Singer opens online poker room

jetset

RIP Brian
SINGING STAR GETTING INTO ONLINE POKER

But Robbie Williams is already under attack for his new website

The UK mainstream media is currently reporting criticism of singing star Robbie Williams' decision to enter the world of online poker, quoting an 'outraged' Liberal Democrat politician.

The Robbie Williams poker community, to be launched online this year at
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
, says the main focus is “fun” but some of the games cost money.

The site, which is currently in beta mode, appears to be powered by the Beograd, Serbia software developer Pokermania.

In a rather harsh attack, the Lib Dem MP Tessa Munt said the thirty-seven-year-old Take That singer should know all about addiction as he was once dependent on prescription drugs. She claims the official Robbie Williams poker site could prove dangerous for his young fans.

"I am absolutely outraged by this," Munt told reporters. "I think it is deplorable. Robbie Williams of all people should be sensitive to the problem of addiction. I don't believe there is anything harmless about gambling in this way. The problem is escalation, and he must know what this is like. There's no excuse for doing this.

"Young people are hugely susceptible to this sort of advertising and I am totally opposed to it. It directly targets his fans, including a new generation of children".

Media reports suggest that 'thousands of Williams' fans' were sent email invitations to join the gaming site, which allows players to compete to win merchandise, concert tickets and a chance to meet the Angels hitmaker.

Information on the site includes the comment: "Our online poker room is the place where poker players and Robbie Williams fans play each other to score great prizes and create the craziest avatars! So get your poker face on for free online poker tournaments and perfect your Holdem Poker skills. This is NOT a Gambling Offer. You play in all games with virtual game money with no value.

"Robbie Williams Poker lets you experience the latest fun poker features and is great to play and be social. No downloads necessary to enjoy the slickest online poker for both pros and beginners."

Who the hell are politicians to question the morality of anyone?, if 18+ year old`s are going to waste money in hope of speaking to their idol, then they have far bigger problems than gambling.

What next - Oliver Reed/George Best preaching the dangers of drinking (via a good clairvoyant ofc), Gary Glitter`s seminar on the immoralities of under age sex maybe.

Nothing grinds my gears more than politicians spouting moral related crap.

You play in all games with virtual game money with no value.

Maybe the politician should go take a really, really good look at Facebook and Fantasy Football, etc., etc.

But then we all know politicians aren't the best in the world at reason and logic.

Edited to add: I have no clue who Robbie Williams is.... LOL

Who the hell are politicians to question the morality of anyone?, if 18+ year old`s are going to waste money in hope of speaking to their idol, then they have far bigger problems than gambling.

What next - Oliver Reed/George Best preaching the dangers of drinking (via a good clairvoyant ofc), Gary Glitter`s seminar on the immoralities of under age sex maybe.

Nothing grinds my gears more than politicians spouting moral related crap.

It's their stock in trade everywhere :eek:

Who is this Williams dude ?

Robbie Williams is a famous singer from England. He never really made it HUGE in the US.

I'm not sure about his status in Europe...

As for the rest? Who gives a toss if some kids learn to play a card-game online :what:

Here's the fact: If someone wants to do something like say.. Gamble.. They'll find a way to do it.

Far better with fake money and Robbie Williams than a couple of dogs and a fighting pit.

Robbie Williams was a part of a HUGE boyband that hit all over Europe called TAKE THAT!
HE then had his own Solo Carrier and actually made one of my favourite songs =)

Angels...

PS, I LOVE when he just "gives up" and lets the audience take over =)

Last edited by a moderator:
A great entertainer - I can recall seeing some of his television spectaculars and he has a lot of charisma. I think Sony signed him for a $20 million contract at one stage of his career - one of the biggest deals of its kind at the time.

Unfortunately, and like so many others in that business, he had addiction problems that did neither him or his career much good, although I heard more recently that he and Take That got together to do some stuff.

But he never really cracked it in America, did he?

Maybe the politician should go take a really, really good look at Facebook and Fantasy Football, etc., etc.

But then we all know politicians aren't the best in the world at reason and logic.

Edited to add: I have no clue who Robbie Williams is.... LOL

I have no clue either!!! :D At first glance I thought that they had given actor Robin Williams a nickname and that he was making a poker site.

A great entertainer - I can recall seeing some of his television spectaculars and he has a lot of charisma.

Yes, I agree. He is a great entertainer (although not the best singer). I must admit that I have a couple of his live shows on DVD (Royal Albert Hall and Knebworth). Great shows !

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back