Need Input - Software Experts / Programmers

Nate

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
webmeister
PABaccred
CAG
Hi,

I have a specific query. Is it possible when a 'General Upgrade' or 'Update' is dished out to a software provider that a game displays an Error?

I'll give you an example. Lets say Playtech updated their software but after the update the Fantastic 4 Slot displays an error when the Free Spins are Triggered. The Error just relates to what the text says when you trigger the Free Spins.

So lets say once you get the scatters, the game would normally say 'Congrats You have Won 5 free Spins x 8' ... But after the Update, the game now throws some other line like 'Congrats 5 Spins missing x missing'

This looks to me like a text string in the Game that has gone wrong; however, WHY would the Text String on a Slot be different to its original state unless somebody changed something to affect it? Would a general Update affect ONLY 1 game and why specifically on the Free Spins page?

Im just trying to understand and I know that it depends on what was updated. The thing is, did the update specifically target Fantastic 4 or could a general bug cause this?

Disclaimer - This is in no way related to Playtech or Fantastic 4 - Just a hypothetical Question. I know im being vague, but i will let on more information soon.

Nate

I'd say yes, absolutely. A glitched and/or buggy update could cause exactly that sort of thing to happen.

PS. Software Designer, etc 1980s and 90s.

So lets say once you get the scatters, the game would normally say 'Congrats You have Won 5 free Spins x 8' ... But after the Update, the game now throws some other line like 'Congrats 5 Spins missing x missing'

This looks to me like a text string in the Game that has gone wrong; however, WHY would the Text String on a Slot be different to its original state unless somebody changed something to affect it? Would a general Update affect ONLY 1 game and why specifically on the Free Spins page?

Im just trying to understand and I know that it depends on what was updated. The thing is, did the update specifically target Fantastic 4 or could a general bug cause this?

The example

It "could" be that they've reused the text-strings in several other games, and forgotten about this game. Then changed the text string and not bothered checking that it looks good on all games that uses the string.

The reasoning here could be that it first was a fixed string "Congrats You have Won 5 free Spins x 8". Then they wanted to reuse the text string (and all it's translated languages" on other games so they tweaked/split it into:

"Congratulations you have won " + number of free spins + "free spins x " + multiplier

Now, if the function they wrote to pull out the correct values for the game doesn't work on all games they use it on, the function may return a "missing" and thus you'd get "Congrats You have Won missing free Spins x missing"

Proper programming prevents poor products :)

Hi,

I have a specific query. Is it possible when a 'General Upgrade' or 'Update' is dished out to a software provider that a game displays an Error?

I'll give you an example. Lets say Playtech updated their software but after the update the Fantastic 4 Slot displays an error when the Free Spins are Triggered. The Error just relates to what the text says when you trigger the Free Spins.

Disclaimer - This is in no way related to Playtech or Fantastic 4 - Just a hypothetical Question. I know im being vague, but i will let on more information soon.

Nate

I am not to savy on your question.

But I am getting this at Nordicbet when ever I play Dead or Alive. After triggering the free spins it will say "Sticky wild x missing" or something like that.

I have just ignored it for now but maybe thats why I never see the wilds show up and stick :p

I am not to savy on your question.

But I am getting this at Nordicbet when ever I play Dead or Alive. After triggering the free spins it will say "Sticky wild x missing" or something like that.

I have just ignored it for now but maybe thats why I never see the wilds show up and stick :p

I know it says missing when I play too, but I must confess that I can't remember what it said those four times I hit all 5 wilds:eek2:
Promise to take a close look next time:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back