Redecorating

immortality

Dormant account
So I'm in the process of tidying up the house, currently I'm stuck in what colors to paint my bedroom, I was thinking of a teal color but I can't decide which color would be best to go with this color, or if I'll like it when it's finished, I'm trying to get some ideas (yes I have got a color chart).

I'm looking to paint 2 colors so any ideas would be extremely welcome, thanks:)

If you are going for a monochrome scheme then you would either go a shade darker than the 1st color or a shade lighter.

If you are going for a contrasting shade to the 1st color then you would go with a color that is directly opposite on the color wheel.

Just my thoughts:)

Real_Color_Wheel_475.jpg

If you are going for a monochrome scheme then you would either go a shade darker than the 1st color or a shade lighter.

If you are going for a contrasting shade to the 1st color then you would go with a color that is directly opposite on the color wheel.

Just my thoughts:)

View attachment 35022

Thanks Beth, I've never seen a color chart like this one :cool:

Your welcome-I had thought about going in to this field at one time. My suggestions are just what would be most pleasing to the eye.

But whatever you pick-just make it what you like best:)

Can I ask you, what colors you would pick, my first choice was teal and maybe like a sandy color of cream, but I'm not sure, I'd like neutral colors that aren't bright.

Can I ask you, what colors you would pick, my first choice was teal and maybe like a sandy color of cream, but I'm not sure, I'd like neutral colors that aren't bright.

Jasmine makes a good point-I have decorated whole rooms around 1 decorative pillow before.

Teal is one of my fav colors-It was my color for my wedding.

Where are you thinking about using it? ie: Teal on the wall and the sandy color on the trim?

Have you got the bedding and drapes you want? It's much easier to match paint to those then to try to find what you want to match your walls.

I have curtains picked out, but I'm awkward LOL I like to choose my paint then find the curtains and bedding after the walls are finished.

The last time we were trying to decide a color scheme to paint the outside of one of the pubs at work-we used an online virtual paint program.

It lets you pick your color scheme and gives you a realistic idea of how the colors will look together. Here are 2 that we used.

Sherwin-Williams

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Valspar

Jasmine makes a good point-I have decorated whole rooms around 1 decorative pillow before.

Teal is one of my fav colors-It was my color for my wedding.

Where are you thinking about using it? ie: Teal on the wall and the sandy color on the trim?

I was thinking about painting opposite walls the same colour, with a lighter colour on the longer walls. The windows are on the longer wall, and my bed sits head first on the smaller wall,

Ok so you have a plan visualized then.

I would go with your first choice of Teal and make the 2nd color an extremely lighter version of Teal which the paint colorist can acheive by adding a lot of white.

Then for your accent colors around the room use a lot of contrasting colors to the teal like berry, gold.

But if the sandy color you like best then GO FOR IT:)

Just so you know-haven't had my coffee yet-must make a run to the store:D

Paint all the stationary objects black and everything else white. It looks like hell but it's really easy to find shit.

It's also a good idea if the bed and dressers are caution yellow. (safety first.)

I love teal...it is great with earth tones and I really love it with a chocolate brown or black. You could even do teal and gold for a Moroccan theme mixed with orange, cobalt blue and purple. Sounds funky ...i'm a color junkie... I make cake balls and other artsy confections for a living and I am dying to do a cake ball in teal, black and gold.

Outdated URL (Invalid)

Paint all the stationary objects black and everything else white. It looks like hell but it's really easy to find shit.

It's also a good idea if the bed and dressers are caution yellow. (safety first.)

LOL skiny, if I wanted my room like a bee, I'd move into a hive:p

Women just generate more work with their two colours schemes don`t they lol, don`t forget if you go for two colours you will need twice the tools - two rollers/scuttles, paint kettles, etcetera, as it`s your bedroom and we all know how a colour of a room reflects what mood we are in, I would go for hot colours to keep the flames of passion burning brightly ;), teal is a horrible colour and is only used by nature for colouring in boring stuff and female birds (we all know which sex of bird has all the vibrant colours don`t we :p and are appropriately called cocks :eek2:).

I would go for a mixture of of toned down yellow/terracotta.........

paint_tips_floor_plan.jpg

A few tips when buying paint, always buy a branded paint (I swear by Dulux, even though the removal of certain hazardous chemicals over the past few years has changed the way it works, it`s still one of the best out there next to Farrow and Ball), when I say branded I mean as in a well known brand of paint and not a paint bearing a name of a well known woman famous for fabric furnishings..... Dulux - made by the leading producer of chemicals in the world ICI, Laura Ashley - made by the same people who make curtains etc and Sunday dinners.

Alrighty, some tips when buying Dulux, never ever buy Dulux paint from a D.I.Y. store as there is a 100% chance that you will be buying Glidden paint, a less well known type of paint, but also made by ICI, buy paint from a painters merchants.

Types of emulsion - These range from a flat matt to vinyl silk, I would go for mid range in a bedroom - a soft sheen or a diamond matt, remember this - When using a paint with a shiny finish you cannot touch it up when the paint is dry, it does not absorb into it but sits on the surface and sticks out like a sore thumb, as does rolling over walls with Polyfilla in them, ALWAYS I REPEAT ALWAYS sand down the filla 1st and when you cut that wall in (going around the ceiling line and tops of skirting with a brush, paint over all the filla just prior to rolling).

