It is not hearsay fwiw and yep, before and after, I mean right after (but after is before until,lol)...I have a picture of Philly's 10 year tackle, #69 but prolly should not post online.
Being 10 to 15 years older as well as I hope considered a reputable business owner, than most of the NFL players I became close friends with, I had to distance myself eventually from the constant partying as I did not have the time, energy, and although generally conversative with a every now and then wild side, I ultimately was not comfortable with the situational risks.
That said, there were many positives including the insight to the NFL per se, a few close true friendships that I maintained (did post a few pics of one of my friend's retirement party this summer in a thread) and more.
Most of these guys are just kids out of college that are no different than their peers at that age or for that matter you or I at that age. The only difference I saw with some was they had a sense of entitlement, falsely.
However, as athletes the public has a totally different perception of the athlete , not only are these kids held to a higher standard but often perceived as larger than life glorified idols and role models (Thank You Charles Barkley

) not only by the youhg but also mature adults. I was just as guilty until I had to opportunity to learn that our percption is just not reality. A
21 old kid, maybe now with money, being swamped for autographs, get the picture. Some just are not yet mature enough or adjusted to handle the higher standard that is expected and they are held to. The media and it's scrutiny is no help and often viscious......Yes, I know the flipside arguements from the public, pay me millons and I would be perfect et al, ya think so???
The above said, most do adjust and mature (at least the few I know), marry (prolly a little too soon, lol) and have families and live responsible, productive lives. A good thing that evolves for most.