Top 10 Racehorses of All Time

Pinababy69

RIP Lisa
Looking at the other thread got me to thinking about racehorses. They are athletes as well. I just wondered if anyone has any opinions on their top 10. Maybe a list of top jockeys as well?

Well, now that I started this, I'll have to go and make up my list. I'll only have to pare it down from about 100 or so, lol. And rearrange the order about twenty times. :D

I really do think Barbaro would be ranked up there.
He was not just a great horse, but he also did a lot for the world of horse racing, and horse awerness.
I can not make a list of horses, too many to name.

I think Edgar Prado is the best Jockey currently. I will have to get back with you on the list.

Top Horses & Jockeys...

These are my list of the "TOP TEN" horses and jockeys that I have personally watched race... either live at the track... or on TV.

Horses...
(with the year that they were inducted into the Hall of Fame)​

Secretariat is my top pick... the rest are posted in no specific order.

Secretariat... 1974
Seattle Slew... 1981
Spectacular Bid... 1982
Ruffian... 1976
Majestic Prince... 1988
Buckpasser... 1970
Dr. Fager... 1971
Forego... 1979
Kelso... 1967
Cigar... 2002​

Jockeys...
(with the year they were inducted into the Hall of Fame)​

Steve Cauthen is my top pick... the rest are posted in no specific order

Steve Cauthen... 1994
Gary Stevens... 1997
William Shoemaker... 1958
Pat Day... 1991
Laffit Pincay , Jr... 1975
Russell Baze... 1999
Braulio Baeza... 1976
Jerry Bailey... 1995
Angel Cordero , Jr... 1988
Chris McCarron... 1989​

Harness Racing Top Ten...

These are my "Top Ten" Standardbred horses:

These are listed in the order of my personal choices:​

Niatross
Bret Hanover
Albatross
Cam Fella
Jenna's Beach Boy
Overcall
Cardigan Bay
Sir Dalrae
Rambling Willie
Gallo Blue Chip​

These are my list of the "TOP TEN" horses and jockeys that I have personally watched race... either live at the track... or on TV.

Horses...
(with the year that they were inducted into the Hall of Fame)​

Secretariat is my top pick... the rest are posted in no specific order.

Secretariat... 1974
Seattle Slew... 1981
Spectacular Bid... 1982
Ruffian... 1976
Majestic Prince... 1988
Buckpasser... 1970
Dr. Fager... 1971
Forego... 1979
Kelso... 1967
Cigar... 2002​
By no means do I have any expertise but off the top of my head I had 5 of your 10 which just happen to be the first 5 in your list. Without any research, Affirmed and Alydar were also in the 8 I thought of. Eventhough Alydar was the bridesmaid all 3 times iirc in 78, does Alydar possibly bring the Triple home in most other years. I remember comparing these 2 to Ali-Frazier and does it get any better than that? Also Can.II came to mind. Of course never saw Man of War but heard the hearsay. I need to do some research.

That's what I love about you MrR....you're so thorough, lol. :thumbsup:

I still have to compile a list of my own, but it won't differ that much from yours and Nash's, at least the first five. And Nash, yes...Alydar was always the bridesmaid, but he got his revenge in the breeding shed. He far outperformed Affirmed in that regard, in terms of the amount of money and prestigious races that his offspring won. So that counts for something as well, the legacy they leave behind. Which is sort of why I'm leaning towards Seattle Slew as my #1, with Secretariat #2. More thought required. :D

That's what I love about you MrR....you're so thorough, lol. :thumbsup:

I still have to compile a list of my own, but it won't differ that much from yours and Nash's, at least the first five. And Nash, yes...Alydar was always the bridesmaid, but he got his revenge in the breeding shed. He far outperformed Affirmed in that regard, in terms of the amount of money and prestigious races that his offspring won. So that counts for something as well, the legacy they leave behind. Which is sort of why I'm leaning towards Seattle Slew as my #1, with Secretariat #2. More thought required. :D
Great point that had not occured to me as I simply thought about on the track and not in the sack.:what::thumbsup:

I don't know about 10, but one of my favourite horses of all time has to be Lammtarra.

I backed it at 14/1 for the English Derby having never raced before in the UK. This horse was soooo hot. I remember Walter Swinburn (the jockey) saying before the race - "Back this horse, it will not lose!".

Lammtarra flew out of the pack in the final furlong or so to take the 1st prize and as far as I remember he won it the quickest time ever.

Needless to say he went on to win the King George and the Arc.

What a horse!!!!!

Did none of you ever see "
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
" in action? Seriously best horse of the modern era I ever saw myself.

Yes mate!

I went to Sandown to see her run. An incredibly fast 5 furlong sprinter.

I remember Lochsong was soooo good the bookies used to bet without her all the time.

Wot a buzz....!!!

Nice memory Simmo....:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back