Speak out against the UIGEA

jetset

RIP Brian
PLAYERS URGED TO MOBILISE AGAINST UIGEA

Major gambling information portals and operators are urging the player community to voice their disapproval

Following discussions at political and ownership levels, many online gambling operators and information portal owners are collaborating in trying to mobilise a major wave of player support for the efforts of Congressman Barney Frank to repeal the US Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.

The Act was passed in questionable circumstances late last year and seeks to prevent or disrupt financial transactions with online gambling sites, effectively preventing players from enjoying their pastime of choice without actually making it a crime.

Congressman Frank has said that he intends to introduce his proposal that the Act be repealed within the next two weeks, and he has indicated that a strong show of public abhorrence for the Act will be a deciding factor in how his initiative is received by Washington politicians. Although other politicians are intent on proposing an enquiry into online gambling, or exempting poker from its provisions Frank is going straight for the Act's jugular with a repeal attempt.

Just one of several sites where players can voice their support for the repeal is the petition at
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

The campaign has apparently struck a chord with US players; Congressman Frank has already acknowledged that players have been writing in, and he and his colleagues are pleased with progress thus far.

But it is early days, and to be effective a major and sustained effort to publicise the "Repeal the UIGEA" initiative is essential from online gambling portals and operators, who can assist to mobilise the extensive US player community by providing the contact details of individual political representatives and keeping players up to date on developments.

One portal is already displaying five major talking points on the UIGEA, together with a list of Congressional contacts. This can be found at

For those of you that have not.... PLEASE take a minute and sign the petition. We may never get another chance like this to repeal the UIGEA...
TAKE ACTION NOW!

REPEAL THE UIGEA

A key element in Congressman Frank's plan to repeal the UIGEA is public support

When he announced his plan to propose the repeal of the Unlawful Internet Gambing Enforcement Act recently, Congressman Barney Frank said that a significant public outcry against the Act, which disrupts the ability of American online gamblers to make financial transactions in their legal pastime of choice, would be a critical element.

Soon after that, online gambling portals and operators began taking the initiative to mobilise player support for Frank's efforts, providing contact details for politicians and a petition at

The petition reads:

Repeal Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act

Dear Members of Congress,

As an American, I am outraged to learn that Congress has passed legislation that will severely restrict my ability to have certain freedoms in my own home.

Unfair passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act is clearly designed to restrict the freedoms of voters who sent you to office to represent them, and prevent us from making mature decisions about how we spend our leisure time and money.

I am further outraged to learn that the bill was added at a late hour to the Safe Port Security Bill without the ability of debate and only 15 minutes prior to a vote on a must pass bill.

It is improper for Congress to declare itself the overseer of American Morals and to enact legislation that dictates ideology instead of common sense.

The United States, in so enacting this law, has willfully violated World Trade Organization rules and the WTO has ruled against the United States on this issue, in favor of the country of Antigua. Now the European Union is considering similar action as this is seen globally as protectionism.

I urge you to use your considerable power and influence to ensure that this unfair legislation is repealed post haste, and our right to freedom is preserved.

I understand and agree that by signing this petition, I am in favor of the repeal of the UIGEA

The petition does not highlight the hypocrisy of the Act, which discriminates against online gambling with the exception of horse racing, state lottery and fantasy sports carve-outs against a background of a country where many other forms of gambling are widely accepted and regulated, benefitting state tax coffers.

One portal is already displaying five major talking points on the UIGEA, together with a list of Congressional contacts. This can be found at

A list can also be found on the main site, it may need updating though:
Old URL

Update

THURSDAY IS R-DAY

Congressman Frank plans to launch his proposal to repeal the UIGEA Thursday

Both international wire services and mainstream media are currently reporting widely on the first serious challenge to the U.S. Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act - a repeal attempt that the Democrat chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, Congressman Barney Frank will soon launch.

Frank said at a banking function that he will make his initial moves as early as Thursday, but he has emphasised that significant player support will improve the chances of getting the much criticised UIGEA off the books.

Speaking to a community bankers group, the Massachusetts Democrat called Internet gambling a "victimless crime."

"Why anyone thinks it is any of my business why some adult wants to gamble is absolutely beyond me," The Congressman said in his address. "I spend a lot of my time trying to protect people from other people who are going to treat them unfairly," Frank said in a speech before the Independent Community Bankers of America. "I have no energy left for protecting people from themselves."

After the speech, Frank, who took over as chairman of the influential House Financial Services Committee this year, declined to provide details of the planned legislation.

Andrew Parmentier, a senior policy analyst at Friedman Billings Ramsey, said he believes the bill could make headway. "Absolutely there's a chance" for reform of the law, he said in a telephone interview with Marketing Watch.

The estimated 12 million to 20 million online gamblers in the U.S. contribute more than half the industry's estimated worldwide annual revenues, last conservatively estimated at $12 billion, according to the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Centre.

Frank is expected to outline details of his bill at a press conference at 10 a.m. (1400 GMT) on Thursday, a spokesman said.

In the meantime, players and industry folk alike are being urged to make their opposition to the UIGEA known. A list of contact numbers for political representatives in the USA is now available at Old URL and several other sites, and a petition at
is reportedly attracting signatures at the estimated rate of over 100 an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back