NetEnt Jacks or better rigged?

El Helado Patat

Dormant account
Hi there.

I have been playing on a lot of NetEnt sites and have been playing mostly JoB and I have gotten sum very bad results after wagering over $100k or more and today, i busted another bonus. I play after wiz of odds optimal strategy and im down over 5000 and around 8000 with bonuses. Of course there is a lot of variance but seriously, after betting on 50handed JoB over 100k$ wagered, doesnt it seem strange to lose this much?

Hi there.

I have been playing on a lot of NetEnt sites and have been playing mostly JoB and I have gotten sum very bad results after wagering over $100k or more and today, i busted another bonus. I play after wiz of odds optimal strategy and im down over €5000 and around €8000 with bonuses. Of course there is a lot of variance but seriously, after betting on 50handed JoB over 100k$ wagered, doesnt it seem strange to lose this much?
If you are using the 9/6 strategy, there's your answer: you are playing the wrong game.

Net Entertainment's Jacks or Better has a slightly better paytable than traditional Jacks or Better. One of the biggest strategy changes is that you are supposed to keep four to an inside Straight (such as 2346, 2356, etc) if there is nothing better in the hand.

See my
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
page to get the strategy for Net Entertainment's paytable.

How much does it cost?

Could you please give me a rough estimation about the difference in house edge of playing 9/6 strategy on NetEnt's JoB? Afaik it pays 5 for the straight, 100 for the 4OK and 200 for SF, instead of 4/125/250 respectively. I feel that 4OK rarely interferes with the simple straight when making your decision on which cards to hold (i.e. mainly only low pairs should be discarded when having an open-ended straight draw as well), and SF hardly contributes to the total payout, and also not frequently interferes with the straight.
I believe playing 9/6 strategy would be very near to the 9/6 payout if you make the adaptation with the low pairs, and even without that it won't be very far from the 9/6 return...
Could you please confirm or comment?

Could you please give me a rough estimation about the difference in house edge of playing 9/6 strategy on NetEnt's JoB? Afaik it pays 5 for the straight, 100 for the 4OK and 200 for SF, instead of 4/125/250 respectively. I feel that 4OK rarely interferes with the simple straight when making your decision on which cards to hold (i.e. mainly only low pairs should be discarded when having an open-ended straight draw as well), and SF hardly contributes to the total payout, and also not frequently interferes with the straight.
I believe playing 9/6 strategy would be very near to the 9/6 payout if you make the adaptation with the low pairs, and even without that it won't be very far from the 9/6 return...
Could you please confirm or comment?
You are correct that the long-term return is not off by that much. Using 9/6 strategy on Net Entertainment's paytable returns 99.3763%, for a loss of 0.1676%.

However, I don't think that represents the bigger picture very well. Here is a comparison between perfect 9/6 strategy, perfect N/E strategy, and 9/6 strategy applied to the N/E paytable:

Old Attachment (Invalid)

With perfect 9/6 strategy, a Straight returns 4.4917%
With perfect N/E strategy, a Straight returns 7.6291%
With the wrong strategy, a Straight returns 5.6147% - a loss of just over 2% worth of EV from the Straight alone (the majority of which is shifted to other hands that either pay the same, or less, than the same hand in the 9/6 paytable).

Four of a Kind does interfere with Straights a little bit, although not too often. An example would be 22345 (unsuited) - in 9/6 you would keep the pair, but with N/E you break up the pair and go for the Straight.

With 9/6 strategy, a Straight occurs once every 89 hands on average. With perfect N/E strategy, it occurs more frequently at once every 65.5 hands.

This is all assuming that the OP is playing fullpay - lots of sites offer netent JOB at shortpay - ie. Expext has a version where the RF only pays about 1500.

In my experience it's BJ at Netent which is highly suspect, I almost always was down, over a long period - until I actually gave the whole game up & never played it again.

Hi there.

I have been playing on a lot of NetEnt sites and have been playing mostly JoB and I have gotten sum very bad results after wagering over $100k or more and today, i busted another bonus. I play after wiz of odds optimal strategy and im down over 5000 and around 8000 with bonuses. Of course there is a lot of variance but seriously, after betting on 50handed JoB over 100k$ wagered, doesnt it seem strange to lose this much?
You didn't list your bet size and didn't list how much over $100k your wagering was, so there is no way to estimate whether your results are normal or not. If you lost $8k in $100k wagering with a flat bet size of $0.05x50 and used the unmodified strategy discussed above, then your results would be abnormal. However, if you used a bet size of $1x50, your results would be reasonable.

If you are using the 9/6 strategy, there's your answer: you are playing the wrong game.

Net Entertainment's Jacks or Better has a slightly better paytable than traditional Jacks or Better. One of the biggest strategy changes is that you are supposed to keep four to an inside Straight (such as 2346, 2356, etc) if there is nothing better in the hand.

See my
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
page to get the strategy for Net Entertainment's paytable.
do you still have this netent paytable? The link is expired

Aye - even if it were still a valid link, I wouldn't rely on a strategy designed for an earlier version of the game.

Aye - even if it were still a valid link, I wouldn't rely on a strategy designed for an earlier version of the game.

What do you mean earlier version of the game? Is the Netent Jacks or better now being offered not the same?

Should i just follow the optimal play by wizard of odds for regular Jacksorbetter? even though straight does seem to pay better on Netent

I'm not a guy to advise on strategy.

However - games from 15 years ago will definitely have changed. Back then, you would've been looking at download clients and/or Flash games; these days, they all run in HTML in the browser. RTPs will also have been tweaked over time.

Even if the game looks the same, there will have been numerous Under The Bonnet (hood for Canadians!) changes which will affect any strategy advice, unless regularly updated.

I'm not a guy to advise on strategy.

However - games from 15 years ago will definitely have changed. Back then, you would've been looking at download clients and/or Flash games; these days, they all run in HTML in the browser. RTPs will also have been tweaked over time.

Even if the game looks the same, there will have been numerous Under The Bonnet (hood for Canadians!) changes which will affect any strategy advice, unless regularly updated.
Not necessarily with video poker, but maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back