tournament poker

dylan3101

Dormant account
Ok here`s the deal it was a tournament blinds 200-400 i had about 4 000 chips, the other guy to.
He was utg i was on the button. He limped everyone else folded, and i raised on the button to 800 with 10 J suited(wouldn`t have normally raised or even limped here but he was capable limping with 72 and folded a lot when there was a raise.)
SB and BB fold and he calls me.
The flop came AAQ rainbow, he checks and i checked( he had trapped people before)
Then the turn came K giving me a straight and a flush draw.. he bets 500 wich i didn`t think was a strong bet, so i raised him i put in 1500 chips wich leaves me with 1700 in chips. But then he came over the top of me and went all in, and after long thinking i just figured he had me beat and folded(showed my cards to him) and the people on my table where just stunned, how could i fold my straight here after committing more than half of my stack? But then the bad news came, he showed me K5 offsuit i was shocked.
Was this a good play?

ps. Worked my way up a gain and made it to the final table as 2nd in chips :)

Good play on his part- Reminds me of Gus whats-his name that plays pro on T.V tourneys- I've seen him make people fold strong hands with nothing but 3-5 offsuit & nothing on the board- I don't think I would have shown the dude my cards thoguh. If her's going to keep you guessing like that- then make him guess too-

I'd say the dude wasn't a very good player though if he showed you his hand insteaf of mucking it- sounds to me like he couldn't resist bragging & just had to show you he beat you with nothing- would have been alot more effective if he mucked- woulda kept you guessing about him- he tipped his hand when he showed. That was good for you & other players at the table that he showed his hand though because it meant that you or osmeone else could come out firing next time you had a strong hand & possibly busted him

One other quick point- something to think about for next time- It could be that the dude read you for a straight and knew that you would be nervous about a full house & simply took advantage of that by raising a tester raise- perhaps if you had fired out a strong reraise after his raise-then he mighta folded- Hard to say not knowing his playing style. It's tough when you don't have alot of chips to work with & might have to go all in

I'm not a real good player myself- infact I'm kinda bad & I don't play for real money- this is all based on just what I see at play money tables which is a bit different becausde people at play money tables are complete maniacs- raising and reraising anything- so take what I said with grain of salt.

The people at the table mighta been stunned- but theyy weren't the ones facing losing a bad beat if the other dude did have a full house- I mighta folded in this situation too if I didn't get a good feed on what the other dude had

Last edited:
dylan3101 said:
Ok here`s the deal it was a tournament blinds 200-400 i had about 4 000 chips, the other guy to.
He was utg i was on the button. He limped everyone else folded, and i raised on the button to 800 with 10 J suited(wouldn`t have normally raised or even limped here but he was capable limping with 72 and folded a lot when there was a raise.)
SB and BB fold and he calls me.
The flop came AAQ rainbow, he checks and i checked( he had trapped people before)
Then the turn came K giving me a straight and a flush draw.. he bets 500 wich i didn`t think was a strong bet, so i raised him i put in 1500 chips wich leaves me with 1700 in chips. But then he came over the top of me and went all in, and after long thinking i just figured he had me beat and folded(showed my cards to him) and the people on my table where just stunned, how could i fold my straight here after committing more than half of my stack? But then the bad news came, he showed me K5 offsuit i was shocked.
Was this a good play?

ps. Worked my way up a gain and made it to the final table as 2nd in chips :)

AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ are the only hands that beat you.

Would he limp ... call preflop UTG with any of these hands?

Horrible doesn't begin to describe your laydown.

AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ are the only hands that beat you.

Any of which he could have had- the odds aren't high- but given that it does happen with some frequency on online pokersites when you're having a long string of bad luck, I don't blame him for not wanting to go all in against the guy not knowing the guys playing style. If he had said that the guy had bluffed fairly consistantly, then that's another story

That is what we don't know- perhaps the guy would- trying to trap

bpb said:
everytime he called a raise after limping he had a good hand, he limped a lot and as i said most of the time he just folded his hand after a raise, so i really had put him on some good cards.

dylan- two things- concidering that 1: you would have been busted out early in the tourney IF he had had full house- ya did fine, and 2: Concidering that as you say he had had good hands & wasn't bluffing before- you done right. You gotta remember, that you'll play many hands i nthe tourney & all doesn't hing on just one round- the longer ya played him- the more you got to know his style

Someone said "Don't fall in love with your cardfs/hand" you'll be playing a million more hands where you're more sure of your oponent later on- like you said- you rebounded nice & then got to second place- you wouldn't have had that chance if you had busted out early.

