescription unless I try them first, isnt that what free trial means?" She says, "ill be right back" In the meantime I tell Rich to watch out while I write down the info on the trial pair

Here comes the intimidation tactics now......In walks in.....the tech, the store manager PLUS the Dr himself all standing around me like a herd of wolves. I tell them that I will not buy something if there is a free trial. That didnt get anywhere so I finally said "You know what, never mind, Ill just pay the $60 for the eye exam and you just give me the written script and Ill go elsewhere" The manager says "Im not charging you because I dont want to give you the info so you cant get your contacts" I said "Fine, my uncle is a dr, Ill ask him to call it in like did in the past" She said "Im not going to give him any information" I said "you dont need to, he doesnt need to call here" she said "is he an eye dr" I said "no" she said "then how will he know your prescription?" I said "because when your tech walked out the door to get you, I wrote it down" She said "you need to leave now" I said "thank you for the free exam"

We took the money that was suppose to be for the exam and went out to lunch. When I got home, I emailed 1800 contacts and emailed my family doctor, told them the story and they are gonna give me my lens and they also sent me a form to fill out because there are over 10 complaints from customers with this very problem

PLEASE KNOW: It is illegal for any Dr to withhold your prescription information and it is also illegal for them to extort you. Dont let this happen to you!

wow what a bunch of thugs.

Geez.... what a terrible story, but i think you handled it well. I would be very wary in any medical office or clinic that treats you like you are going through a car wash or buying a car on a lot. Unfortunately, eye exams and lasik type procedures are notorious for this type of treatment. I still remember when i took my wife to get an evaluation for lasik. After a thorough exam by "staff," (i have a hard time calling some of them "techs.") my wife saw the doctor for a few minutes out of the 1.5 hours we were there. Guess where we spent most of our time? The little room in the back to discuss cost and payment options with the "financial' manager.

After a while, i asked about the extended warranty and undercarriage protectant. ;)

It was such a bad experience, i mean... i actually haggled the price down quite a bit, lol....i ended up doing something i rarely, rarely do. I accepted a "proffesional courtesy" from a colleague's friend to perform the surgery, though i insisted on paying for the facility charges. Everything ended up great!!

I think it's just sooo sad when professionals start acting like used car salesman (though i've met some great car salesman too, lol). :D

Good for you to write the script down. Smart thinking :D

btw, wasn't this place called 4 eyes or whatever in the past?

I always found it hard to believe they could offer 2 full pairs of glasses for $70 or so....I'm sure they'd add to the price for every little thing.

Good for you to write the script down. Smart thinking :D

btw, wasn't this place called 4 eyes or whatever in the past?

I always found it hard to believe they could offer 2 full pairs of glasses for $70 or so....I'm sure they'd add to the price for every little thing.

When I read other complaints about this place a person said the $69 for 2 pair ended up being $223 for one pair!

When I read other complaints about this place a person said the $69 for 2 pair ended up being $223 for one pair!

That's why I go to Wal-Mart...lol

My script + frames anywhere else = $400
Wal-Mart = < $200

And the eye docs there at Wal-Mart aren't half bad....as long as you don't have a f'd up prescription like I do...(strong prism in both lenses)

My contacts are on their way from" blah blah contacts". It took a day and a half but they really showed compassion and felt my frustration. I wont say what happened because I dont want anyone to get in trouble lol

The stupid eye dr made the contacts so I can see far ok but now I cant see as far as reading posts . Im gonna have to get reading glasses. Thre will be some tyoos until iget them and apologize

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back