Russia urges adoption freeze after boy returned as parcel

SlotMonster

Twitch Streamer - Affiliate
webmeister
It's unbelievable...I just can't say a single word...well, I can say something...
WHAT A F***ING B*TCH ARE YOU, TORRY HANSEN!!!

By NATALIYA VASILYEVA
The Associated Press

MOSCOW — Russia's foreign minister urged Friday that child adoptions to the U.S. be frozen after an American woman put an 8-year-old Russian boy she had adopted on a one-way flight back to his homeland unaccompanied.

Artyom Savelyev, who carried the adoptive name Justin Hansen, got off a flight from Washington on Thursday at a Moscow airport, the Kremlin children's rights office said Friday.

The office said he was carrying a letter from his adoptive parent, Torry Hansen of Shelbyville, Tennessee, saying she was returning him due to severe psychological problems.

"This child is mentally unstable. He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues," the letter said, according to Russian officials, who sent what they said was a copy to The Associated Press.

The U.S. ambassador to Russia, John Beyrle, said he was "deeply shocked by the news" and "very angry that any family would act so callously toward a child that they had legally adopted."

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying the ministry would recommend that the U.S. and Russia hammer out an agreement before any new adoptions are allowed.

"We have taken the decision ... to suggest a freeze on any adoptions to American families until Russia and the USA sign an international agreement" on the conditions for adoptions and the obligations of host families, Lavrov was quoted as saying.

Lavrov said the U.S. had refused to negotiate such an accord in the past but "the recent event was the last straw.

YouTube video:

Here is the photo of the letter, Artem gave it to Russian authorities:
Old Attachment (Invalid)

More links:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my local news station

Link Removed (invalid URL)

It will be interesting to see what the mother has to say, we have some of the best hospitals in Tennessee, Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital is among the top in the nation dealing with Childrens issues and they do have outreach programs to help families, it would have been less than an hour drive for her had she wanted to truly help this child.

If i hear anything else from the local news i will keep you updated SM as im a mother and following this local story on the news with much interest.

Not all American families that adopt international children should be put in the same catagory as this woman imo.

Laurie

This woman is the exception rather than the rule. Unfortunately it was a child that has suffered. I know several people that have adopted children from different countries...they would never, ever, have done something like this.

When US parents adopt a child, doesn't that child automatically get US citizenship? How did she get the boy on the plane alone?

When US parents adopt a child, doesn't that child automatically get US citizenship? How did she get the boy on the plane alone?
Partial answer=Shelbyville is ~ 60 miles from the Nashville Airport where I assume the grandmother and child flew to Washington. I know Travis (a former writer for the Nashville newspaper) who is a contributing writer to this article so I will email him for more info.
Link Removed (invalid URL)

"Nancy Hansen, the grandmother, told The Associated Press that she and the boy flew to Washington and she put the child on the plane with the note from her daughter. She vehemently rejected assertions of child abandonment by Russian authorities, saying he was watched over by a United Airlines stewardess and the family paid a man $200 to pick the boy up at the Moscow airport and take him to the Russian Education and Science Ministry."

He travelled on an expired visa also from what i gathered from the local news, havent heard much more from the local chatter but will keep SM posted when i do hear something as i live close to Bedford county.

Im not sure on the citizenship, i would imagine it would be dual but not 100%sure...........Laurie

I have empathy for this woman.....and you are probably thinking what :what: and that I'm crazy. I feel bad for her in that she was probably desperate and that she did something that will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Let me tell you why I feel this way but before I start let me say I am not condoning her sending the child back to Russia. I don't usually share personal information on a public forum but yet I wanted to speak out and hopefully some of you might see that the situation with the woman sending the child back to Russia is probably not as cut and dried as it seems. From what I've read this woman assumed she was getting a healthy child, mentally and physically. Apparently the boy has some severe mental issues that she probably had no idea how to cope with and she probably felt completely overwhelmed and may not have had family and friends to support her and she may not have been able to reach out to the correct medical people for help either. Of course I could be wrong and she could be just a cold hearted bitch, who couldn't accept less than a perfect child, but I doubt that is the case. The woman was most likely completely desperate.

