The UN is about to TAX the Internet!

P.V.

Dormant Account
webmeister
U.S. Ambassador Terry Kramer warned on Friday that a proposal to give a United Nations agency more control over the Internet is gaining momentum in other countries.

Proposals to expand the U.N.’s International Telecommunications Union’s (ITU) authority over the Internet could come up at a treaty conference in Dubai in December. European telecommunications companies are pushing a plan that would create new rules that would allow them to charge more to carry international traffic.

The proposal by the European Telecommunications Network Operators’ Association could force websites like Google, Facebook and Netflix to pay fees to network operators around the world.

Article link:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Sign the petition -
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

So, the USA is all for a free internet free from government control.

BOLLOCKS!!

The US government have already shown a willingness to use internet censorship on a wide scale, including seizing the domains of perfectly legal businesses just because the end in (dot)com and violate laws and regulations specific to the US. The US also try to stifle internet commerce by taking measures intended to prevent US citizens spending their money abroad on activities that are deemed "protected" in terms of state-supplier carve outs.

Google already implement country specific censorship of some content, which means the content itself is not at issue, just from where it is viewed - hardly a free and open internet.

This treaty is more to do with big telecoms companies wanting payment for providing the international backbone of the internet, rather than censorship and stifling innovations. I suspect the REAL reason for the US opposing it is the fact that it is big AMERICAN companies that are firmly in the sights of the telecoms companies' search for the additional revenue.

If the US is against it, both Democrats and Republicans, I am all for it:p

4 me the internet is like an all u can eat buffet...
i pay my ISP, doors open... and then download the sh!t out of it

maintaining my 300gb/month downloading avg since my 120mbit connection as of early 2009

let them tax the .... out of it

This was the reply from a letter I sent to my Senator concerning this issue.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office with your concerns about the United Nations (UN) and Internet freedom. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

As you noted, the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) will be held in Dubai in December 2012 to discuss International Telecommunications Regulations (ITRs). These ITRs impact the way in which Americans communicate on a daily basis, and I will closely monitor this conference and any subsequent treaty which the Senate would have to approve. I share your concerns about this conference and am committed to ensuring that any efforts to change ITRs are carried out in a way that fosters Internet commerce and innovation.

Additionally, I believe it is important for the security and prosperity of the United States to remain engaged in a variety of international organizations. However, I believe that the UN is in need of reform and that the U.S. should provide a strong voice for change within the body, and promote the values of human rights, democracy, and rule of law to member countries.

The insight that your letter has provided my staff and me will certainly help us better engage my colleagues should a treaty or any legislation regarding the Internet come before me in the Senate.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope that your will continue to share your thoughts with me throughout the course of my term.

4 me the internet is like an all u can eat buffet...
i pay my ISP, doors open... and then download the sh!t out of it

maintaining my 300gb/month downloading avg since my 120mbit connection as of early 2009

let them tax the .... out of it

....but, this will mean that "all you can eat" internet will become a metered service like Electricity as the "tax" will be per Gig of data carried.

Every single time that I hear about the UN, they propose sh*t to restrict my freedom and try to bring the 1st world to 3rd world level. I'm thinking about the gun laws, the anti pollution measures and now the internet laws. Those are laws made for 3rd world countries where there are genocides or heavy abuse and sh*t.

"See this country in Africa? They have children armed with AK-47's. Please Canada, sign the arms treaty"

How about no? I want no part of their BS and I'm not concerned one bit about what's going on over there. Canada isn't Rwanda.

Stay out of my life, UN.

THE US THE US THE US !!! The land of the free....is worse than USSR at its best!!! they wanna dictate your moves and tax you to death . used to be a great country

The governments get their slice of the telco internet and mobile market through the issue of spectrum licenses and the telcos already charge each other for cable usage through inward and outward capacity charges.

I think you can assume this is more about regulation than revenue.

Every single time that I hear about the UN, they propose sh*t to restrict my freedom and try to bring the 1st world to 3rd world level. I'm thinking about the gun laws, the anti pollution measures and now the internet laws. Those are laws made for 3rd world countries where there are genocides or heavy abuse and sh*t.

"See this country in Africa? They have children armed with AK-47's. Please Canada, sign the arms treaty"

How about no? I want no part of their BS and I'm not concerned one bit about what's going on over there. Canada isn't Rwanda.

Stay out of my life, UN.

Maybe Canada isn't part of Rwanda but it is part of the world- some of us are concerned about what goes on in other countries because we just might care about other people- and our families and children will inherit the the problems of not fixing the mess we make now.

Oh yes Colly is indeed a bleeding heart left wing liberal card carrying greeny feminist that adopts strays (just thought I'd say it before someone else did:D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back