For filling etc there are three basic types needed when using emulsion/oil base, your basic hole filler - Tetrion, Alabastine, Polyfilla, in between coats Ie. filling after a mist coat or 1st coat, and touch up filling - Fine fill, for this use Red Devil it`s awesome, and for hairline and basic cracks - Decorators Caulk, make sure you buy caulk and not mastic, there are huge differences between them.

For the ceiling use super matt, and for the woodwork - Satinwood.

For that professional look, whilst at the painter`s merchants buy some 80 grit sponge pads, when the 1st coat is bone dry use these over the wall to remove all the snots, thus giving a nice smooth finish and provides a key for the top coat, a necessity when using a paint with a shiny finish ;).

Hope this helps hun, you know where I am if you need help, and where most men will be when women start painting....down teh pub ;).

Women just generate more work with their two colours schemes don`t they lol, don`t forget if you go for two colours you will need twice the tools - two rollers/scuttles, paint kettles, etcetera, as it`s your bedroom and we all know how a colour of a room reflects what mood we are in, I would go for hot colours to keep the flames of passion burning brightly ;), teal is a horrible colour and is only used by nature for colouring in boring stuff and female birds (we all know which sex of bird has all the vibrant colours don`t we :p and are appropriately called cocks :eek2:).

I would go for a mixture of of toned down yellow/terracotta.........

View attachment 35024

A few tips when buying paint, always buy a branded paint (I swear by Dulux, even though the removal of certain hazardous chemicals over the past few years has changed the way it works, it`s still one of the best out there next to Farrow and Ball), when I say branded I mean as in a well known brand of paint and not a paint bearing a name of a well known woman famous for fabric furnishings..... Dulux - made by the leading producer of chemicals in the world ICI, Laura Ashley - made by the same people who make curtains etc and Sunday dinners.

Alrighty, some tips when buying Dulux, never ever buy Dulux paint from a D.I.Y. store as there is a 100% chance that you will be buying Glidden paint, a less well known type of paint, but also owned by Dulux, buy paint from a painters merchants.

Types of emulsion - These range from a flat matt to vinyl silk, I would go for mid range in a bedroom - a soft sheen or a diamond matt, remember this - When using a paint with a shiny finish you cannot touch it up when the paint is dry, it does not absorb into it but sits on the surface and sticks out like a sore thumb, as does rolling over walls with Polyfilla in them, ALWAYS I REPEAT ALWAYS sand down the filla 1st and when you cut that wall in (going around the ceiling line and tops of skirting with a brush, paint over all the filla just prior to rolling).

For filling etc there are three basic types needed when using emulsion/oil base, your basic hole filler - Tetrion, Alabaster, Polyfilla, in between coats Ie. filling after a mist coat or 1st coat, and touch up filling - Fine fill, for this use Red Devil it`s awesome, and for hairline and basic cracks - Decorators Caulk, make sure you buy caulk and not mastic, there are huge differences between them.

For the ceiling use super matt, and for the woodwork - Satinwood.

For that professional look, whilst at the painter`s merchants buy some 80 grit sponge pads, when the 1st coat is bone dry use these over the wall to remove all the snots, thus giving a nice smooth finish and provides a key for the top coat, a necessity when using a paint with a shiny finish ;).

Hope this helps hun, you know where I am if you need help, and where most men will be when women start painting....down teh pub ;).

HAHA Roy, there's NO snots on my wall, the kids are another exception thought, had to sand my kids wall:rolleyes: I have 2 rollers, thanks for the tips though, much appreciated:thumbsup:

Go check out the
site, maybe that will help.

First find the one main teal color you like, click on it and it opens a bunch of different shades so you can narrow it down, then click again and it shows some chips with complimentary/contrasting colors. The cool thing is that then if you find the perfect combination then you have the actual # for the colors too.

Personally I like to keep the walls a somewhat neutral-ish color so then you can add color with curtains or furniture and nothing clashes. Our living room is pretty small, so we kept it white, but did one wall and the entrance a color called "Peanut Butter" - the furniture we ended up with is a dark blue with little flecks of burgundy and white, and I made drapes from these burgundy tablecloths I found. It sounds like crap the way I'm describing it, but it actually looks really nice! :p

Go check out the
site, maybe that will help.

First find the one main teal color you like, click on it and it opens a bunch of different shades so you can narrow it down, then click again and it shows some chips with complimentary/contrasting colors. The cool thing is that then if you find the perfect combination then you have the actual # for the colors too.

Personally I like to keep the walls a somewhat neutral-ish color so then you can add color with curtains or furniture and nothing clashes. Our living room is pretty small, so we kept it white, but did one wall and the entrance a color called "Peanut Butter" - the furniture we ended up with is a dark blue with little flecks of burgundy and white, and I made drapes from these burgundy tablecloths I found. It sounds like crap the way I'm describing it, but it actually looks really nice! :p

Perfect Chayton thanks, I've found exactly what I needed from the link you provided:thumbsup:

Tucson teal and fresh olive, now I know what to buy, cheers :cool:

Perfect Chayton thanks, I've found exactly what I needed from the link you provided:thumbsup:

Tucson teal and fresh olive, now I know what to buy, cheers :cool:

Oh that's a nice combination, I had to go look it up. :) So now when you go to buy your paint, even if you don't go with Benjamin Moore, you can find the cards with those colors and match them with whatever brand you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back