I have a daughter who is 19 years old, she was born with severe birth defects which has resulted in her having the capabilities of an infant, so she requires round the clock care. Everything must be done for her and she is completely dependent on me for all her needs. She hears very little and can not walk and can not speak, her communication is very limited in that she can not speak but she is able to communicate some things to me by pointing my hand in a certain direction. Some of her behaviors are autistic in nature as she has never liked to be touched or hugged except only rarely but yet I've always believed that there is a lot more going on in her little head than she is capable of expressing. As you can imagine she gets agitated at times and frustrated in her limited ability to have her wants and needs met and yes sometimes she gets violent toward me. The violence has been the hardest aspect of taking care of her that I've had to deal with. It's taken me a long time to come to some peace about it because I used to feel guilty in that it would make me angry and completely frustrated and at a loss of what to do. Having someone that you give everything to, turn on you in a physical violent way makes you feel desperate and there were plenty of times when I have thought I can handle anything but I can NOT deal with that, but somehow I found the strength to make it through that episode and once again the daughter that is mostly sweet and not to hard to care for would return. At those difficult times in my fantasy world, I would have just liked to walk away, get on a plane and fly somewhere and pretend I wasn't her mother.

I'm just pointing out in how I've struggled with the issue of having a child who is sometimes violent and the feelings that it's brought up in me and how difficult it's been. I've had 19 years of practice at it, so I can not imagine how hard it was for this woman who had no idea that she was going to be dealing with a child like that. Before I had my daughter I tended to be a lot more judgmental about other people's choices regarding their children, but having her has taught me so much. The first time that my ex and I sat down with the doctors right after her birth and were told of the bleak picture they presented, the dr discussed the option of an institution. Without thought or discussion I said......we'll take her home. Does that make me better than someone who chooses not to take care of their child at home.....not at all and if anything I've learned a lot more tolerance for someone's else's viewpoint that is different than my own.

In closing I just wanted to present something for others to think about and maybe you can find a little bit of empathy for what she did. Again, I'm not saying she should have dumped him, but if the little boy truly was what she had written in the letter, she may have been doing the best that she knew how to do for him and her.

Last edited:
Citizenship=

Visas & Citizenship

"The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 became effective on February 27, 2001, and has apparently created quite some confusion. Patti Urban, of Legal-Eaze, says, "Every child (adopted abroad) currently entering the U.S. must go through Immigration upon arrival. BCIS issues a Permanent Resident Card (even though, technically, if your child arrives on an IR-3 visa he/she is already a U.S. citizen). Your child, however, still retains the permanent resident status on the records with BCIS until a Certificate of Citizenship is issued. The only way to get the BCIS to change the status to U.S. citizen is to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. Forget about the passport unless you plan to take your child out of the U.S. The certificate of citizenship costs $145. It lasts a lifetime. Passports have to be renewed every 5 years until the child is 16; every 10 years after that -- for life! After all the money spent on home studies and social workers and adoption agencies and dossiers and overseas travel, why balk at the most important document your child will ever need. While your child may well be a citizen, you have to prove it.".............................."

I find you're thread title to be more than just a little misleading. A 'parcel' travels much cheaper than a 'passenger' such as UPS, FED-EX, or USPS PARCEL-POST packages. This kid had a seat in the passenger cabin, after all, not a crate in the cargo bin. I'm very disappointed that the reality is so much less intriguing than what was implied. I suppose the Hanson's didn't include a due bill for expenses incurred including possible damages while young Artyom was under their care? Pinned to the child's lapel, perhaps? Had he actually been "shipped" via UPS, C.O.D., I might be a little less puzzled about your advanced degree of outrage.

I think these countries should put all of their available kids in a catalog like Lands End with a finite price list and a no fault, money back guarantee against any and all defects. If international child adoption were a for-profit business as it should be, competition and naturally occurring market fluctuations would ensure a better value for prospective parents (customers) as well as better care (upkeep) for the child (product). Instead they act like they're doing prospective U.S. parents a favor. When's the last time a Vladivostok couple flew to Detroit in search of a child to adopt? Ban future U.S. adoptions, indeed! I pity the fool who made that decision once Angelina hears about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back