UIGEA in trouble?

dominique

Dormant account
Old / Expired Link

After a long diatribe by Jon Kyl about the mechanics of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was completed and entered into the record, he asked Gonzales to give a list of internet gambling company bank account numbers to the Treasury Department. Gonzales stated there were "operational issues" with turning over the information and that his team was ""trying to work through this...to figure out if we even can do this".

"It needs to occur quickly," stated Kyl.

Kyl was unsuccessful in securing a commitment from Gonzales to turn the information over to the Treasury Department. This is a signal that the Arizona Senator is losing an uphill battle to garner support for enforcement of UIGEA.

Read the whole thing at the source above.

INTERESTING ARTICLE

From the link of the article:
Keep in mind, for all intents and and purposes, the Department of Justice got their trophy already. BETonSPORTS founder Gary Kaplan and company CEO David Carruthers have been arrested. Both are awaiting trial on charges of money laundering and tax evasion
Quite ironic that Calvin's Bodog ad is directly to the left of this excerpt.

Kyl was very shrewd and calculating to bring up the issue of UIGEA implementation at the hearing focusing on the US attorney firings.

That's because Attorney General Gonzales is under fire now, and desperate to hold on to the support of Senators on the Judiciary Committee. The message I got was that if Gonzales wants Kyl to help him save his job, then he needs to start caring a lot more about implementing the UIGEA.

Could it also be Kyl building up a head of steam to counter the Barney Frank initiative, which has been attracting media coverage?

Both comments make a lot of sense.

I like that this issue is becoming more and more public.

IMO, the more it is talked about, the better.

I wish I could find a transcript of this part of the hearings. I guess it's too soon to show up anywhere on the net.

I wish I could find a transcript of this part of the hearings. I guess it's too soon to show up anywhere on the net.
An official transcript may not be available for several weeks, but you can watch (with Real Player) a video clip of the hearing through c-span:

rtsp://video.c-span.org/project/atty/atty041907_gonzales2.rm

Advance to time position 40:30 to see Kyl's exchange with Gonzales.

Respected lawyer Lawrence G. Walters of GameAttorneys.com has also published a good summary and assessment of the exchanges.

Could it also be Kyl building up a head of steam to counter the Barney Frank initiative, which has been attracting media coverage?
That's probably true as well. Although it might be smarter for Kyl to do more of his work on this issue behind the scenes, because his public comments often fuel the backlash against his crusade.

Both comments make a lot of sense.

I like that this issue is becoming more and more public.

IMO, the more it is talked about, the better.

Exactly. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that many people not in the industry have no idea this law passed or if they do they do not have any understanding of the law or how shady it was rushed through. I certainly make sure to get the word out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back