You read your oponent and made the best decision that you could given what you knwe of his play- turns out you made a mistake about what he was holding but so what- you didn't know that until after the fact. Gus whats-his-name, if you'll watch him- He'll make pro's fold strong hands- he's almost impossible to get a good read off of.

If the bet was for only 1/3 of your chips- then that would have been a different story- maybe I'm too conservatibve- but that's how I feel about it.

Last edited:
Come on Guys

This is Poker!!! When you have a straight you take your chances. Never lay down a strong hand like that. Iv'e seen to many people in the "online poker world" lay down great hands to bluffers. You live and did what was a great hand. :D

Nazareth said:
dylan- two things- concidering that 1: you would have been busted out early in the tourney IF he had had full house- ya did fine, and 2: Concidering that as you say he had had good hands & wasn't bluffing before- you done right. You gotta remember, that you'll play many hands i nthe tourney & all doesn't hing on just one round- the longer ya played him- the more you got to know his style

Someone said "Don't fall in love with your cardfs/hand" you'll be playing a million more hands where you're more sure of your oponent later on- like you said- you rebounded nice & then got to second place- you wouldn't have had that chance if you had busted out early.

You read your oponent and made the best decision that you could given what you knwe of his play- turns out you made a mistake about what he was holding but so what- you didn't know that until after the fact. Gus whats-his-name, if you'll watch him- He'll make pro's fold strong hands- he's almost impossible to get a good read off of.

If the bet was for only 1/3 of your chips- then that would have been a different story- maybe I'm too conservatibve- but that's how I feel about it.

He didn't do fine. He made a horrible laydown.

He's getting something like 4:1 from the pot ... and every hand that beats him is highly improbable. His opponent easily makes this move with AJ, AT, A9-A2s. You won't be playing a million more hands this tournament. You have a HUGE edge in this hand ... this hand cannot be folded.

I understand that bp- however- had he gone in and called the dude woulda put him all in- as it was, he was able to stay in the tourney & finish second which is pretty good- had he called & beeen beat- the tourney for him would have been over. He stated that the dude had been raising with hands that beatr other players- He read the situation & didn't feel comfortable. I can't tell you how many times I've thought someone was bluffing & had my straights and or full houses beat by pocket pairs giving the other person the stronger full house- Yes, the probability isn't great, but it does happen with some regualrity- You have to figure that if it was only Dylan and this other dude i nthe hand, then the other players that folded didn't have strong cards- this other dude stayed in the round which most likely meant that he did have strong cards. The flop came A-A-Q, Dylan didn't have either an A or a Q- most people are going to hold onto A-Q & play a round with it. An A-Q isn't an uncommon starting hand. To make matters even wors, the turn showed a K- If someone is raising strong- comming over the top of an already strong bet, then you have to concider that they have a strong starting hand like A-K-

I dunno, As I said- maybe I'm too conservaTive- but I think that Dylan lived to go on to take second place whereas the very real possibility of dying early was in his lap early in the tourney

I find No limit is chaos, you may not have made the best call but if it costs you a bet or two playing safe whats wrong with that. I should have packed pair of aces 3 times today . Last one was at the 12:30 am pokeroom freeroll tonight and on the first hand i was dealt pair of aces. Guy next to me goes allin.
I hate going all in so early in a game and was burned all in on doubled aces twice already earlier but did because i hate folding aces. The turn and river brought him a straight i was out first hand, smoked by an first hand allin preflop cowboy holding a measley pair of sevens.

Is'nt this the same ?
Folding aces on an allin bet first hand in a tourney would be playing supersafe but i should have, cause that was my 3rd allin beat holding a set of aces today.

ToucanSam said:
I find No limit is chaos, you may not have made the best call but if it costs you a bet or two playing safe whats wrong with that. I should have packed pair of aces 3 times today . Last one was at the 12:30 am pokeroom freeroll tonight and on the first hand i was dealt pair of aces. Guy next to me goes allin.
I hate going all in so early in a game and was burned all in on doubled aces twice already earlier but did because i hate folding aces. The turn and river brought him a straight i was out first hand, smoked by an first hand allin preflop cowboy holding a measley pair of sevens.

Is'nt this the same ?
Folding aces on an allin bet first hand in a tourney would be playing supersafe but i should have, cause that was my 3rd allin beat holding a set of aces today.

You had to call there with AA. You were 80% fav and to double up early in the tourney would have been very powerful. Just V unlucky 77 turned into a straight. Gotta play the odds IMHO

Agree

You make that call easily. Ask any poker pro and they will tell you to make that call. If you lose then you went down with a damn good hand. But no way do you fold. Bad move on his part. He got lucky and it worked out in the end. But 90% of the time he will look like a fool and be out of the tourney early. :lolup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back